The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/07/2009 : 15:28:49
hiya all
Ive just got my first Corn Snake its 4ft and am a little scared to pick it up or hold it just incase it stricks at me what can i do 2 carm my nurves and make the snake c iam nothing to worry about HELP PLEASE :(
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
misstwinkle Posted - 02/08/2009 : 22:29:11
soo not good enough lol
Remmy Posted - 02/08/2009 : 21:43:13
errrrrrrr..........welllllll.....errrr...i haven`t got one on there misstrinkle
misstwinkle Posted - 02/08/2009 : 20:47:11
i never saw a pic of u on there remmy, where urs?? or is there one and i miss it?
Remmy Posted - 02/08/2009 : 20:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

Now now Lee..

All in good taste lol

Oh off course Lee
lee2308 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 19:07:20
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

Now now Lee..

All in good taste lol
Remmy Posted - 02/08/2009 : 18:59:18
Now now Lee..
lee2308 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 18:34:37
quote:
Originally posted by misstwinkle

cool:)then everyone can see how beautiful he is, just like his owner lol

we do have a members photo section if you get the urge to show us http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4278&SearchTerms=members,photos
misstwinkle Posted - 02/08/2009 : 18:16:10
cool:) ill try and stick a pic on here alittle later maybe pop a ruler beside him. then everyone can see how beautiful he is, just like his owner lol
lee2308 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 17:54:03
7 days is fine for now
misstwinkle Posted - 02/08/2009 : 17:35:45
thanks lee. ill give him 2 fluffies on wednesday and do that for afew weeks then move him up to small mice. will i still fed him every 7 days on small mice or should i leave it abit longer?
lee2308 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 17:02:21
if it's body is as thick as a 10p it should manage a adult fine but dont jump straight from fussy to adults,give it 3-4 feds of 2-3 fuzzies then a coule of feeds of a small mouse then move up to a adult mouse.
Stumpy Posted - 02/08/2009 : 14:14:52
Both Sid and Tango are 4' in length. I have just fed both of them a Medium size Mouse and they did not hesitate in taking them.
When I went and Got Tango, I got the owner to get him out of his viv so he was not stressed they handed him to me.
I handled him for a few minutes then placed him in a bag for transport. The Viv was placed in the back of the car and I set off home.
When I got him home I handled him a little more before plcing him back in his viv and now he is more than happy to come to me.
He even fed while on my lap.
misstwinkle Posted - 02/08/2009 : 13:32:27
now im confused, ive just weighed him and hes 200g which means he should be on adults but im sure he'd never be able to manage one of those.
his setup is fine, got everything he needs
Remmy Posted - 02/08/2009 : 08:33:08
Dont feed him for a week to give him time to settle in. I think fluffs are going to be too small for him. Their is another size between fluffs and small mice `crawlers. If you wait a week and weigh him before you feed him then we can help more with the size of food. Give him the 2 fluffs to start with.
Also have you got his set up right, 2 hides, water bowl, stat, digital thermometers.
misstwinkle Posted - 01/08/2009 : 23:23:13
thanks remmy
i havent weighed him yet, the thickest part of his body is bout the thickness of a 10p
apparently he was fed on wednesday. i picked up acouple of fluffys today. do u think i should try him with one tomorra?
Remmy Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:56:53
Misstwinkle here is a guide to go by:

When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
Remmy Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:54:45
quote:
Originally posted by misstwinkle

hello ive just had my first corn snake given to me, hes 2 years old and 3ft long. when i got the viv it was a mess, poo everywhere only only 1 small hide and a small water dish, he definatly hadnt had the love and care he needed, its all changed now tho:)
the only thing im worried about is the feedin, she told me that he has a fluffy every week sometimes 2 a week. so should i feed him 2 aweek? the reason i say this is coz my friend has the same age corn snake, but hes on small mice now.
i know hes too small to have a small mouse. does anyone think hes been under fed all his life? if anyone has a 2 year old, what does urs feed on?
i dont wanna over feed him but i dont want him to be hungry...
i know all snakes are different and eat differently, it would just be interestin to know if mine is small for a 2 year old

It depends on the snakes weight misstwinkle. At two years old he shouldn`t still be on fluffs. Do you know what he weighs? The food should be roughly 10-15% of the snakes body weight and can be 1 1/2times the size of the thickest part of the snakes body.
misstwinkle Posted - 01/08/2009 : 22:34:40
hello ive just had my first corn snake given to me, hes 2 years old and 3ft long. when i got the viv it was a mess, poo everywhere only only 1 small hide and a small water dish, he definatly hadnt had the love and care he needed, its all changed now tho:)
the only thing im worried about is the feedin, she told me that he has a fluffy every week sometimes 2 a week. so should i feed him 2 aweek? the reason i say this is coz my friend has the same age corn snake, but hes on small mice now.
i know hes too small to have a small mouse. does anyone think hes been under fed all his life? if anyone has a 2 year old, what does urs feed on?
i dont wanna over feed him but i dont want him to be hungry...
i know all snakes are different and eat differently, it would just be interestin to know if mine is small for a 2 year old
hillzi Posted - 31/07/2009 : 10:36:55
First of all, welcome!

good advice SB.

I'd defo put a bit of clothing, but nothing that smells too strong of deodrant/perfume in there, change the decor around and water daily.

When it comes to handling, leave the viv open for a while, best to do so in the evening when the corn is mostly likely to be ready to roam around and he, being an inquisitive snake, will check you out. it's best to put your arm by the door so he will slither out onto your arm and he wont even know he's being handled!

then when he's on your arm let him get comfortable knowing your'e not a big monster.
it's best to hold them gently a 1/3rd of the way down their body and keep their body close to you, have a good grip with both hands, so not as to drop him or to squeeze him at all. I always let mine run through my hands. I try to scoop it up if i need to move it.
SexyBear77 Posted - 31/07/2009 : 10:18:18
if the snake is docile and tame, then the only thing you have to fear is your nerves! did you handle the snake at all before you bought it? At 4 feet it would be a bit daunting for a first snake if you dont have much experience, but remember that your snake will be much more afraid of you than you are of it. Deffo get someone experienced to help you with handling the first couple of times, and be very slow and patient. Put a piece of your clothing that you have been wearing into the viv with your snake to get it used to your smell, and when picking up keep movements slow but purposeful. Try not to touch the snake and then snatch your hand back, as it will only make it nervous.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000