The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 inbreeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 05/08/2009 : 19:26:19
is there much imbreeding within corn snakes and what sorts of problems arrive (if any)
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 06/08/2009 : 19:15:55
the main problem with inbreeding (this applies to ANY species) is that there is a higher chance of undesirable recessive traits becoming homozygous which then starts a snowballing effect because once homo that trait is guaranteed to be passed down if that animal ever breeds.

When the Bloodred morph was a new thing there was lots of inbreeding to get more bred and to intensify the deep red colouring, but this caused them to develop feeding problems and they were quite notorious for this.
Only through outcrossing to bring in fresh lines has this eventually become a thing of the past.
gingerpony Posted - 05/08/2009 : 22:53:49
but crossing out with another breeder trying to create the same morphs is a good idea - to increase the gene pool to try to avoid genetic defects
lee2308 Posted - 05/08/2009 : 20:13:41
As sb said,inbreeding is common place within snake breeding
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/08/2009 : 19:30:35
corns are often interbred to produce and improve the designer morphs, and they can withstand inbreeding within the first few generations.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000