The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Still not feeding,

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/08/2009 : 01:49:53
8pm, affered a warm and nicely brained pinkie. No interest. Left pinkie on a small plastic plate on top of warm hide, and left. Not long after, the Real Hawk mentioned perhaps my choice of location was not best so he went to move it to the cold side.

Sometime later I went over to take a look and had a real moment of panic (as opposed to the light banter from previous days) when I found the window at the top of the viv open. Shen was out of sight and I was certain he'd bolted. Turned the light on to take a proper look and found him (blast that camouflage colouring he has!) inside the viv. The Real Hawk swore he'd shut that window so we're not sure what happened, but anyway, my hand was already in there so I picked pinkie up for a little dance. Shen didn't run away from it but didn't show any interest either, so I dropped pinkie back in the plate and left.

Pinke is still in there, and the question now is can I leave him in there until 8pm, the full 24 hours, or do pinkies go off quicker than larger sizes?

The other thing is that I'm going away 10-22 Sept and although Real Hawk can take care of things by himself, both of us really want to see Shen feed prior to that. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what else would prevent a 9 week old from eating for 2 weeks. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps he's preparing to shed. Any other ideas?

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mnementh Posted - 02/09/2009 : 12:09:42
Heya , my male Blizzard went off his food for the last 3 weeks . I was told all sorts of advice and finally one worked within 30 mins . I brained his mouse , which he showed some interest but not enough to take it , so I put him in a very small rub so he could'nt hide , he is 2 yo and about 3 and a half feet long , I had him curled up at one end of a 5 litre rub , mouse the other end . I put the lid on and put the whole thing back in his viv . I passed around 30 mins or so later and was pleasantly suprised to see him sitting there with a nice big bulge in his stomach :)

So , if you have not tried , put him in a really small container , with the pinky "brained" and leave overnight .

Hope he eats soon .
Kellog Posted - 01/09/2009 : 20:27:47
Dont despair Hawkeye...just give Shen time and hopefully one day he will suddenly surprise you. xxx
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 20:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Has he eaten yet Hawkeye? Anyluck?

Nope, still no interest. Last try was 29 Aug so am planning to try again 3 Sept. Starting to think I may have discovered a new strain of corns: the kind that never eats.
Kellog Posted - 01/09/2009 : 20:11:57
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Same question as Sparrowhawk??? Any news Hawkeye? xxx
n/a Posted - 01/09/2009 : 19:53:04
n/a Posted - 31/08/2009 : 17:53:05
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

does it look like his colours have dulled or got a rainbow irridecsent like sheen to them? I don't think so but not entirely sure.

do you remember seeing his eyes darkening or turning blue? Hawk says eyes are a deeper red.

To know for sure we'll have to take a closer look, and we're trying to avoid that until he feeds.

Btw, last night he really made me laugh when I saw him kind of "nosing" one of the probes.
HannahB Posted - 31/08/2009 : 16:47:23
does it look like his colours have dulled or got a rainbow irridecsent like sheen to them? if he has then he might be in shed and that could explain why hes not feeding.. do you remember seeing his eyes darkening or turning blue? having said that if his eyes are pink then this isnt always obvious...
hope someone else can help you a bit more and get him feeding again..

oooh just thought it might be an idea to talk to a rep shop adn see if they can help get him feeding again soon
Kellog Posted - 30/08/2009 : 11:23:37
Not sure how wise it is to let him see or smell the live mice/gerbils - just next time you feed rub pinkie over their fur to get their scent on it, might make him more excited and put him into hunting mode.
Cant help with how long to leave pinkie in, as have only dealt with larger mice. Have defrosted overnight, tried to feed and failed, then left it in over next night and taken it out 1st thing following morning - if that makes sense.
He does need to be left alone for a while before trying to feed him again. xxx
Stumpy Posted - 30/08/2009 : 10:27:26
He maybe in shed, leave it for couple of days.
Does anyone near you have live mice as pets, if so try borrowing them and allow him to scent them. it may get his natural instincts to cut in.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000