The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Just Curious!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 20:31:52
Hey guys Ross here. Just want to know why everyone got there pet snake or snakes! All my m8s say they are unusual pets (infact my best m8s girlfriend refuses to come round now) but i got mine because i think he would make an amazing pet! they are different and a nice change from the occasional goldfish! just curious to know why other people got theirs. x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PunkAsF82 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:22:53
well I got my Tartan when I was 15. I'd grown up loving snakes and had always watching Steve Irwin etc with my dad. And also the fact I learnt to read with snake books, our shelves are filled!

So for my bday i decided after all that time i'd get snakie. I was soooo happy :D Now I have 2 beardies and want even more!
Sammysnake Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:14:26
quote:
Had a wander through to Wath to have a look

Is that Wath-upon-Dearne by any chance?
Taz Devil Posted - 07/10/2009 : 16:24:26
I had always wanted a snake as a pet, for as long as I can remember, but I never really had the time or opportunity to get one.

Until recently I used to keep various species of Phasmids (Stick Insects) but the hunting around woodlands for food plants and the weekly clean out took it's toll on my poorly back.

After getting rid of some of the phasmids I was left with a large Exo Terra tank and thought it would be ideal for a snake. Had a look around various shops but nothing took my fancy. the the Doncaster IHS Show came to town (well close enough to me to get to). In preparation for the day I sold all my tanks, bought everything new and had it set up a week before the show so that I got the temps right (started out with a RUB). The day of the show came and after only 2 tables I saw the snake I wanted. A nice size, 2 years old, shedding and feeding (although the sex wasn't known at the time). £30 left my wallet and Sid came home with us. After about a month I got in touch with a guy who was at the Doncaster show who was selling fairly cheap vivs. Had a wander through to Wath to have a look and walked away with a viv and cupboard/stand for the slim price of £55.

Called to the Snake Shop at sheffield and had her sexed for free by the nice mister there, well I did walk away with a water dish, aspen bedding and wooden hide, so not 100% free.

The rest as they say is history.
Remmy Posted - 07/10/2009 : 13:44:24
I have always been interested in snakes and one day went with a friend as he was looking for fish and he said to the girl that worked their that i liked snakes and could i hold one. She got out a 5ft python and then i was hooked. Walked out with 2 corns.
inkiepixie Posted - 07/10/2009 : 13:37:51
quote:
Originally posted by SGrossyboi
The dreaded do u want to hold is a classic for the pet store staff

That's how I got Luna at the Doncaster IHS SHow...

Me: Oh look at this cute one!
Stallholder: Would you like to hold her?
Me: Oooh yes please...I'll have to buy her now though...ooh you sly bugger!
Stallholder:
n/a Posted - 07/10/2009 : 12:35:26
rly good stories here! The dreaded do u want to hold is a classic for the pet store staff...controlled by satan or something. Rly glad to hear about the rescue one, im all for rescue dogs and cats but never knew there were snakes lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 09:44:18
got Casper as a birthday present when I was 14- guess you could say I was a strange little girl! never really changed come to think of it...

I am a great lover of all animals (doing zoology at uni) but snakes just seem so... ancient. they fascinate me.
mushu was bought primarily to breed with casper, adn I'm not allowed any more snakes until I move out again. nasty daddy...
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2009 : 04:05:17
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

I guess I don't fit their sterotype of a snake owner - quiet, Christian, no tattoos! Still, I do have a Metallica album ()

I am exactly the same as you Sammysnake, except I dont have a Metallica album! xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/10/2009 : 23:41:42
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

it was the dreaded 'Do you want a hold?' at the pet shop for me while buying live food for lizards

Was similar to me, except I just went in to look at them.
Sammysnake Posted - 06/10/2009 : 23:37:40
I never thought about reptiles until my daughter got really interested in them at the age of 6. We started learning all about them through TV and zoo visits where she got to hold a Beardie (I didn't know until then they could be pets). She desperately wanted a lizard so daddy said if she still wanted one when she was 8, she could have it for her birthday. Well, 18 months later she was an obsessed reptile expert so we got her a Rankin's Dragon.

