The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heatmat prob

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/08/2009 : 20:15:21

hello
im am new to this foruum,,,
i have had my cornsnake (Tigga babes) for 1 and a half years and i have changed his viv 3 times, now i have a woooden viv with glass sliding doorsits a really good viv..
but i have a very hot heat mat and i have put it in the cage with the sordust stuff on topof it..
is it ok to be in there???
thanx
please write back as soon as possible please thanx again
x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/09/2009 : 19:00:02
Sometimes with a big Wooden 3ft Tank, sometimes i heatmat cant quite get the right Temp as its only like 25w. Where a Bulb can heat it all over really
n/a Posted - 06/09/2009 : 15:10:46
ok thanks
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 20:07:28
I mean you can use a Bulb but most people use Mats, but i might switch to Bulb when Noodle is in a 3ft Viv with a Bulb fitting, its a personal choice really, what your happy and comfortable with
n/a Posted - 04/09/2009 : 16:50:32
yes hes having a great time... i have uploaded some pics of his viv and of himm so take a look if you want :)
HannahB Posted - 03/09/2009 : 19:42:02
well done you Rach for being prepared to do everything for tigga
i bet he loves his new home with all the branches and hides and the right temps now
n/a Posted - 03/09/2009 : 16:07:31
aww thanx kellog... i really like your comment,,,, i do want to get everything i can to make tiggas life better... thank you x
Sammysnake Posted - 03/09/2009 : 08:27:25
quote:
also does anyone have a reptiglo 25w bulb in there tank? if i have it on for more than half an hour it shoots the temperture right up. but i thought they there just an ordinary light

If it is any sort of a light emitting bulb, then it will emit heat. In fact, 90% of the elecrical energy going into a bulb comes out in the form of heat rather than light, even infra red ones. The lower the wattage of bulb, the less energy it will use and therefore less heat and light. Hope this helps.

(Sorry, this reply was for MissTwinkle - I didn't realise the post I read from her was was so long ago until I just reread the thread. It doesn't make sense now.
Kellog Posted - 03/09/2009 : 03:40:02
Just want to say how great it is having someone who so obviously cares for their snake and is doing everything they can to get it right - not being afraid to ask questions, getting as much advice as possible and following it. Well done Rach-Tigga-x!!! xxx
n/a Posted - 02/09/2009 : 09:47:50
thank youuuu,,,,, i have now got a huge hide half in the hot and half in the cool side,,,, i also have bought a lock for the sliding doors,,,, thanx to this forum,,, Tigga has a lovely home at a great heat for Tig!!!
thanx againn and i willl be uploading pics of Tiggas home so please have a look and if you can think of anything else that would be good to put in the viv please let me now, as i want tigga too live life to the full!!
hillzi Posted - 17/08/2009 : 16:48:31
Agree with KC; you need no light (I forget the word) but it looks nice.
As corns do get their heat through the ground, it's best to get a mat, on a matstat. If you get heat lamp, it will have to be on a dimming stat. it will have to be guarded as we don't want snakey squeezing round the bulb and burning himself or breaking the bulb and getting glass everywhere do we?
The bulb would have to positioned like the heatmat; so 1/3rd of the viv will be warmer than the rest of the viv.

Bulbs are idealy for bigger snakes (I think?)

Anyway; check out the DIY section, I beleive that Lee did I guide on how to fit a light bulb in the tank; and post some pics of your set-up when it's up and running!
KITTYCAT Posted - 17/08/2009 : 12:58:39
hi ther n welcome , technically you dont need a bulb in your tak as snakes take there heat from their belly. saying that i have a 100w nightlight bulb in my viv as thats what was suggested to me when i bought the snakes i have a thermostat wired to my haet bulb so it doesnt make the tank to warm.
hillzi Posted - 17/08/2009 : 10:09:20
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

ha ha ha what a bunch of noobs...

this isn't the dark side SB

As long as you have one warm hide kept warm by a heatmat on a thermostat, and use a digi thermometer (more accurate) thats kept at around 28-30* and a hide for the cooler end in the tank; a waterbowl maybe a piece of bark to help him/her shed.

All these fancy vines and plants aren't neccersairy, but your snake may appreciate something to climb on as it exercises them.
n/a Posted - 17/08/2009 : 09:25:17
ok, i will do!!! im gunna go and buy one today or tomorrow,,, im also gunna put some shelfs up in the viv so he has more room and he also can go on different heights... and move around more!!
is there anything else i should put in the cage???
thanx
x
Chimp276 Posted - 16/08/2009 : 20:05:05
U mite need to get another hide to put in the cool end this will make ur snake even more happy!!
n/a Posted - 15/08/2009 : 22:14:30
mum has set it up now, heatmat in one half with his hide, water in the other cool side..
she got some branches from the wood today, cleaned them and baked them in oven to kill all bugs.
Temp is set at 77, cool side reads at 70, and hot side reads 80. tigga seems really happy now, he goes from the cool to the warm, i just wanna see him on the branches now.
thank you x
n/a Posted - 14/08/2009 : 16:26:01
ok thanx i will do that tonight,,,
my mum has just bought a thermostat for £40 :(
i will clear the chippings tonight i dont know right bow what the temp is but i will queck when i get home and yes i do have a thermometer, i have 2. one for the cool side of the viv and one for the hot!!
thanx once again x
matty18714 Posted - 14/08/2009 : 11:59:05
quote:
Originally posted by misstwinkle

i have my thermostat on, and when i feel the mat under the wood chippins it never seems to be warm. the temperature seems to be ok tho, but it does worry me alittle coz i thought snakes like to lay on a warm spot.
also does anyone have a reptiglo 25w bulb in there tank? if i have it on for more than half an hour it shoots the temperture right up. but i thought they there just an ordinary light

Clear most of the chippings from over the heat mat. They may be stopping the heat. What is the actual temperature? Have you got a thermometer?

Is that bulb on a stat and guarded? If not turn it of straight away, it will burn the snake.
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/08/2009 : 10:51:42
ha ha ha what a bunch of noobs...
n/a Posted - 14/08/2009 : 08:26:37
my mum is going to buy me one today!!!
thank you for all the help, but the people on www.reptileforums.com are telling me the heatmat shouldnt be in the cage!!! i find this forum alot better and the members are nicer too!
thanx x
misstwinkle Posted - 14/08/2009 : 00:23:13
yea its on permanently. i unplugged it once just to see if the heat mat worked

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000