The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Planning to buy my first corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:12:50
Hello to everyone, I have read many posts on this forum and it seems a really friendly and informative place. I am planning on buying a corn snake vey soon and I have a few questions.

The guy in the reptile shop says a 2 foot tank will be big enough for the life of the snake is this true?

When you are handling your snake how long can you keep it out of the viv for?

I have young children would the snake pose any danger to them, when they were handling it?

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 08/09/2009 : 21:29:24
I think corn snakes are great pets for kids (as long as an adult takes full responsibility). My girls are 7 & 4 and love Slinky, they handle her confidently, which is better than most adults! Also snakes are far less likely to nip than hamsters etc.

My charming daughters give a full running commentary of Slinky eating a fuzzy lol, they are fascinated!!
KITTYCAT Posted - 08/09/2009 : 21:12:17
Yeh kellog cheers ma mind wiz a blank but knew it awsnt wright hate it when that happens u just got to send whit yiv got
Kellog Posted - 08/09/2009 : 21:09:03
Do you mean 'strict' KittyCat? xxx
n/a Posted - 08/09/2009 : 21:08:58
Thanks you for the quick reply

I thought 2 foot seemed a bit small, I have handled the snake we are looking to buy, it is 1 year old, there was a fresh shed in the tank that was in one piece, which I was told is a good sign of the snakes health, Im all set to buy the snake the kids have already named it cyril. lol
KITTYCAT Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:56:24
Snakes do not pose any danger to children.Though as you will probably already know as with many reptiles snakes can carry salmonella a stricked hand washing b4 n after handling the snake is important not just for the kids sake but also the snake they live in a virtually sterile enviroment till we handle them with our mucky paws. Snake may need a slightly bigger tank as it reaches maturity look on the bright side you will b hooked by then and have bought another one n the circle goes on n on
(stricked just doesnt sound wright have i spelt it wrong?Hate it when that happens arh well you know what i mean)
Kellog Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:46:44
Hi maxine. It depends on what age corn you are going to buy as to what size tank you will need. As it is your first corn and you have kids I would suggest that you get an adult corn rather than a hatchling or youngster - one that is a proven feeder and shedder, preferably with documentation to back that up. When you get it you will need to leave it alone in the viv for a week, only putting your hand in to change the water and straighten the substrate. This gives the snake a chance to get over the stress of the move and get used to your smell.
When you start handling the snake you need to start with very short periods, literally 5 minutes. My snake is an adult and I only handle him for a maximum of 30/45 min, although it takes a lot of self-control on my part to put him back in his viv, especially when he doesnt want to go!
With hatchlings there is the chance of a nip - I think, as I have no experience of them, but adult snakes dont normally bite.....I certainly havent heard of any occasions where one has bitten its handler, but that is not saying that they wont if they feel scared or under attack. My kids handle Kellog regularly and love having him wrapped around them. You and your kids must make sure that hands are washed before and after handling, especially after - mainly cos the snake is slithering around its viv through its substrate in which it defecates and does its version of urine.
Hope this is of some use...I am sure the more experienced owners on here will be able to answer your questions more clearly and competently. xxx
Brookestar Posted - 08/09/2009 : 20:32:03
Hello to everyone, I have read many posts on this forum and it seems a really friendly and informative place. I am planning on buying a corn snake vey soon and I have a few questions.

The guy in the reptile shop says a 2 foot tank will be big enough for the life of the snake is this true?
nope. when its a hatchling it will only need a small faun and as an adult it would probable need a 3ft tank.
When you are handling your snake how long can you keep it out of the viv for?
that depends on how warm it is. many say 15 mins is the norm.
I have young children would the snake pose any danger to them, when they were handling it?
no ... within reason. corns will never attack unless really provoked. if your children mess about with it would cower but if maintained MAY bite but its is very very very unusual and shouldnt stop you buyin it because i doubt it would happen

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000