The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 To weigh or not to weigh, this is the question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 18:56:14
Background:

* Snake is ~9.5 weeks old.
* Came here 12 days ago on 19 Aug.
* Refused food on the day he joined us, refused again a week later, and three days after that.
* Last ate (approx date) 15 Aug.

Because he hasn't eaten for over 2 weeks and I have no idea when he'll decide to accept food, I am wondering if we should start weighing him? That would mean handling him, but we're still in the hands-off phase because he hasn't eaten.

What's best, then? Leave him be or weigh him now and start following his weight?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 21:35:43
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Next time you try to feed him, if he refuses weigh him, that way it will be another 5 days to settle again before you try feeding again.

Cool, I like this idea, this way all interruption and interference are kept to a minimum.

Thanks Blackecho.
lee2308 Posted - 31/08/2009 : 21:02:43
alot of us keep weight record regardless of if their eating or not.
Blackecho Posted - 31/08/2009 : 20:51:32
Next time you try to feed him, if he refuses weigh him, that way it will be another 5 days to settle again before you try feeding again.
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 19:49:45
Have you tried taking him out of the Viv to feed him? Or maybe its the way the food is thawed... have you tried warming it by air and slightly squishing the pinkies head? Also, what kind of viv do you have him in? Maybe it's too big and he's stressed.

I've had Eddie my corn for a 1 1/2 years and I still stress if he misses a feed.
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 19:10:23
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

if you do decide to weigh him, do it quickly and with minimal fuss. its not like you'll be keeping him out to play afterwards

No, no play, it's just that I don't want to do anything that would have any adverse effect on the feeding chances next attempt, and on the other hand I gather starting following on his weight might be needed. With all the vast experience of 12 days of snake-parenting I feel it's best to ask the elders of the tribe so... what say you??
SexyBear77 Posted - 31/08/2009 : 18:59:28
Even if you weigh him now, you wont know if hes lost any weight etc if its not been done before. However, like you said, it does mean that you can start monitoring his weight from now on.

Its your decision, but if you do decide to weigh him, do it quickly and with minimal fuss. its not like you'll be keeping him out to play afterwards

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000