The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 unsociable cornsnake??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:27:59
hi,

i have a cornsnake, 2 and a half years old. i got her just over a year ago.
she didn't have the greatest start in life, being fed 1 or 2 pinkies once a week and kept in a poorly lit viv in someones attic.

now i have her, she has not improved at all. Will she??

i hardly ever see her out, she's "always" hiding away, when i get her out, she makes it really obvious she hates it, when feeding her, i put her into a plastic container and she rattles her tail and is very lively, she pounces on the mouse and thrashes around with it before eventually eating it. then, she is almost untouchable when putting her away, rattling her tail even more violently and whizzes away from me as fast as she can!!

if i go to get her out, she coils up like she's ready to pounce and attack me, even if its not feeding time.

is this becasue she is still relatively young??
or because she's had a rough start in life??

i have another snake who is about 15 and she is the most amazing friendly thing ever!!!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 18/09/2009 : 18:24:30
corns are naturally unsocial, so its 'normal' behaviour.
Kellog Posted - 18/09/2009 : 02:29:51
Hi Lola. Well done for rescuing your snake (name?), it is awful to hear of them being kept in those kind of conditions. I know it is no comparision but my snake suffered with 'mites' about 3 months and since then his behavior has totally changed, he spends all his time hiding in his hide. Think he must be suffering with post-traumatic stress and just hope that by leaving him alone will slowly give him a chance to recover. He is eating, which is a relief. If your snake has scars it sounds like she did live feed ocassionally, which would explain her extreme feeding actions. I think it truly is a case of patience. Definitely put something in the viv with your smell on it. Continue with handling her, maybe try everyday for 10 mins, except for the 48 hrs after a feed obviously.
Answer Kehhlyr's questions about size of snake and set up of viv....maybe even a pic of the viv would help. Just to confirm that her set-up is the best it could be. Does she drink and poo normally?
Well done again on rescuing her, it will be worth it in time. xxx
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 22:13:46
Awwwwwwww............so sad to her about her start in life, sounds like she is in the right hands now..........suppose you can never tell how long it will take to gain trust weather its a snake or human or any other animal, especially if it hasn't been treated right. Keep stickin at it hun, sonds like ur doing your best for her
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/09/2009 : 21:36:24
Also, roughly how long is she? and how big is the viv? and what do you have inside it??

These could also affect the 'rehabilitation' of an aggressive snake.
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 16:37:55
she's beautiful so i stick with her, perseverence is key i always think, with anything!!! lol!! She is orange and orange and red, haha, not sure what its called officially colourwise.

Every animal deserves a good life. thats what i aim to do!! i have seen her maybe twice at night time, infact 2 nights ago i did get a quick photo of her head and a few inches of body!!! as proof she exists, lol!!

slightly different, but I also have a cat with a similiar personality. i feed him and keep him warm, but he runs a mile if we go anywhere near him!!

there was other snakes with her, she was kept in a viv with her mum and dad, a brother and i think another one too. They were all under fed, and with being kept in the attic, i imagine never saw a person apart from feeding time, which was 1 lowsy pinky, or 2 if lucky. sad really. All her family are doing fine, my friend owns them. her mother has had 3 batches of eggs and produced some gorgeous babies!!!

Mnementh Posted - 17/09/2009 : 16:03:23
Tail rattling can be a sign of nervousness and agitation etc . From what I learned about this it was a kind of mimicry from the rattlesnake , the corn would vibrate it's tail in leaf litter etc , just so you know it was there .

All I can suggest is more regular handling , slow careful movements , try to let it know you are there by tapping on it's hide , viv etc when you are going to disturb her , this will let her know you are coming and not such a shock when suddenly having her hide removed etc .

A year is a long time , it must have been in quite a state .

I handle all mine around 3 times a week . More if I had the time lately but I think that is sufficient .

A lot of corns will hide away during the day , they will come out at night for a good forage around . My Amel being the exception to this , she is always nosing about and being inquisitive . So don't let that worry you .

This sounds like she has had a traumatic start in life , good on you keeping this up for her :)
n/a Posted - 17/09/2009 : 15:39:42
i've been trying for a year!!! lol!!!

she was not handled much until a couple of months before i had her, she was under weight too and has a numberof little scars on her body. like maybe she's been fed live at some point??? she is a fantastic feeder though, the best i have really!!!

this morning, i fed her and she launched at teh mouse i had in my hand for her and whipped herself around it, i nearly lost my hand!!! :)

and not to mention the tail rattling and twitching body!!!

does that mean she is hungry, in which case i guess she needs feeding more??? or is she just enthusiastic/keen to eat???

thanks guys

:)
Remmy Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:45:24
Sounds like she wasn`t treated very well before you had her. All you can do is keep on handling her so she gets used to you and knows you are not going to harm her, also try putting a piece of worn clothing in the viv so she gets used to your scent. This might take a while but dont give up.
lee2308 Posted - 17/09/2009 : 14:34:15
things will get better once it realises your not going to harm it,kee up with the interaction and things will improve but ay even take a few months.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000