The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 corns together

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/08/2009 : 23:39:24
hi i have two boy corns living in a split viv just been watching them for the last half hout went to make a cuppa and come back guess what both cuddled up in the same side what should i do ???/?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Williamson Posted - 08/09/2009 : 09:30:02
Oops, didn't realise 3rd and 4th page existed....... Doh!
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/09/2009 : 08:44:57
well done guys, deffo the right way to go.

we must have pics of your new snow motley too!
Kellog Posted - 08/09/2009 : 04:06:53
quote:
Originally posted by andy n amz

i was aware of what could of happened and have sealed the viv up apart from doors so therir is no chance of the sharing one side again and for good reason to im swapping my snow male for a snow motley girl all good in the end

I am glad that you have sealed up viv. I have no experience of co-habiting except what I have already read on this forum. But from what I have read I would say that with hatchlings there is a definite risk that is not taking, and with older snakes you need to be experienced enough to know what you are doing, like GP. But obviously this is only my opinion, not fact, and I accept that I have lots still to learn. xxx
n/a Posted - 07/09/2009 : 22:30:17
none off them are cohabiting just the hatchling from time to time wouldnt put them in with my big boy think he would eat them straight away he is in his own rub and very soon viv when finished the babies share a old fish take that got heat mat on half the tank so they both have hot and cold end obb controlled by stats
matty18714 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 22:25:28
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I think you will find GP co-habits corns, but she feels, (like most of us do), that it is for experienced keepers only and you need to be very aware of whats going on.

very true matty, i have a 1.1 pair, a 2.0 pair and a 0.2 permanently cohabiting BUT this is done with:
*FULL knowledge of all the pros and cons
*CAREFULLY matched PROVEN sexes
*CAREFULLY matched age AND size
*ALL snakes are of a suitable age where cannibalism and unwanted matings are NOT likely to happen
*snakes are VERY carefully monitored
*snakes are fed seperately
*i have FULL provision for splitting them up if neccessary

with all the above in mind i would definitely NOT recommend co-habiting to an inexperienced keeper.

I think this is a very important point. If you intened to keep 3 snakes together, you would also need 2 other vivs, 3 mats and up to 3 stats even though they are in the same viv.

I dont understand why a person new to the hobby would even bother.
gingerpony Posted - 07/09/2009 : 22:21:54
quote:

I think you will find GP co-habits corns, but she feels, (like most of us do), that it is for experienced keepers only and you need to be very aware of whats going on.

very true matty, i have a 1.1 pair, a 2.0 pair and a 0.2 permanently cohabiting BUT this is done with:
*FULL knowledge of all the pros and cons
*CAREFULLY matched PROVEN sexes
*CAREFULLY matched age AND size
*ALL snakes are of a suitable age where cannibalism and unwanted matings are NOT likely to happen
*snakes are VERY carefully monitored
*snakes are fed seperately
*i have FULL provision for splitting them up if neccessary

with all the above in mind i would definitely NOT recommend co-habiting to an inexperienced keeper.
n/a Posted - 07/09/2009 : 22:19:25
i was aware of what could of happened and have sealed the viv up apart from doors so therir is no chance of the sharing one side again and for good reason to im swapping my snow male for a snow motley girl all good in the end
Brookestar Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:46:11
fair enough but what i was trying to get accross is we arent having a go at people. we just have strong opinions and we are trying to make sure that people ACTUALLY understand the pro's and con's not just think they do
matty18714 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:44:00
Brookestar Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:41:48
forgot to mention the prove is in the mods here.

Matty and GP are strongly against co-inhabiting
Tizzy co-inhabites same sex snake [i believe]

but yet again. if new to snakes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE except although it may look good that it aint in the best interests of your snakes
Brookestar Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:40:06
well i think snakes shoudl be kept together!

all i want to say isi think that ALL snake owners should read about the pro's and con's of co-inhabiting then make a decision themselves. what annoys me [not sayin anyone does it here] is people telling you NEVER keep corns together. because that is a disision that is meant for the owner. however strong words of encouragement are reccomended because i dont know how many times people have said they read about it then said something totally untrue!

from experience from "working" at my rep shop talking to new customers i always advise to keep corns seperate and when you become more knowledgable then co-inhabite if you believe nessasery.
gingerpony Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:25:24
quote:

The temps could be exactly the same, its just one of hundreds of factors that affect where your snakes will choose to rest.

and these factors could include direct sunlight, or direct light from a bulb - particularly as the set-ups are a mirror image rather than identical.......
a draft from one side causing a lower ambient temperature........
the fact that the glass viv feels so exposed with no covering on the back and sides.......
gingerpony Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

There is a risk but generally its fine, ive seen Corns lots of times housing together with no problems

no disrespect meant but exactly how experinced a keeper are you sparrowhawk???

cos this is exactly what i have a problem with......... people who know very little telling people 'how it is'........
matty18714 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:11:12
quote:

i have cheacked the temps are the same both warm and both the same cooler end as should be arording to a sticky i read on her carnt see any other factors which could make them chose 1 side

The temps could be exactly the same, its just one of hundreds of factors that affect where your snakes will choose to rest.
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:04:04
yes, but what exactly are the temps?
n/a Posted - 07/09/2009 : 21:02:11
i have cheacked the temps are the same both warm and both the same cooler end as should be arording to a sticky i read on her carnt see any other factors which could make them chose 1 side
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:50:33
quote:

see both set ups are the same so why are they always together

what are the temps in both sides? if the heat mat is directly in the middle of the tank then there isnt really alot of space for a proper heat gradient. what do you use to monitor temps?

perhaps by swapping to the other side of the viv they are attempting to thermoregulate more efficiently.

It is still not because they like each other.
matty18714 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:48:50
There are a huge number of factors that could explain it, both setups wont be the same.

This isnt a dig at the OP, I just really cant understand why people give emotions to snakes.
n/a Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:45:36
see both set ups are the same so why are they always together
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/09/2009 : 20:42:10
well that narrows it down...

we really do need to see pictures and have detailed descriptions if you want our help.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000