The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 RUBs vs Fauns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 28/09/2009 : 22:24:58
Ok, I tried searching for topics along these lines, might be my browser or just too much traffic.

I read a couple of topics now on usiig RUBS as enclosures, so I am windering which one is generally classed as the best out of RUBs and Fauns. The thing that is putting me off RUBs is the amount of escapes I am reading about with regards to RUBs. Snakes escaping through gaps in the lids and such.

My question is why would you go out and buy a cheap RUBs have to make all the vent/wire holes yourself, and make sure it is escape proof, when with a faum all of this is taken care of? The fuan I was after getting was an Exo Terra Large Flat Faun, from what I can make out it has to access doors on top, vent holes and wire holes. Is this not better than a RUB as it was designed for reptiles? Are they escape proof?

Kind regards
Mick
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 29/09/2009 : 22:54:50
Well after all the advice and comments you have all put (thanks), I will get both, lol.

I'll prolly get the faun tomorrow if they have them in stock, then at a leter date get a small rub, and when I eventaully get my Corn I'll try out the faun, I'll do what Hannah did and place a book or something on the top while I am at work, then when I am home I'll take it off and test it's ingenuity. I think what I will also do is put paper towel or plant dcor down 3 sides just for some privacy.

Thanks everyone.
eeji Posted - 29/09/2009 : 21:43:51
i've never used a faun either and have all my adults in RUBs. The smaller ones are in pound shop RUB look-a-likes and the hatchlings are in small clip shut boxes from asda.

theres no need to make holes for wires and probes because it all sits underneath and not inside the tub, the only thing to do is make some vents (only takes 10 minutes to do the big tubs)

As for them being not totally transparent, this gives the snake a little extra privacy and security over clear glass.

they're set up inside fairly basic, just hemp substrate (kitchen roll for hatchlings), fake plant hides and a water dish.
LittleMick Posted - 29/09/2009 : 21:03:16
The RUBs look like they are made from misted plastic, so not totally see through? Don't you all miss not being able to see the snake unless you take the lid off? Did you all start off with enclosures other than RUBs? I guess as a reletively new pet keeper I just like to be able to turn round and see what ever creature I have is there. I thin partly pranoia but mainly I like watching their behaviour.
Do any of you try and create deisplay enclosures inside the RUBs? They just come across as "looking to move out" boxes, rather than a home for a creature. Or are you just providing the snakes basic needs?

I think really, in my mind I have a view of what the Corns future home would be and never pictured a storage box.

Would anyone be kind enough to show a setup or 2 of their RUBs, fauns, both hatchling and adult if they have the tme to spare please.

Regards
HannahB Posted - 29/09/2009 : 19:03:03
I was just curious to see if he would be able to push the lid up (without me sliding it across) and he did but he couldnt get himself out of it - he had a look through the gap and then decided not to try it after all..
thats why i put a book on top of them even when i do slide them across just incase i forget one time..

RUBs and fauns are both lockable - the RUBs have click down handles and the fauns have sliding across access doors..

oooh didnt know they did them that big Mnementh...might have to look into it
n/a Posted - 29/09/2009 : 10:32:33
i have used both for my corns, and find that the proper rubs are not a problem, had an escapee from a faun, but the lid was not secure, and i had to block up the tiny holes in the faun lid to prevent escape...

my preference is rubs...
n/a Posted - 29/09/2009 : 09:17:17
Hi All,

I've used two fauns so far for Frodo, moveing him up in size as he gets bigger. I have to say that I found the fauns to be really good. Never had an escape from them. I've just bought a 50L RUB which I'm going to set up over the next few days, I'll post the pics on my Frodo progression thread.

I've now got two fauns spare and a heat mat..... just two things missing..... another thermostst and a new royal...shhhhhhh don't tell the Mrs
lee2308 Posted - 29/09/2009 : 00:23:53
i dont trust fuans as i feel the lids could be pushed off but with rubs they have lockable handles
Mnementh Posted - 29/09/2009 : 00:03:56
All "really useful boxes" have snap closed handles over the lids .

Meant to say I've never used a faun at thhe end of my last post , edited it .

http://www.discountofficeproducts.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&including=all&substring=really+useful

Thats the proper rubs .
LittleMick Posted - 28/09/2009 : 23:14:09
I presume they are lockable? I mean, not with keys, but have like, lids that click into place? You were seeing if a Corn could push a loose lid off?
HannahB Posted - 28/09/2009 : 23:06:11
fauns are better for hatchlings imo.. so far *touch wood* none of mine have escaped from the fauns they are in, I put a book on the top of them just to keep the lids down - mont has pushed it up before when i didnt slide it across - little experiment i did with him lol..
LittleMick Posted - 28/09/2009 : 23:00:26
Yeah sorry, I meant to say it would be to hold a hatchling. But when it grows I would probably put it in a viv as I think that would make for a better display.
HannahB Posted - 28/09/2009 : 22:46:06
I have exo terras large fauns for my four but its the biggest size they do and I will have to get a RUB soon for Mont as hes going to be too big by the end of the year..

tbh i dont think any snake home whether it be viv, faun or rub can ever be totally escape proof..it can be the tightest fitting lid or glass door but all it takes is 30seconds of carelessness and one advantage taking snake to have an escapee..

for an adult snake a large exo terra just isnt big enough.. I will be putting mine in RUBs when they are older simply because they are cheaper than vivs but do exactly the same thing - yeah you have to put holes in it but i will only be putting them in the top and and the top of the sides, my heatmats will go underneath aswell so no need for wires going in and out..

i think it is down to personal preference though as some prefer to make their own vivs, buy them ready made and some prefer to adapt a RUB
Mnementh Posted - 28/09/2009 : 22:39:02
I would go with rubs all the way , but then I've never used a faunarium . Tbh the only time a corn will escape a rub is if you are putting a hatchling in a rub too big for it , there is a minute gap which some people say they can escape through . The only other way a corn can escape is if you dont secure the handles . And do they actually make fauns up to 50 litres or so for adult snakes , whereas you can use a rub for those .
You can also keep the temps better in a rub I believe , but like I say , never used a "Faun" :)

edit : Bah , meant to say I've never used a Faun at the end and not rub :P

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000