The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 A couple of newbie questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 19:18:39
I think I've pretty much exhausted the internet trying to find the answer to these questions (including stickies and search here before you get mad!) without finding a definitive answer - it all seems to be personal opinion.

So, the first question is heating. I.e. the choice of heat mats vs lamps. Some swear on heat mats, other say they can cause burns as a Corn grows larger (thus heavier). Some swear on lamps as naturally Corns get their heat from above, plus it's easier to setup a thermal gradient using a lamp. Downsides include a constant light in the vivarium that can stress the Corn.

I can see the argument on both sides but personally I'm leaning towards the lamp solution, I'd just prefer to hear some explanations from some experienced owners to put my mind at rest.

The second question is regarding vivarium size. I've read conflicting arguments saying a hatchling/juvenile would be stressed in a large vivarium due to anxiety, whereas others say a wild snake has an "infinite" sized viv without troubles and so it doesn't matter - and to make sure put plenty of hides in if you do put a young snake in a large vivarium.

The reason I ask is that I've inherited a 36" x 18" x 18" vivarium and don't want to shell out on a smaller one if I can arrange the larger viv in such a way as to keep the snake happy.

Thanks in advance for any help!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 16/09/2009 : 07:11:45
hey and welcome

like gp and remmy have said.. heatmats are ideal for corns.. yeah naturally they get their heat from the sun but they do burrow for heat aswell so it makes sense to have a heat mat under the substrate for this.. personally i think they are easier to control than lights and i think lights are more for our benefit than theirs..

if you can get some plywood or something and make that viv about a third of its size it would be ideal for a hatchling..
Remmy Posted - 15/09/2009 : 21:25:44
I would also go for the heatmat for corns.

If you are getting a hatchling i would put it in a faun or a small rub at first. I moved Tynan up to his 3ft viv when he was 8 months and settled and he is fine but i wouldn`t move them up any younger.
gingerpony Posted - 15/09/2009 : 20:48:18
IMO heatmats are DEFINITELY best for corns, heavier-bodied snakes such as boas and pythons are better heated from above with a ceramic/IR/rep rad

the size of the viv IS important - too big and you're likely to get feeding and handling issues. what size/age snake are you getting? and is it possible to section off part of the viv?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000