The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Had an escape, need help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 02:48:34
Hey all, pretty new to the world of snake keeping. Picked up a corn about 5 days ago. I've been reading this site a lot (huge help, might I add) among others to try and figure things out.

Anyways, I've been waiting a week for him to adjust to his new home. Unfortunately, I made a newbie mistake. The top of the tank has little holes for wires. After putting putting the thermometer in, I forgot to close the covers for these holes. I was getting a little worried because I hadn't seen him in a few days, and he hadn't been drinking anything, so I decided to look for him. He wasn't in the viv. Now I'm freaking out trying to find him. Being a single guy, living with another single guy, the house looks like a bomb has gone off. There are millions of nooks and crannies he could be hiding in.

What should I do? I've been tearing the place apart trying to find him, with no luck so far. Any places that snakes tend to gravitate towards that I should check? Any tricks for luring them out? Help!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 03/09/2009 : 03:10:38
Any news yet Someone? Did you go home or are you still at your parent's place? xxx
n/a Posted - 02/09/2009 : 17:17:06
hey, this may sound a little stupid and most probably isn't the case now as its been a few days, but it happened to me the first day i got my baby corn. I thought he escaped and spent near enough 3 hours looking for him round my room as he wasn't in his viv after i took out all the plant, rock, water bowl and half the sawdust but he was nowhere to be seen. My friend found him burried rediculosly in the sawdust i didn't remove from the viv..

Another story i heard from a friend, her corn got into the sofa and had to cut the back to get it out. worth a try, and good luck
devilsmistress Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:32:38
And what an experiance it was!!!!! Least he is staring to trust me now!
Kellog Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:27:48
Definitely agree with paula, she speaks from experience! Yes, it may attach to your snake so you will know he has been there but the tape sticking to his scales can cause damage and distress. Sorry, I know you want to do everything to find him and wish I could suggest something to help rather than stop you trying something. xxx
devilsmistress Posted - 01/09/2009 : 16:51:56
you can never put enough traps down, Put them along skiting boards. As for the tape, its not a good idea, they can get stuck to it and cause themselfs an injury
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 16:04:55
Nothing yet. Haven't been able to put much flour down as the entire place is carpet aside from the kitchen. Looking around online, somebody mentioned putting some tape on the floor. I decided to give this a try as an alternative to flour. At the very least he should end up pulling it along the floor when he passes over it. How good are corns at finding food/water? I left his water dish and a single trap in the kitchen, but he hasn't touched either yet. I certainly want to catch him, but my first concern right now is that he stays alive. Should I maybe put some more baited traps and water bowls around the house, or should he be able to find these ones easy enough when he needs them?
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 13:45:58
As long as your Tank is ''Escape Proof'' your fine, they will find ways to escape its what they do, but as long as you have everything right and correct, no problem
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 13:19:46
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

Don't worry Sammysnake. Not all snakes escape, although they will try. I've had Rizla fot over two years now without an escape (Touch wood)

your'e stuffed now
Flatpack63 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 12:10:33
Don't worry Sammysnake. Not all snakes escape, although they will try. I've had Rizla fot over two years now without an escape (Touch wood)
Sammysnake Posted - 01/09/2009 : 11:33:08
Hi, I haven't got a snake yet - I'm taking my time reading the forum and getting the setup first. I must say, this thread has made me really nervous. I knew cornsnakes COULD escape but didn't realise they did it this much. Does everyone's snake escape and do they do it often? I presumed as long as I had a lock on the viv door and there were no holes around the wires etc all would be well. Am I being really naive?
Kellog Posted - 01/09/2009 : 11:02:27
This gives you a reason to tidy up and hopefully snake will be found in process. Any signs in flour of snake slithering? Have you got water down and maybe tank on floor near water might tempt it out? xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/09/2009 : 07:48:25
please also look up high- when my corn escaped he was found 6 feet up in a shoebox. they dont always stay low.

any luck yet?
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 20:09:03
Seriously bad luck... I would look under your sofa's especially if there is a gap so that you could get inside it. Try under your stove or near your boiler. Poor little guy, a nightmare to spot I can imagine... wouldn't be so bad if they didnt move around so quickly!
meggi Posted - 31/08/2009 : 18:27:34
gud luk check EVERYWHERE , remember they like , warm , dark , inclosed spaces , check in your washing bascket , thats always a good place to find them. Put plenty of traps down , and put some water down , so even if perhaps it don`t help you find him , it will keep him hidrayted if he is around. gud lukxx

http://yfrog.com/4q10016972j
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 15:01:38
Other warm places: Sometimes, where a plug goes into an extention cord. Pile of such cables could offer a nice warm hide. Also inside, behind and under any and all electircal equipment, including lamp bases. When you check inside your closet, check inside pockets.

Good luck, please let us know once you find him!
HannahB Posted - 31/08/2009 : 14:08:26
hope you find him soon!
look inside any towels - thats where luke found lucien when he got out
lee2308 Posted - 31/08/2009 : 13:34:51
this could be a good excuse to tidy up lol,seriosly though if the floor is clear and your sat there on a evening you might just see him come out.I would change the pinky after 24hours
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 09:57:39
You can also put flour down around the edge of the room to see where he/she has been. good luck
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 09:32:52
Will do. I suppose I should ask- How long is it safe to leave the same pinky in the trap for before it starts to go bad?
Remmy Posted - 31/08/2009 : 08:28:00
Good luck with the search, let us know how you get on

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000