The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Little help, new to the whole corn snake thing!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 01:01:04
Hey guys just got my first cornsnake! His names Steve and hes pushing 5ft and hes my wee pal :) I got him about a week ago and he has his first mouse no problem and he seems to be happy but i have a little question. All he seems to do his hide away under his rock since he came home. Is he just scared of the new environment he has been put in or is there something wrong? He is fine when i have handled him, he is active and goes pretty much everywhere but when he is inside his tank all he does is hide. Is he ok or am i just being paranoid? Thanks for any feed back i get :)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meggi Posted - 29/08/2009 : 15:09:16
wen he woz hiding he woz probs just nervous bout his surroundings. Wen we gonna get sum pics???? lol

luv megxx

http://yfrog.com/3t10016972j
HannahB Posted - 28/08/2009 : 21:29:23
glad to hear the wee guy has settled in well now
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:21:48
Im gonna take some more later on once his tank has more shiz in it. Kinda barren atm!
SexyBear77 Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:13:02
oops just seen your pictures! silly me!
Kellog Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:11:54
Glad he has settled down and you are getting to handle him. Dont keep him out for too long, just short periods. So tempting to keep handling them but we need self-control!! xxx
SexyBear77 Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:10:32
glad to hear it, when do we get piccies???
n/a Posted - 28/08/2009 : 20:08:19
I left him a week and he is fine now guys. He has been kicking about his wee tank and millin around. Also hes more relaxed when i held him so its all good :) thanks
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/08/2009 : 23:06:07
Have a looky at this care sheet:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

It's undoubtedly the best there is.
That may offer more insight into the snakes behaviour, they can be strange sometimes.
n/a Posted - 24/08/2009 : 13:28:41
hey guys thanks for the advice. I have only held him maybe 2 times more to show my mum and dad wat i actually bought! He didnt come with a care sheet but the pet store gave me loads of advice on how to feed, handle and they pretty much set up my tank for me. He is hiding in his wee rock on the cold side of the tank, he has popping his head out every now and again but then just goes bak in. Im changing his water every day
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 12:49:31
dont worry, as already mentioned snakes need time to settle in, about a week should do it. Ive had Mushu for about 2ish (?) months now, and she stays in her hide ALL DAY, only venturing out when she is sure Ive gone to bed!
Flatpack63 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 09:35:22
Also remember that they are naturally nocturnal, so he's probably moving about a lot at night when you are not there or he could be coming into shed.
Kellog Posted - 24/08/2009 : 03:47:27
Agree with Stumpy. Give him a little time to settle in. Only go into the viv to change water, straighten substrate etc. It may be that with you only just having him and already handling him might be stressing him which is why he stays in hide. By leaving it that extra time for him to get used to your smell without feeling threatened then he may calm down. Assuming you are feeding him weekly and then leaving him for 48hrs after feed before handling. When you do handle him start for very short periods of time, even just 5 minutes a couple of times a day, then slowly build it up. I dont handle mine for more than 30min/45min in one go (although it takes a lot of self-control on my part to put him back, especially when he doesnt want to go back in his viv). Kellog is about 4 and a half years old and I have had him for nearly 5 months, so am really still a newbie.
Having said all this it may just be that Steve likes his hide. Might be worthwhile asking his previous owner. Did you get a care sheet from them - when fed, shed, weight, cleaning viv, health problems etc. Would be good to start one.
Also check the heat in each end of the viv, is his rock hot or cold side? 'Those who know' will give you the correct temps.
Hopefully this has been of some help. xxx
Stumpy Posted - 24/08/2009 : 01:59:03
You should leave him in his viv for a week without interaction o that he gets used to the new surroundings.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000