The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Success at last!! / Very strange first feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 18:45:34

Bear with me, I still need advice and this is going to be long...

After 6 weeks of unsuccessful attempts at feeding Shen, I finally took him to the shop where he came from to seek advice. The guy at the shop commented on how active he was (good) and then gave me two tails that he cut off of fully grown mice. The advice was to cut each tail in four and feed Shen two parts by holding him a certain way and then getting him to open his mouth for a quarter of a tail, then immediately after, the other quarter. Then let him be for two days, repeat with the other two quarters of the tail, and again with the other tail at two-three days intervals. Once done, offer a pinkie the usual way and he should take.

So I got home and it didn't take two long (seemed very long at the time, though) until Shen opened a mouth that seemed larger than himself and took the two quarter-tails no problem. (Whew!)

I got the feeling he was looking for more but didn't give him any more because I was unsure.

My question is this: should I follow the advice exactly as given, or can I try to get him to take down a pinkie same way he took the tail? I'm tempted to defrost a pinkie next feed and try that first and only try the tail-quarters if no success, but not sure it's a good idea. Also, since he still seemed hungry, how about getting him to take down more tail tonight? Or is this just me wanting him to be hungry?

What do you think?

P.S. The Hawk is ecstatic, very happy! So am I, also relieved, but won't feel we've arrived until I see Shen gulping down a pinke.

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/10/2009 : 02:13:18
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

its still force feeding because force/assisted feeding are different phrases for the same thing; im definately not opposed to it in any way...

Sure. I think the term "force feeding" conjures up images of using force to open the mouth, whereas "assisted feeding" conveys softer images. I don't think I could bear using actual force on him. That said, I've already told the Hawk that if Shen dares tag me I'll respond in kind.
Jono2411 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 01:18:47
its still force feeding because force/assisted feeding are different phrases for the same thing; im definately not opposed to it in any way...
n/a Posted - 03/10/2009 : 09:34:53
quote:

I do agree though, I would be interested in what 'those that know' feel about it. xxx

Your choice of folour for "those that know" is interesting... ...are you calling Kazerella?

You are right re the form of feeding, I don't think I'd know how to force Shen's mouth open even if I wanted to, I'd be too scared to harm him and would seek someone who knew what they were doing if it came to that. The way I was instructed to do it felt comfortable to me as a beginner, I'd say the only requirement is not to be robotic about it and kind of "work with the snake."
Kellog Posted - 03/10/2009 : 01:43:37
quote:

i think this is a good idea for the very short-term... on the other hand you do not want your nake to become overly used to force feeding as it may not take it any other way afterwards...

I know this is a way to assist feed, but I am not sure you would call it force feeding. By the sound of it after a short period of holding Shen opened his mouth wide and took the tail piece himself, so his mouth wasnt forced open and the tail wasnt forced down.

I know this is definitely not ideal, but it is definitely worth trying with a non-feeder for a few feeds before offering a full pinkie - I know certain non-feeders just need to be reminded how to feed and their digestive systems reminded of the feeling of hunger and to start working again. Hopefully this is what this is doing.

I do agree though, I would be interested in what 'those that know' feel about it. xxx
Jono2411 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 20:16:32
i think that would be fine... i was thinking more of people who have very long term non-feeders, dont you worry yourself about it... especially because the shop probably know more than i do :P
n/a Posted - 02/10/2009 : 17:36:02
quote:

i think this is a good idea for the very short-term... on the other hand you do not want your nake to become overly used to force feeding as it may not take it any other way afterwards... however, from what you said this shouldnt be too long so i'd stick with what the shop said... just wanted to add that pointer so that people dont use this method too often....

hope it all works out ok

Jono, how many times would be too much? If I follow the shop's advice to the letter, he gets four such feeds. Wouldn't that get him overly used to this way of feeding?

Jono2411 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 16:32:18
i think this is a good idea for the very short-term... on the other hand you do not want your nake to become overly used to force feeding as it may not take it any other way afterwards... however, from what you said this shouldnt be too long so i'd stick with what the shop said... just wanted to add that pointer so that people dont use this method too often....

hope it all works out ok
lee2308 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 14:25:21
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

we would need syringes to feed her it...

if you need oral syringes give me a shout,i have hundreds in my garage all sealed and sterial.
HannahB Posted - 02/10/2009 : 11:55:20
we would need syringes to feed her it...
lucifer Posted - 02/10/2009 : 09:36:45
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB
might have to tell luke to hold off with the blender and syringes as i want to try this with Aura..

Never mentioned syringes pinkie smoothie isn't that bad.
n/a Posted - 02/10/2009 : 09:30:49
Thanks!

HannahB, good luck with Aura!

Kellog, if it is indeed a good idea then it should probably be added to the non-feeders post, only being so new to the subject I have no idea if what I did should be passed on as standard advice or perhaps someone very experienced might give a reason why it shouldn't normally be done. I'd really like to have their feedback just for reassurance...
Kellog Posted - 02/10/2009 : 01:57:11
That is fantastic news Hawkeye - I am sure both you and the Hawk were so relieved. I know it is only a bit of tail so far but as Paula said hopefully it has reminded him of his natural instincts and what his prey tastes like. I was told that after Kellog had gone so long without food he might need reminding how and what to eat because they do almost forget. Definitely agree with what everyone has said about doing what the shop suggested, it has worked so far so dont mess with it and push Shen too quickly.

I have never heard of that advice before, maybe it would be good to add it to the list of advice for non-feeders ('those that know')

I know its hard being patient but it is baby steps and you are seeing progress - so congratulations to you and Shen! xxx
HannahB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 23:07:55
i think i am going to go round to my rep shop and see if he knows about what you were told..if your Shen can feed then my Little Aura will too theres hope for her yet!!
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 22:27:51
Right.... seems to be a consensus in favour of doing what the guy from the shop says, which means I'll have to be patient. On the other hand, I'll get to feed him every two days.

It's an awesome experience done that way at such close range, and there is the added satisfaction of not only getting him to feed but it seems I managed to guess correctly how to hold him to start with and when to change my hold on him so as to allow him to work the tail in comfort. I really like the little guy and somehow that seemed to help in getting in tune with him.
devilsmistress Posted - 01/10/2009 : 20:11:46
Id stick with what the shop said to much to soon might put him off, but thats great news he is feeding. I guess its a way of stimulating the natrual instincts really
Mnementh Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:19:57
That's great news , hopefully he will be back to eating pinkies in no time :)
HannahB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:03:04
well done thats great - it might not be a pinkie but it is definatly a start!!!

id keep to the advice from the shop - stick to the tails and then next time try a pinkie - you dont want to try too much to fast..

might have to tell luke to hold off with the blender and syringes as i want to try this with Aura..

really pleased hes eaten something!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000