The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating question's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 02/09/2009 : 12:54:13
quote:
Since a heat mat should provide sufficient heat to keep your corn snake happy, a basic mat stat, like the Microclimate Ministat 100 or the Habistat Mat Stat, should be appropriate.

A popular alternative to the heat mat is a normal light bulb on the roof of the vivarium, attached to a dimming stat. It is important to ensure that the heat source is protected from direct contact with you snake by using a guard. The disadvantages of using a bulb as a heat source is that the bulb needs to be turned on constantly to keep the vivarium at the correct temperature. Your corn snake does not require light 24 hours a day and can suffer from stress if the light exposure is too long. It is recommended to keep your corn snake in a natural light pattern that mimics normal daytime, so a heat mat is a better choice between the two heat sources. If you do decide to use a heat mat, then a energy-saving bulb with guard can be added to the vivarium for decorative purposes to help you see your snake

I know there has been ups and downs to having a heat mat, and i was on the understanding and been advised by a reptile shop not to use heat mats and rocks as they can burn your snake. At the moment i am using a bulb on a thermostat. I have a heat mat that i would like to use with a stat can i use this in conjunction with my lamp.It states there also that i could use an energy saving light bulb if im using a heat mat, is this just your everyday light bulb. Any advice would be much apprreciated.

Another thing that i would like to put forward to you guys is do you have any recomendations on what is the best sort of bulb to buy. My viv size is L35, D15, W15 measurements in inches.

Thanks and kind regards Chris & Cornflake
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 01:03:50
yes im 1000% she cant get through th holes matty. The mat is on a stat i wouldnt use a mat without one :-)
matty18714 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 00:30:00
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

Heatmats use infrared heat so they can be used on the sides of the viv as well as the floor.
If you get a digital probe and ensure that the mat does not exceed 30 Degrees C then it should be safe for the snake.

Theres no point putting a mat on the side of a viv, the snake wont be able to use much of of the heat. Remember they dont heat the air, only the surfaces they touch.

Chris, a heat mat without a stat can reach very high temperatures, easily enough to burn a snake. Run it with a mat stat. With the heating, its easier to use one or the other, theres not much point using both.

As your snake is young, are you sure it cant get through the holes in the guard?
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 00:24:22
Well i might try using both, they will be on a thermostat. I will let you know how i get on tomorrow
n/a Posted - 03/09/2009 : 22:51:44
Its your own choice to be honest, i know people who have kept corns on bulbs for over 10yrs with no problems.. its a personal choice.. its not a right or wrong, any form of heat is good wether it be a Heatmat or a Bulb
n/a Posted - 03/09/2009 : 02:48:38
Thank you Stumpy. Could i use a heat mat in conjunction with my lamp, or is this not advisable

Thank you for your reply's everyone
Stumpy Posted - 02/09/2009 : 17:01:04
Heatmats use infrared heat so they can be used on the sides of the viv as well as the floor.
If you get a digital probe and ensure that the mat does not exceed 30 Degrees C then it should be safe for the snake.
n/a Posted - 02/09/2009 : 14:40:27
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I would ditch bulb heating, especialy because your snake is so small. Use the heat mat covering half of the floor space with a mat stat.

Have you got a guard for the bulb your using? Is the bulb your using red or white light?

Yes i have a guard for the bulb.
I was using a red bulb it blew so now using my spare yellow one.

quote:
The shop owner was right about mats burning but thats only if you dont use a stat,which you are.I would say 99% of members use mats over bulbs

I only have the stat for my bulb
can i plug my heat mat into that stat (the thermostat is a habistat 600w)
Could you use the heat mat and the bulb or should i just use one form of heating. Also what heat shoud a stat be set at for a heat mat?

Thanks for the replies
matty18714 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 14:03:22
I would ditch bulb heating, especialy because your snake is so small. Use the heat mat covering half of the floor space with a mat stat.

Have you got a guard for the bulb your using? Is the bulb your using red or white light?
lee2308 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 13:54:24
i would do away with the bulb as corn dont need additional lighting, but if you want to use one use a proper infrared one(100-150w),The shop owner was right about mats burning but thats only if you dont use a stat,which you are.I would say 99% of members use mats over bulbs,Also heat rocks are not suitable for snakes.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000