The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermo question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/08/2009 : 02:05:21
Hadn't realized how essential thermostat and thermometers were, but after reading some posts in the forum I immediately ordered them online just now (thanks for the recommendation for triple-8, gingerpony, found them in one of your posts) but it will take 2-5 working days to arrive. So now I'm a bit concerned.

Snake, on the other hand, seems pleased with what he's got: sometimes he goes to the warm end, sometimes to the cool end. When it gets dark he gets really active and goes exploring, during light hours he seems to be taking rests, sometimes under something in the cool end, sometimes under something in the warm ends.

So the question is: I check heat mat by hand and monitor movement inside the viv, but until the thermostat and thermometers get here, is there any other way I can verify all is ok?

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 22/08/2009 : 07:32:38
I agree with what a lot of the others have said about shops (and some owners) who say that heat mat etc is unnecessary. Unfortunately my OH has taken shops advice and only heat by lamp at moment (before I get bombarded - yes I am working very hard on him, as usual!). Hopefully moving Kellog up to bigger viv in near future (when OH makes it) so hopefully will get full set up for that. xxx
n/a Posted - 21/08/2009 : 23:37:33
Tizzy, thanks for the kind words

My place is kept warm at all times, I really hate cold weather. The other day I had the radiators on for a little while, honest. Apart from us, there are over 100 (one hundred) plants here, so the ratio between heat-lovers and chill-lovers is about 108:2
Tizzy Posted - 21/08/2009 : 22:12:57
Glad it's on it's way. Not your fault rep shops will tell you that they are not needed all the time as alot of them just see livestock as an investment that isn't worth the cost of a stat. Your doing the right thing and snakey wil be fine for a few days - just be greatfull it's not January!
n/a Posted - 21/08/2009 : 18:58:56
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Triple 8 e-mailed eralier today to say they've despatched via Parcel Force so we should have the goods Monday or with a bit of luck, tomorrow.
lee2308 Posted - 21/08/2009 : 18:38:19
like matty said a few shops dont mention them as the price of them would put peole off buying the snake.
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/08/2009 : 18:11:36
Dont beat yourself up about it, yes its a basic mistake, but LOADS of people make it. your snake will be fine, they are more tough than most people think.
matty18714 Posted - 21/08/2009 : 17:48:02
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Ok. Matt out and monituring closely without disturbing. Feelng really bad about it. I mean, we read the care sheet, how could I have missed something like this?!?

Alot of shops never mention it, to them its all about trying to create the cheapest "complete starter set".
n/a Posted - 21/08/2009 : 14:30:32
Ok. Matt out and monituring closely without disturbing. Feelng really bad about it. I mean, we read the care sheet, how could I have missed something like this?!?
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/08/2009 : 14:16:19
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I would just take the heat mat away completely, just dont feed him. As long as the room hes in isnt cold he will be fine.

completely agree, its not worth risking it, even with paper or something on top.
matty18714 Posted - 21/08/2009 : 11:01:35
I would just take the heat mat away completely, just dont feed him. As long as the room hes in isnt cold he will be fine.
KITTYCAT Posted - 21/08/2009 : 09:42:20
if you dont want to take the heat mat away you could maybe put several layers on paper under your substrate where the heat mat is sitting to absorb some of the heat.Though keep an eye on the snake incase it decides to hide under the paper.
Blackecho Posted - 21/08/2009 : 07:07:34
You could take the heatmat away.

How do you monitor the heatmat by hand? - Corns need no more than 30C, human bood temp is around 37C, so if it feels warm, its probably too hot.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000