The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/08/2009 : 17:32:26
can I unplug the heat mat at night?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 10/08/2009 : 18:02:49
a night time drop on a mat isn't needed because the air temperature will drop anyway, so leave it on 24/7.

....as well as keeping a safe temperature, thermostats will also save you money on your electric bill because they half the time mats are switched on ;)
Stumpy Posted - 10/08/2009 : 15:40:15
I have mine on a thermostat and keep it on at all times.
As for Digital thermometers I found a cheap one in Lydls witch measures internal and external temp, the external is on a long wire which inserted to the viv gives the viv temp.
n/a Posted - 10/08/2009 : 14:18:58
Agree with the above, but I would not recommend turning the stat down on a night - if you're anything like me there will be one day where you forget to turn it back up, which could affect your snake's ability to digest their food etc.

Certainly for a corn snake, they'll be fine if their hot end is permanently the same (correct) temperature. If your snake wants a cooler temperature, it will move closer to the cold side of the viv.

And a thermostat is a requirement otherwise you have no control over the temp (well, it's possible without one, but certainly a lot harder).
SexyBear77 Posted - 10/08/2009 : 12:28:38
I dont unplug mine, and I wouldnt either. You could try turning your stat (if you have one) down a couple of degrees at night to simulate a natural temperature drop, but most of us dont bother.
Chimp276 Posted - 09/08/2009 : 21:41:00
NO dont lol! Just leave it on!

You need a thermostat to regulate the temperature as well tho!
hillzi Posted - 09/08/2009 : 17:45:16
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

a thermostat can WILL control the temp

but theyr'e essential but wouldn't work to effect without a digital thermometer.

Welcome too.

At night time you can try turn your thermostat a tad... But not sure what degree to, but I don't do this. it's constantly between 28-31 but its not essential to turn it down.
HannahB Posted - 09/08/2009 : 17:35:12
no.. they need a hot end and a cool end at all times.. a thermostat can help control the temp at the hot end if you are worried about snakey over heating

welcome btw
matty18714 Posted - 09/08/2009 : 17:34:40
No, I would keep it on. You will also need to have a thermostat running your heat mat.

Welcome to the forum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000