The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding Question?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 03/09/2009 : 14:11:09
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all those who replied to my other thread, and I think Ill stick to one, or sell my body and get two ;0)

I have read in a few places about owners having seperate places to feed their snakes ? could somone tell me why they put their snakes in a seperate viv to feed them ?

Many Thanks

Paul
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 05/09/2009 : 14:21:08
urm i think that would only happen if you had been handling their food or something and hadnt washed your hands.. having said that someone on here (forget the name so i apolagise) had a few hatchlings take a nibble on his knuckles!
KITTYCAT Posted - 05/09/2009 : 13:18:00
As for fingers smelling like food i really dont know. i only go from previous advice and the experience of my snakes my male thinks everything that enters his tank could be for him an he aint shy.my partners been bit but i havent n i intend on staying that way.supose its upto to the individual!
Kellog Posted - 05/09/2009 : 03:56:45
Has anyone ever had their fingers mistaken as food by their snake? Surely this would only happen if your fingers smelled of the prey item. I would have thought that they can tell the difference between our smell and food smell - but am I being naive about it? xxx
KITTYCAT Posted - 05/09/2009 : 00:07:59
Both my snakes get fed in a seperate tub outside the viv ive done this since they were hatchlings. One snake is no bother nice n gentle doesnt strike. the other jumps right out the box and coils in mid air he,s a vicious eater im glad i do it this way cause i wouldnt want my fingers to b mistaken as food in the viv
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 08:53:19
I feed Slinky in a seperate tub outside the viv, it saves me worrying about her eating anything that could harm her. I can also see her better as I use a clear tub and she can't hide lol
Kellog Posted - 04/09/2009 : 03:00:24
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

...I always make sure mouse is dry...

this in itself is not always enough, as snakes produce lots of saliva when they're eating to help get the food item down

I am aware of that but as this is how Kellog has been fed all his life (and we have already had feeding problems when we first had him) I am loathe to change what he is used to. If I was to get a new corn *says she hopefully* I would probably feed outside the viv because of the substrate issue. xxx
gingerpony Posted - 03/09/2009 : 22:08:13
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

...I always make sure mouse is dry...

this in itself is not always enough, as snakes produce lots of saliva when they're eating to help get the food item down
Kellog Posted - 03/09/2009 : 21:20:29
I always feed Kellog in his viv and have never had a problem with him associating my hand with food - I think he only associates food with mouse smell as my hand is in his viv everyday changing water, straightening substrate etc. I know there is a risk of him swallowing some substrate but I always make sure mouse is dry. If your snake is a youngster then I would probably feed outside viv or at least put food on plate or tile within viv, if its an adult continue feeding it as it has already been fed. xxx
gingerpony Posted - 03/09/2009 : 21:11:38
the main reasons for feeding out of the viv is so they don't ingest substrate, so they're less likely to confuse your hand in their viv with a tasty snack and so you can monitor their response and eating habits.

reasons for feeding in the viv are that it's a familiar environment (good if your snake is stressy) and time saving. i also feed my big Dum in her viv cos with nearly 3kgs of hungry boa there's no way i'm sticking my hand in with her once she's got a whiff of a rat defrosting!!
HannahB Posted - 03/09/2009 : 20:19:10
i feed mine on top of the viv and he then slithers back into the viv when hes done but he will happily feed anywhere tbh - as long as theres food he isnt too bothered haha
i think theres pros and cons which have been outlined by lee... if you arent sure where to feed try in a little plastic tub and cover up with a towel and leave for about an hour.. or you could put the tub in his housing so instead of associating your hand with feeding he associates it with the tub...
lee2308 Posted - 03/09/2009 : 15:03:12
think your better off having one as you wont get much for your body lol,some feed outside the viv in a box ect for a few reasons,1,no risk of the snake swollowing substrate ans 2,they snake might associaye you going in the viv with feeding time and think your feeding it when your only going in to handle/clean ect

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000