The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 When is the right time

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 16:43:48
We have had Rossi for two weeks now...seems like years, she is still very shy, and has eaten since we have had her. she has just had a shed, which i am still tidyng up..messy moo. In your opinion how and when would you suggest trying the handle her, or do we just wait. she spends all day in the hide, and pops her head out very occasionally....also how on earth do you get the snake out without her thinking you are dinner?????, she was not handled alot by her previous owner, when i picked her up he suggested buying a wooden spoon so that she can wrap herself around it...i think that is what he did.Any ideas very welcome.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kizzig Posted - 02/10/2009 : 17:52:44
Hi Nicola,

We usually take the hides out when picking our guys up. Firstly, it saves them being squished, and secondly, there's so much more room to be able to get to them more easily. (Until they hide under the aspen...)

We usually hold their tails first with our stronger hands (both right handed) and then use our other hands to put under their necks to support them while lifting. (Then you have a good grip if they start to get the wriggly's! )

We always have kitchen roll prepared to put on our laps incase handling starts a "movement" (Not fun! ), and usually handle over the faun for the first couple of minutes until they settle properly.

We always use alcohol gel before and after (espcially after handling pinks), and they are pretty used to the smell of it so we don't tend to have a problem with them thinking we're nom nom's!

As the other guys have said, take it nice and slow and we're sure she'll be used to you handling her soon! You won't even remember that it was hard to start with!

Good Luck!!
Kellog Posted - 02/10/2009 : 02:21:32
Everything HannahB said is right...it really is just a question of taking it slow and steady and patience. If she is hiding then I would suggest removing the hide rather than just lifting it, cos then there is no risk of you dropping it on her if you are taken by surprise. It also means you have 2 hands to pick her up so she feels supported. Be calm and positive with your movements, no matter what she does. Just pick her up carefully, not touching her near her head or tail. Let her run through your fingers so you can get used to her and visa versa. Only keep her out for 5 minutes, then (having returned the hide) return her to the viv calmly, letting her slide out of your fingers. Try and do it without the gloves if possible.
You could also put a sock of yours into the viv so she gets even more used to your smell.
She is blessed being rescued by you Nicola, it is just going to take her some time to recover from her previous experience and learn to trust again.
xxx
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:28:58
I am not worried about being tagged, until it happens i dont know what it is like..pain wise.
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:11:27
She is a small 18 month old, she was a rescue
HannahB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 18:22:03
if shes a bigger snake and you are worried about being tagged put on a pair of clean gardening gloves or some normal latexy ones
Flatpack63 Posted - 01/10/2009 : 18:13:09
How old is she?
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 17:49:28
Thanks HannahB, i have been changing her water and tyding up after her without a problem. Thanks for the advice...by the way is the glove chain mail..LOL
HannahB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 16:58:16
Just put your hands into the faun/viv and be confident.. dont jerk your hand back and forth as she will get a bit spooked.. I used to gently lift a hide up and if Mont was under there just put my hand where the entrance was and let him come up to me..or I used to gently scoop him up and let him run through my fingers whilst holding him over the faun.. take it slowly and eventually she will get used to both you and being handled..
she might be a bit snappy if she wasnt handled much before but if you are worried about being tagged then put on a pair of gloves..but dont let her put you off if she starts rattling like a rattle snake - shes just trying to make herself seem more dangerous than she really is!!

edited to also add.. while you are getting used to holding her and visa versa try and keep it down to about 5-10mins 4-5 times a week..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000