The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Back to civilization

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/09/2009 : 14:35:14
Hello folks, the Eye here. I've just returned to God's own country having been away for the past two weeks. The Hawk says Shen hasn't eaten in all this time, so today I'm going to try and feed him. At the moment pinkie is slowly defrosting and in half and hour it goes into a sandwich bag, then dunked in a cup of very warm water (not boiling though), then I'm going to brain it, put it on a plastic plate, and into the viv.

If anyone has suggestions for improvements, I'm all ears. This snake needs to eat before my hair falls off from worry, because he's 13 weeks old and last fed around 15 August, nearly 6 weeks ago!

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/10/2009 : 19:09:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

if im asking the obvious then please ignore it, but have you checked the basics? like the temps and how secure the snake will feel in the viv?
My pueblacorn had a problem feeding and i realised it was becuase the temperature was dropping too much at night so, being a plastic faunarium with too much ventilation, I covered the top and sides with a t-shirt so to keep the heat in (and add security). Now, *touch wood* she is feeding fine.
Although i cant see her becuase of the tshirt, when she has eaten enough to move to a wooden viv this will no longer be a problem...
Hope that will help

Hi Jono,

I don't mind at all being asked any question, I actually expect it to be something very basic and obvious when I finally find out what it is.

He feels secure, I think, because he alternates between resting in a hide or behind his log or sometimes in full view during the day, and going on exploration expeditions at night. Doesn't shy away when the Hawk puts a finger close to the transarent viv wall.

But check my other post in here, we've had a success, although a strange one... I'd like to have your input on that if possible.
Jono2411 Posted - 01/10/2009 : 18:29:15
if im asking the obvious then please ignore it, but have you checked the basics? like the temps and how secure the snake will feel in the viv?
My pueblacorn had a problem feeding and i realised it was becuase the temperature was dropping too much at night so, being a plastic faunarium with too much ventilation, I covered the top and sides with a t-shirt so to keep the heat in (and add security). Now, *touch wood* she is feeding fine.
Although i cant see her becuase of the tshirt, when she has eaten enough to move to a wooden viv this will no longer be a problem...
Hope that will help
HannahB Posted - 01/10/2009 : 17:56:05
try this - it was advice given to me by mnementh who uses it with one of his fussy eaters.. - put snake plus pinkie in a super small tub.. i used a small colselaw pot from tescos and put some airholes in it.. because it is so small there is no where for Shen to go apart from near the food.. if you leave him in it overnight just put a bottle lid with some water in the pot aswell..
might encourage him to eat?
Kellog Posted - 01/10/2009 : 10:40:52
So sorry Shen still isnt eating Hawkeye, had hoped the situation had changed by now. If you leave a pinkie in overnight dont leave it for any longer than 24hrs after you have defrosted it. Certainly worthwhile to try feeding in the box again. Put him in it with pinkie, cover and then leave him alone - no peeking! Hope something works soon. Am thinking of you all, especially the Hawk as I am sure this is scaring him. xxx
n/a Posted - 26/09/2009 : 10:12:19
quote:
Originally posted by Jen88

Hi
I don't know if this is useless advice because it sounds kind of backwards to me but..
when I first got Acorn (and I was listening to petshop advice :S) I tried to feed her two days after I had her while she was in her viv.
I tried wiggling it infront of her while she was in her hide and then I left it with her for about 2 hours in the dark and she didn't take it, so I got worried and read on the internet that some people feed outside the viv in separate boxes, so I put her back in the cricket box I'd brought her in and she ate straight away!! (I left her for a week to settle in then!)
Failing that have you tried leaving it in for a whole day or even two? I read somewhere that some snakes like going off mice...may have been someone on this forum or the "darkside".

I've only tried feeding in a separate box once, a week after he came home, but no success. A week ago the Hawk tried leaving pinkie in viv for 2 days, but again no success.

He seems to be doing well on the ReptoBoost but he cannot survive on that alone forever and I'm worrying that perhaps I'm doing something wrong and don't realise it, only I cannot think what that might be.

I'm going to try feeding in a box again, just to see if now that he's certainly used to his viv he'd eat in the box. I'll cover it with a kitchen towel so he doesn't feel exposed. Can't think of anything else to do at this point....
n/a Posted - 26/09/2009 : 03:59:14
Hi
I don't know if this is useless advice because it sounds kind of backwards to me but..
when I first got Acorn (and I was listening to petshop advice :S) I tried to feed her two days after I had her while she was in her viv.
I tried wiggling it infront of her while she was in her hide and then I left it with her for about 2 hours in the dark and she didn't take it, so I got worried and read on the internet that some people feed outside the viv in separate boxes, so I put her back in the cricket box I'd brought her in and she ate straight away!! (I left her for a week to settle in then!)
Failing that have you tried leaving it in for a whole day or even two? I read somewhere that some snakes like going off mice...may have been someone on this forum or the "darkside".
n/a Posted - 25/09/2009 : 17:22:02
hello my corn is 3 months old and i take him out of viv and put him in a smaller tub with the pinkie and leave him in there with it for about half hour and when i return hes eating it i just leave him to it and dont ditract him hope this helps
n/a Posted - 24/09/2009 : 22:06:41
Tried wiggling and polka and was willing to belly dance if only he'd eat, but all I got was a "freeze" meaning he stopped moving. Dumped pinkie back on the plate. I'll leave it in overnight and see in the morning.
HannahB Posted - 24/09/2009 : 21:50:25
if you havent tried the pinkie polka then i would give it a bash

welcome back btw
lee2308 Posted - 24/09/2009 : 18:53:11
rather than just offering it on a plate do you try wiggling it?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000