The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Will this be OK for a setup?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sammysnake Posted - 06/09/2009 : 18:10:37
Hi guys. I've managed to get hold of (very cheap) a small aquarium with a tight fitting plastic lid (14.5" x 8" - 37cm x 20cm) and wanted to see if this would be OK for a hatchling?

I was thinking of drilling small holes in the lid for air and using an 8x8" heatmat underneath attached to a thermostat. I already have an Exo Terra hide, a coconut hide and a piece of cork which I had in a batch of stuff we got for our lizard and didn't use. I also plan to get a small fake plant and of course a small water dish for the cool end. What do you think - will this be OK for a while?

Hopefully you will find a couple of pics below (fingers crossed)...

moved to general
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sammysnake Posted - 04/03/2010 : 19:49:57
Wow, this topic is a blast from the past. It's amazing to me how much I've learned since posting this and how I already have two snakes! Why did you resurrect the thread Sam?
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 16:40:02
Good
gingerpony Posted - 08/09/2009 : 11:08:18
personally i think it's a all a bit big for a hatchie.......... although scale is difficult to judge on the pic. you might be better off keeping it in a much smaller enclosure initially, even inside your current set up, then moving it into the glass viv when it's grown-on a bit. and like everyone else has said - cover 3 sides of the viv and make sure it can be securely fastened.

too much space can cause issues with handling and refusing to feed.........
Kellog Posted - 08/09/2009 : 04:30:19
Dont be too scared by the snake escape stories. It does happen but as long as you can be 100% sure that there are no holes that the snake can get its head through then you should be ok (so watch your ventilation hole sizes!). Maybe you should plant a realistic toy snake in your OH's PC, just to see his reaction!

Agree with what everyone has said about your set-up. You are doing really well and its reassuring knowing you want whats best for your snake and are getting as much info now as possible. This is definately the best place for that advice and for support.....you certainly need the reassurance when you are a newbie snake owner, I know cos I am one! xxx
Sammysnake Posted - 07/09/2009 : 12:55:46
quote:
Can't see any ventalation on the pic, or am i just being thick?

No, you're not thick! I'm intending to drill some small holes in the lid for ventilation.
quote:
2 phones books, a ballast for a UV light, and a small box with loads of junk mail inside was still lifted by 2 of my snakes when trying to get out.
older/adult snakes can be incredibly strong when they want to be.

Aaagghhh! Please stop telling me snake escape stories - I'm getting terrified now! Perhaps someone should invent a tiny GPS tracking chip we can implant into a snake so they can be found up the curtain pole or inside the PC (that photo freaked my husband who loves his PC more than life itself!!)

Thanks for all the fab feedback guys - it's really reasurring.
PunkAsF82 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 11:22:43
looks liek a very nice setup, just make sure you do everything that;'s advised and you'll have a very happy snakie
Tizzy Posted - 07/09/2009 : 11:00:31
Can't see any ventalation on the pic, or am i just being thick?
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 08:45:33
looks good, cover the sides and your away! my next one will deffo be a hatchling- cuter and more personal!
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/09/2009 : 08:32:20
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

thats alright then jsut wanted to check

yeah just put a book or something on it..if its a tight fit then it shouldnt really be a problem when they are hatchlings but you can never be too safe!.....

I tried different things on top of a snake tank when I had Trio escape.

2 phones books, a ballast for a UV light, and a small box with loads of junk mail inside was still lifted by 2 of my snakes when trying to get out.
older/adult snakes can be incredibly strong when they want to be.
lucifer Posted - 06/09/2009 : 23:17:39
quote:
Originally posted by Jen88

Looks good!
Very similar to the first tank I had for Acorn.
I'd say maybe find some smaller hides to start with if your getting a hatchling, toilet roll tubes cut in half, dairylea cheese circluar boxes or even just piles of shredded paper work nicely. Acorns prefers hides that have small entrance holes and that she can curl up inside and feel the sides of it against her.

Don't forget to post some pics him/her when you get it!

If the hides are little on the big side you can also put a piece of scrunched up kitchen roll inside and maybe some aspen makes it a little tighter so the snake feels more secure.
n/a Posted - 06/09/2009 : 23:12:51
Looks good!
Very similar to the first tank I had for Acorn.
I'd say maybe find some smaller hides to start with if your getting a hatchling, toilet roll tubes cut in half, dairylea cheese circluar boxes or even just piles of shredded paper work nicely. Acorns prefers hides that have small entrance holes and that she can curl up inside and feel the sides of it against her.

Don't forget to post some pics him/her when you get it!
Sammysnake Posted - 06/09/2009 : 21:07:49
quote:
do you have any idea as to what morph you want?

Not sure - I'll just see which one I fall in love with I guess. I had a quick look in my local rep shop on Friday but at the time I hadn't decided if I wanted a baby or a grown on so I wasn't really looking properly. Also, I couldn't handle any of them as they had just been fed.

The alternative is an ad on Pre-Loved by a guy who is selling 25 hatchlings in Banbury, various morphs and much cheaper than the shop, but because I'm not a member there I have to wait until the advert is 10 days old before I can respond to it. He may not have any left by then. Part of me thinks I'd like to pay more and get it from the shop I trust though - at least I know their babies are feeding well....
Brookestar Posted - 06/09/2009 : 20:29:00
as above. wrap paper round 3 sides so it aint as open. and get some paper towel as a substrate and your sorted
lee2308 Posted - 06/09/2009 : 20:25:30
ideal size,just cover 3 sides of it to make it feel more secure.
HannahB Posted - 06/09/2009 : 19:55:47
thats alright then jsut wanted to check

yeah just put a book or something on it..if its a tight fit then it shouldnt really be a problem when they are hatchlings but you can never be too safe!
do you have any idea as to what morph you want? if not have a look here http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php
Sammysnake Posted - 06/09/2009 : 19:49:48
Thanks guys - no worries about the substrate - I just wanted you to see the size of the setup to see if it was suitable. I wouldn't put my poor snakey straight on bare glass

Now I've got the OK on the tank I'll buy in the other bits and go mad with the reptile disinfectant! I'm really excited now

quote:
Make sure the lid is very tight, corns are escape artists! Possibly weigh down or tape on the outside

Think I'll stick something heavy on top - after reading recent threads I'm a bit paranoid about the whole losing a hatchling thing. Hmmm, maybe several heavy things on top is the way to go and I'd best start reading up on how to make a bottle trap just in case...
HannahB Posted - 06/09/2009 : 19:07:25
looks good but you will need a substrate on the bottom.. kitchen towel is good for hatchlings with a bit of aspen on so they can burrow
also just make sure that the heat mat covers no more than half the tank
but apart from that looks ok to me
lucifer Posted - 06/09/2009 : 18:25:44
For now you could also place kitchen roll on the floor of the tank to make it easier to spot clean.
Make sure the lid is very tight, corns are escape artists! Possibly weigh down or tape on the outside (obviously no tape near the snake inside)?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000