Every time we go to our local rep shop for food we stay for about an hour handling EVERYTHING. They are fabulous there and never tire of answering all Beth's questions. After cuddling Errol the Boa and Dave the Corn for some time, I was smitten. There really is no creature as unique as a snake in looks, movement, design etc. I also love the look of shock/horror/revulsion on lots of people's faces when I tell them I have a snake. I guess I don't fit their sterotype of a snake owner - quiet, Christian, no tattoos! Still, I do have a Metallica album ()

We've had Twilight about 3 weeks and have already agreed to get another Corn to fill his tank when he moves up. My husband is talking about getting his dad to build us a stack!!
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:16:25
hello i have had every pet out there but none were as cool or better then winston my corn snake
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 08:28:10
I was buying some fish food at my LFS when someone was handling a black and white cali king. I asked if I could have a hold cos I'd never held one... it was awsome. Next thing you no I'm reading up on snakes. I went to buy the cali king but it was already sold so I did more research and deciced on corn and have it's taken off from there.
At the minute I'm in two minds on what to get. I nearly came home with a royal at the weekend but then I handled a jaguar carpet python so I'm researching them as we speak they are mad and very attractive. but I'm not rushing in to it just yet as a mate of mine who owns one of the biggest collections of hots (rattle snakes and cobras)collections in Europe is off to Demark at the weekend for a show. He's going to keep a look for a differnt morph of royal for me. I like the spider morph and bumble bee and pied and.......it goes on and on. So whatch this space.

Cheers Brads
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 05:05:33
I fell for my hoggies when getting crickets for my gecko and its kind of spiralled from there. I'ts all Kizzigs fault really (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 00:42:50
we were offered 2 from a friend of a friend my OH always wanted snakes but he wanted royals and boas didnt think they were for me, we had our first 2 bonnie and clyde for over a year before we decided on another we got a hatchling for the first its been great seeing sneaky grow, we now have 8 and 2 on the way our collection will keep growing if OH gets on with building that racking system he promises lol
eeji Posted - 06/10/2009 : 00:08:45
it was the dreaded 'Do you want a hold?' at the pet shop for me while buying live food for lizards
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 23:33:16
I had never wanted one, I had never even thought about getting one until I met my boyfriend. When he told me he's always wanted a snake i was like 'ew' then we moved in together. One night he was googling them and and that's when I thought 'Aww' The next day we went to the shop just to look at them and so he could handle one... we came out with a setup then collected Oscar the next day :) I fell in love straight away now we have two :)
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 23:31:00
my first was a rescue ...was in a 2ft cage at 3 1/2 years old and you could see her back bone ..and she was offered to me so i took her and i havent looked back scince i now have 10 lol
Flatpack63 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 22:27:17
My friend son started to earn money and one day turned up at his house with a hatchling corn snake. The only problem was - she has an absolute phobia of snakes. About ten minutes later, I got a phone call asking if I wanted it because it couldn't stay in the house.
( Dont know why she phoned me. I suppose she was phoning everybody and I was the first one that said ok)
So, an hour later, I was the new owner of the hatchling and all of the equipment.
Earler this year I started looking into getting another one, so after finding some hatchlings for sale locally, I took the OH for a drive and we ended up at the shop. She fell inlove with one in particular, so now we have two.
(My plan worked)
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 21:45:51
I was never really a snake kinda guy to begin with. I started off with a leo after doing some research on t'intertubes (not sure why I was looking up reptiles at the time; maybe I was just bored one evening?). After realising that it wasn't as expensive as I'd always imagined and being the type of person who likes to be different, I'd thought I'd give them a go. Luckily, there was a herp shop just round the corner from where I was renting at the time. I'd always have a look at what they had in when I went to get food for the gecko and as time went on I found myself looking into other species. At that point a beardie seemed quite an interesting project but there were no plans to get one at that time. Until i visited the local herp shop and was adopted by a juvie beardie (he did nothing for any of the other customers, but when I walked by he was all glass dance and 'look at me'). How could I resist (especially with the other half at the time quite set on him too)? I put down my deposit and then spent the weekend building a viv for him! The years passed and I felt the call to expand again, but didn't have the time to maintain humidity for chams or water dragons (plus the stress issues for the animals), nor did I think I had the space or food budget for a dwarf spiny tail monitor! Somehow snakes started to grab my attention and the research began again. Then a few months ago everything just seemed to come together all at once; I had the money, the time, the motivation, the interest, a (relatively) local herp show and finally a stunning snake. I've not looked back since and am planning the next one!
Kellog Posted - 05/10/2009 : 21:43:07
Was born in Crawley, Surrey!! But then went straight to West Africa for a number of years, then South Africa, then Canada and finally back to SA. Moved back to England when my dad retired about 20 years ago. My twin and brother still live in SA and my other brother is in Canada....seem to have left siblings behind each time we moved! They all think I am crazy to have a snake!! Surprisingly enough my mum is actually quite interested - not to the point of holding him, but likes to look and has touched and you should have heard how excited she was when he began to feed after the 13 week fast!!! Had to hold the phone well away from my ear so as not to become deaf! xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000