The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 need to bath edison...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HannahB Posted - 09/09/2009 : 17:24:04
edison shed yesterday and iv only just noticed now that part of it hasnt come off the last inch or so of his tail..i know i need to give him a bath and let him wriggle through two towels to try and ease it off but what temp should i get the water to?? i really dont want to burn him or anything!

thanks
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/09/2009 : 22:06:34
They do kinda float on the surface. I think that about three inches are probably enough to provide a decent swimming area.
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 20:24:24
no deeper than the snakes body for small snakes- I put mine in an inch or two and supervise them carefully. they have never struggled with the depth.
Paul Hume Posted - 14/09/2009 : 14:44:19
So in relation to the snake how deep should it be ? Tiny is only about 30cm long so she's not very big ?
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/09/2009 : 10:41:08
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hume

Hi all, how exactly do you bath a snake ? sorry if this seems a stupid question but do you hold them in the water, can they swim ? I was just wondering how it all works ?

snakes are pretty proficient swimmers
HannahB Posted - 14/09/2009 : 09:31:48
yeah im going to start bathing them on a regular basis.. edison seemed to really enjoy it.. the cutest part though was when i put him inbetween two towels to dry him (he was supposed to wriggle out) and instead he curled up in a little ball!
Kellog Posted - 14/09/2009 : 03:38:26
Had to bath Kellog a number of times when he had mites. Tried 1st in the kitchen sink and he was really hard to handle. Next time we did it in the bath and he seemed to enjoy it (think there is a picture of him in the bath in Kellog's photos) He didnt seem at all stressed. Was lovely seeing him swimming through the water, being able to stretch out. Havent bathed him since cos he is still stressed by the whole 'mites incident', but once he has settled down and his behaviour is back to normal I think I will try and do it on a regular basis - think it is a great way for them to exercise, must be good for their scales gettting a good clean and it is a change from the normal handling for him. xxx
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 21:56:18
I bathe my snake twice a month, Eddie likes it and it gives him a chance to exercise. Just have to watch that he doesn't try to go in the excess water hole (I don't know what else to call it). You should give it a go Paul. I let Eddie 'swim' for like 5-10 minutes. I just make sure the water is room temperature.
HannahB Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:32:18
yeah they can swim paul well as long as the water isnt too deep for them
n/a Posted - 13/09/2009 : 19:29:31
wow three legs
Paul Hume Posted - 12/09/2009 : 11:14:50
Hi all, how exactly do you bath a snake ? sorry if this seems a stupid question but do you hold them in the water, can they swim ? I was just wondering how it all works ?
KITTYCAT Posted - 12/09/2009 : 01:20:36
Try a wee bit of vasoline to soften it herbie had some stuck to his tail for ages but as u will see from my other posts he is a bit of a live wire we tried to bath him , i would have had better luck with my 4 legged cat n even the vets are scared of him. herbies end bit came of several sheds later with know lasting effects. Case your wondering about the 4 legged cat i also have one with 3 legs.
HannahB Posted - 10/09/2009 : 13:35:26
well i gave him a bath and put him inside a towel so he could wriggle through it but he just curled up inside it - wish id gotten a picture of it!! i tried to gently rub it with the towel but nothing came off it so i dont know whether i gave him a bath for no reason and it had already come off or if its still on it but i just cant get it off...
Blackecho Posted - 10/09/2009 : 08:42:57
About the same temp as the warm end of the viv, so 28C in my case.
lucifer Posted - 09/09/2009 : 19:43:29
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

25 ish degrees

Agreed, that's roughly what temperature Lucien's baths are.
SexyBear77 Posted - 09/09/2009 : 19:21:31
25 ish degrees
kizzig Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:28:04
Good Luck!
HannahB Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:25:34
thanks for the help..i know its got to be just lukewarm to our touch but im going to use my thermometer thingy as its waterproof to see what sort of temp it is...

thanks hiper..i thought it would be around that sort of temp
hiper2009 Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:19:42
Make the water around 23 degrees should be fine same as his hide aint it ?
kizzig Posted - 09/09/2009 : 18:12:53
Hi Hannah,

We're quite new to this, but we have found an older post from Kazarella saying that the water should be tepid

quote:
Kazerella
Posted - 17/08/2009 : 21:44:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't put a snake in water for 3-4 hours because the water will go cold in that time. The water should be tepid and take the snake out before it gets too cool. About 20-30 minutes is alright.

We hope this helps! If in doubt we'd probably leave the water to get to room temp, but not too sure if that would make it too cold...

We're sure the more experienced guys will give more of an idea to the temp!

Good Luck! Kizzig

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000