The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding out of the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 10:02:57
This Friday my son is picking up his first snake ( corn ), i understand that feeding them out of the viv is the suggested thing, i also understand that you pop your snake in a tub/rub, firstly what sort of rub/tub do i buy, and secondly how and when do you pop it back in it's vivarium. i understand that you leave them for 48hrs before handling after feeding does this mean that they stay out of the viv for the 48hrs after or does it go back in its viv????and how if i am not supposed to have contact do i get it back in, for the first week we are going to give it some settling in time when i first aquire he/she???, and suggestion would be helpful.

this is our first 'exotic' pet, so we are all rather clueless.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 16/09/2009 : 23:46:35
It would be good to try and get as many facts about your snake as possible as well as notes about looking after it - like a snake diary with weight, shed dates, feed dates and size of feed, health problems.... As much info is better than none! xxx
n/a Posted - 16/09/2009 : 14:17:02
Thanks for all the advice, so many options...i just sooo ezcited about him coming home. I sure all will work out for the best, hopefully the chap who had him before had jotted some info down for me..fingers crossed..
Kellog Posted - 15/09/2009 : 10:14:46
That is what I did nicolam. Kellog was already 4yrs old when we got him so we have just carried on looking after him as his previous owner did - which was to feed him in the viv. Because he went on a 13 week fast when we first go him (he decided to get horny just when we bought him)I have been loathe to change what he has been used to. If I get a new snake (that should be when) I think I will probably feed out of viv as most seem to do, for good reasons. xxx
n/a Posted - 15/09/2009 : 10:04:33
Thanks for all the advice, i will play it by ear as i dont want to start upsetting the snake, it has been with an owner previous to me so i will see how they have fed the snake..thanks guys
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 20:22:24
I usually give mine 5-10 minutes for the food to settle, and then pick them up to put them back.
Mnementh Posted - 14/09/2009 : 16:57:38
Feeding day today .

I take then out one at a time and have them on kitchen paper on the table or on top of the rub lids (turned upside down ) that I take them out of , with kitchen towel on just to give them a bit of grip .
Straight after they have eaten , I either .

a) pick them up and pop them straight into their rub / viv
b) pick them up by holding the edges of the kitchen towel
c) tip the lid into the rub so they gently slide off without any contact

I like to swap those three ways around just to keep the snakes on their toes , they never know how I will do it from week to week .

Muhahaha
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 16:33:47
pop him in a box with the pinkie/mouse ..leave in there till he has fully ate it ..then gently pop him back and leave him 48hrs ..
Taz Devil Posted - 14/09/2009 : 15:20:33
I have always fed Sid inside the viv. I do however have an old water dish that I put the mouse in for her to find. She's only strike fed twice since I have had her, the second time was on thursday. She's usually too timid to come after the mouse while it is moving and preferes to sneak up on it when I have put it into the dish.

I did start by feeding her in a seperate tub but she would be too skittish to get a hold of and place back into the main viv so I fed her on her own mouse dish.
misstwinkle Posted - 14/09/2009 : 13:58:04
id let it go down
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 12:13:38
Thanks for th advice, i can see the connection whith regards to feeding away from the viv, as like in other posts it have said, a hand and fingers coming over to pick the snake up may get mistaken for a mouse, so taking it out of the viv it associates the box with dinner time. Do you have to pop them back straight after feeding or leave them 5 mins so the mouse goes down a little????
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 10:40:21
just a plastic tub will do, with air holes obviously! tesco sell Really Useful Boxes which are perfect!

it is fine to gently pick up your snake after feeding to place it back into the viv, just dont keep it out to play!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000