The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Calci Sand ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 18:39:38
Hey im just wondering if anyone can tell me if i would be ok to use Calci sand with my corn ?

I ask because Khan is still pretty skittish when being handled and does not like being taken out. I am keeping with it to get him used to it but im thinking about for feeding. If i was able to use this i would be able to feed him in his tub so as to not stress him before trying to get him to eat without fear of him eating the substrate until he is more comfortable being handled.

What do you guys think ? And advice or ideas would be much appreciated.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PunkAsF82 Posted - 17/09/2009 : 11:40:31
cali sand is a hugeeee nono. it causes impaction far easier than most other substrates and its just horrible nasty icky stuff. corns wouldnt live on sand predominantly in the wild and they aren't designed fro it lol. i'd give it a miss, wouldn't touch it wit ha barge pole, treat it like its got swine flu, pretend its reallu really ugly.... just avoid it :P
HannahB Posted - 17/09/2009 : 06:57:07
yeah thats about right kellog
i leave my snakes for a few mins so that the pinkie has gone down to their chunkiest part and then i either gently scoop em out and put them back or in liberty's case i attempt to catch her and put her back before she can make a slither for it across the table lol
Kellog Posted - 16/09/2009 : 23:28:12
quote:
Originally posted by x.shell.x

quote:
Originally posted by tiggeroo

If you feel you have a problem taking your snake out to feed, put the snakes food in a empty water dish as not to ingest any substrate as another idea.

Thanx i'll do that. Im persevering with the handling to get him used to it but for the moment he still seems pretty stressed about it. Just thought maybe stressing him before feeing is not the best way to go.

Glad i asked first instead of just going ahead with it. Just dont want to clutter up the boards with silly questions.

Im bringing him out every other day for 5-10 mins to try geting him used to being handled is this too much ?

You do just need to keep persevering with Khan. He will settle eventually, but it will take time and patience. Maybe do it every day for 5-10 mins. Make sure you are calm and no sudden movements. If you want to feed him outside his tub then maybe move him into a RUB with kitchen roll on the base a little while before you feed him, so he has time to settle in it before offering him the food. Then just try and slide him back into tub or pick him up using the kitchen roll and use that to lift him back in - but leave it 10 - 15 minutes after he has fed. Does this sound right to you, 'Those who know'? xxx
eeji Posted - 16/09/2009 : 23:03:15
someone somewhere (i think it was on the dark side) did an experiment with it - they moistened normal sand, and then calci sand and the calci stuff stuck together worse than the normal. I've also seen some PM pics on another forum of what it looked like after impacting a geckos gut, not nice :(
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2009 : 22:39:16
true.... nasty stuff!!
eeji Posted - 16/09/2009 : 22:29:58
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

sand is for sand boas.......... and hoggies..........

...but still not calcisand :(
gingerpony Posted - 16/09/2009 : 22:02:53
sand is for sand boas.......... and hoggies..........
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 21:41:28
quote:
Originally posted by tiggeroo

If you feel you have a problem taking your snake out to feed, put the snakes food in a empty water dish as not to ingest any substrate as another idea.

Thanx i'll do that. Im persevering with the handling to get him used to it but for the moment he still seems pretty stressed about it. Just thought maybe stressing him before feeing is not the best way to go.

Glad i asked first instead of just going ahead with it. Just dont want to clutter up the boards with silly questions.

Im bringing him out every other day for 5-10 mins to try geting him used to being handled is this too much ?

eeji Posted - 16/09/2009 : 20:42:51
calci sand is a nono for any animal, the only use its for is filling holes in the garden :S
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 20:25:04
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/09/2009 : 19:54:31
yeah, sand is a no for most snakes minus hoggies and perhaps a couple of others???

best substrates- kitchen towel, newspaper, shredded paper, aspen, beech chips.
Chimp276 Posted - 16/09/2009 : 19:30:38
Calci sand is horrible,horrible when u hold ur snake and it will b all over them, horrible to clean out, and mainly just horrible! I wud recommend not using it! just take the snake out to feed, it will get used to being held lol! Bro used it with his geckos and it was carnage lmao, so i wud say stick to aspen!

Hope this helps aha!
matty18714 Posted - 16/09/2009 : 19:02:16
Hannah's right.
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 18:55:35
Yea i thought id check first as it says

The ideal and safe substrate for many snakes, lizards, tortoises and turtles

many not all so thought i should find out before making the mistake.
Thanx
HannahB Posted - 16/09/2009 : 18:45:50
sand isnt very good for corns - it can get caught under their scales and i think that causes impaction (someone correct me if im wrong)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000