The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Nervous/striking snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 19:11:00
Hi

We got our two yearling snakes yesterday - the man brought them to the house and was really great, showed me how to do things. Both snakes handled really well but were cold (don't know if that's relevant but worth mentioning). While he was here he showed me how to feed them so we fed the male, hence not handling him since.

However, on the two occasions I've been into the female's tub, she has struck at me immediately - she caught me four times yesterday but it didn't break the skin. However, if she's so nervous she acts like this now, I really need to fix things before she gets bigger. I've just offered her food and she was just striking it repeatedly in fear/anger rather than wanting to eat. She hisses, rattles and strikes as soon as you open the tub.

To be honest I don't know if this is normal for a yearling, but the man said they were really tame so I must have done something very wrong. I know she needs time to settle in but if you walk past the tub you can hear her strike at it.

I'm not being a wuss about being bitten, I have rescued rats with far more bite than any snake, but I do have kids to think about and I don't want her feeling so defensive she acts like this either as she can't be happy. I'm really hoping that once the male has pooed he proves to be handlable as this could really knock my confidence.

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Kathy
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 17:30:59
I can't thank you enough for your help and advice, it's really fantastic of you all. I'm not frightened of getting bitten, crikey I would never have had half the rescue rats I've had if I was (now they can bite!). There is a knee-jerk reaction there to jump out of my skin when she strikes, it's a bit like that build up in a horror film where you can see something's about to happen but it doesn't prepare you for the speed/shock lol. I can't see that feeling remaining if she continues as she has. However, I'm leaving her well alone like you've all recommended. And Paulusworm - thank you ever so much for the advice, I'm ready for the long haul with her if necessary (have rehabilitated other animals so have commitment), and very much appreciate the backup advice wise!
Paulusworm Posted - 06/10/2009 : 12:25:55
Hiya Kathy

What has already been said is sound advice. ASBO snakes are my speciality. What you have stated so far sounds very much like the behaviour of a much older corn that I recently rehomed. She came to me acting like a black mamba but left here tame as a puss cat. Time, patience and persistance are what you need plenty of. They view us as a big monkey that wants to eat them and it is down to you to prove her wrong. I won't lie to you, you will get tagged but it is no worse than holding a pin cushion a little too hard. Once she has had her settling in period try and use the same handwash/soap every time you need to feed her/change her water/clean her RUB. If you can show her that she is perfectly safe when she smells that scent then you are half way there. Stick with it and if you want any help or advice feel free to email me any time. My msn hotmail addy is on the bar above all of my posts.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 11:25:18
quote:
Originally posted by KathyM

Thank you all very much - that's encouraging to know. I thought at first it was a case of letting her settle in but because the male had fed while the old owner was here, I felt I had to get that done so she could settle in without going hungry. She took the mouse, and now I will leave her well alone to settle in. Hopefully she'll be a bit more chilled out when she's had some time. If not, we'll face things as and when.

I am assuming it would be inadvisable to put them in their new RUBS sooner rather than later, as the ones they are in are tiny and too small to fit two hides in? I don't know if she would settle quicker in a better setup where she can hide and get comfy. I have ordered 18L RUBs for them on Ebay, don't know when they'll come though lol.

That's ok. They'd probably need yet another full week or a bit more to get used to the new rubs, so I think I'd do it this way: leave them as they are for the time being until it's been at least a week since you got them, even if the new rubs arrive. At that point you'd want to feed them, so after they fed they can go into their new viv/rub and settle in with their bellies full. After that, you should be established.

n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 08:27:27
Thank you all very much - that's encouraging to know. I thought at first it was a case of letting her settle in but because the male had fed while the old owner was here, I felt I had to get that done so she could settle in without going hungry. She took the mouse, and now I will leave her well alone to settle in. Hopefully she'll be a bit more chilled out when she's had some time. If not, we'll face things as and when.

I am assuming it would be inadvisable to put them in their new RUBS sooner rather than later, as the ones they are in are tiny and too small to fit two hides in? I don't know if she would settle quicker in a better setup where she can hide and get comfy. I have ordered 18L RUBs for them on Ebay, don't know when they'll come though lol.
n/a Posted - 06/10/2009 : 00:45:52
i agree with everyone she should be left well alone for atleast 7 days she will need to get used to all different suroundings smells and noises, she will come round when she knows u aint a threat give it time xx
Kellog Posted - 05/10/2009 : 21:38:23
I agree with everything that has been said. To be honest I am surprised the man you got them from fed the male. They need time to settle and get over the stress of the move. Just be calm and quiet as you change the water, staying as far away from the snakes as possible so they dont feel threatened. Also putting something in with your smell on is a good idea too. It really is a case of patience and being calm. xxx
HannahB Posted - 05/10/2009 : 20:05:40
leave her for a week, just change the water and spot check her substrate every day.. maybe put a small bit of clothing in her viv with your scent on so she gets used to your scent..
like Hawk said shes probably just super nervous - im sure you would be if you had been bundled up and moved from one familiar place to an unfamiliar place with all new smells and faces..
she'll come round in her own time, might be an idea that when you do start handling her to just keep it to a max of 5 - 10mins, if she does tag you though dont back away - if you do it will probably convince her that you are the bad guys! just be confident aswell when you change the water - i made the mistake of hedging in and out when changing zero's water and as a result i got tagged...

hope she settles down soon
n/a Posted - 05/10/2009 : 19:37:41

Chances are she is normally tame like the guy said, just very scared right now, hence her behaviour towards you: she's just trying to make sure you don't eat her. She should be left alone for at least a week to settle in before you try to handle her in any way. Do not offer food during this time, just change her water.

Good luck and soon you'll have the lovely snake she most probably really is.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000