The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hatchling still?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 16:40:24
So.. called the shop and found out our new baby is in fact about eight weeks old. Is he still a "hatchling" or at this age there is a different word to describe?

By now I've realised that a lot of my questions can be answered by simply reading in the forum. Is there a post that describes the different stages of growth, when full size is reached, etc.?

Many thanks again,

Hawkeye & Snake
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 22/08/2009 : 13:08:47
Hi Kellog, it's cool -- hard to follow on all the replies, but that's my own fault for opening so many topics!

We've managed to get a vid, which is now in the morph forum. We were told it's a snow, but would be more than happy to have your opinion!
Kellog Posted - 22/08/2009 : 07:39:43
Wanted to apologise Hawkeye - read your welcome post and asked a load of questions, which I think are all answered here! Cant wait to see pics so we can have a definite morph decision. xxx
eeji Posted - 21/08/2009 : 18:24:25
you wouldn't have an avalanche without knowing, unless the shop really don't have a clue what they're selling (unlikely), so if they described it as 'albino' and its white with red eyes then its most likely a Snow

heres a few pics: http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/snow.php
n/a Posted - 21/08/2009 : 16:06:40

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

yeah hes still classed as a hatchling and then when hes coming up to a year he'll be a yearling
this is the best place to look at the different morphs and identify yours.. i think you described it as "whitish" so im guessing without having seen it that you have a snow - they are very cute
http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php
there are hundreds of different variations and soon you will have picked out your next one!!

thanks for the link hannah been looking for a page like that for ages lol
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:58:36
thats what i thought but not all rep shops know exactly what they are selling so you can get some good bargains if you strike lucky! im sure that happened to someone on here recently?
Tizzy Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:54:15
Sounds like a snow to me, your wallet would really know about it if it were an avalanch.
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:53:39
he sounds like a snow - there are some pictures of snow hatchlings on here in the pics section - have a browse and see if they look similar to them... was going to suggest maybe he/she is a lavender but they have dark eyes
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:44:44
No orange, but something that can be described as pale pink or very very pale pinkish-brown or something like that.. I forgot to mention his eyes are red.

Thanks for encouraging us to ask here.
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:32:00
meant to ask.. does he have orange markings or pale pinkish ones? if they are orange then hes an amel and if not then hes probs a snow
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:30:56
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:

im not too sure if you can get albino corns

Snow, amel, anery....all are exmples of albinos.

i know they lack different pigments but i didnt think they were classed as ablinos... thanks for putting me right

we dont mind you asking loads of q's.. what you cant learn from a book you can learn from us here - the books can sometimes be a bit wrong and with so many experienced and new owners on here sometimes the info you get is better as its personal experience
matty18714 Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:13:14
I didnt mean to say it was an anery. Its probably a snow or an amel.
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:11:04
Hannah: We bought it from a small shop in London. Is it ok to say here exactly what the name of the shop is and give its address? We paid £75 for the snake.
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:09:09
Ok, thanks. Doesn't look like any of the anery snakes on that page. Counting the days until the first week is out. Then we'll take some pics.

Any idea where I can find out more about development and growth? I'm starting to think perhaps I should ask recommendations for a good book on corn snakes rather than pop up here every hew hours with a new query. (You guys are very patient and welcoming and we're very grateful.)
matty18714 Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:08:43
quote:

im not too sure if you can get albino corns

Snow, amel, anery....all are exmples of albinos.
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 18:04:07
how much did you pay for it? id be wanting to know where you got it from if its an avalanche! have you got any pictures of him you could put up?

im not very good with morphs/definitions but im guessing hes probs referring to it as an albino as it is white... im not too sure if you can get albino corns - certain pigmentations are lacked within different morphs so im sorry i cant help you there..

maybe eeji or someone else can help more there
matty18714 Posted - 20/08/2009 : 17:56:29
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Btw, the shop described it as "albino." What could that mean?

Albino is a suprisingly general term, it means that the animal lacks a certain pigment. It doesnt just mean a white bodied, red eyed animal. Look up an anery corn snake, thats an albino.
matty18714 Posted - 20/08/2009 : 17:54:11
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Also... we're interseted in finding out more about colours:

Does colour change as they grow? Yes, for exmple hatchling carolinas are quite dark but will get lighter with age, but a snake cant change its morph

What colours are in existence? Far too many to list

Are there special words to describe different patterns and colours? A "Morph" is the colour mutation of the snake e.g anerythristic, they can also have differant patterns e.g motley

And how can we find out what kind of a corn snake we have? .
Post a pic and we should be able to ID it, but it helps to know the genetics of the parents

n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 17:47:30
Wow, Hannah, thanks for that! We've just spent a considerable amount of time looking at pics and trying to figure it out. At the moment we think it's an Avalanche but I guess we'd have to post a pic so someone experienced can say for sure. Btw, the shop described it as "albino." What could that mean?
HannahB Posted - 20/08/2009 : 16:50:18
yeah hes still classed as a hatchling and then when hes coming up to a year he'll be a yearling
this is the best place to look at the different morphs and identify yours.. i think you described it as "whitish" so im guessing without having seen it that you have a snow - they are very cute
http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php
there are hundreds of different variations and soon you will have picked out your next one!!
n/a Posted - 20/08/2009 : 16:45:20
Also... we're interseted in finding out more about colours:

Does colour change as they grow? What colours are in existence? Are there special words to describe different patterns and colours? And how can we find out what kind of a corn snake we have?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000