The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Buying new!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vinal Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:23:54
hey all, today i saw my uncles new python, looks so amazing, iv been looking around, and because im "new" to the whole snake scene, i looked around a bit, and see Milk Snakes/Kings and Corn snakes, are good for starters? - I now want a snake, i was looking for some info, ill buy the snake from the pet store (so will be hatched and ready) so it would be rather small, i was woundering, what is the best size (i know starter kits etc) however, id rather buy a large tank right away then just let him grow to it, rather then spend more by upgrading, however i dont know the actual (best fit) for a fully grown snake ( i know noone will know the exact size mine would be) but in average i hear 4-6 ft, so what tank size would you's reccomend? also if anyone can show me some of their tanks, and its layouts etc would be a great help (Or direct me to the thread that may hold any) thanks
James
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 29/07/2009 : 03:39:33
see my sig
eeji Posted - 28/07/2009 : 23:30:28
my hatchlings start off in cricket tubs, then move up to 4.5 litre food boxes, then 14 litre clip boxes at around 12-18 months, and when they outgrow that they will finally go into 50 litre really useful boxes
a33272 Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:02:34
i just got a full size adult set up but just got a cheap RUB from poundland to put my baby in to start
HannahB Posted - 28/07/2009 : 15:43:49
i know wilkos do an 11 litre fish tank for £5.49 if that helps and ive just bought a medium size faun for my new little one the exo terra fauns come with a little divider piece so you could get a big one and then make it slightly smaller
hope this helps
Stumpy Posted - 28/07/2009 : 02:44:00
By all means get a vivarium for an adult snake, if it is the cheapest option.
A small corn will be a little stressed if it is in the full viv but you could make a partition for the viv and reduce the size, only increasing it as the snake grows.
Vinal Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:43:00
Ohh right, yeah i understand about size etc, and yes, my uncle showed me a lot today, with the heat pads etc, and the heat thermomitor and things, think im okay on that, was really the sizes and things . With that link you have sent me, for a new born, what litre would you reccomend? (Thanks)
matty18714 Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:39:16
That depends on what the starter kit includes. RUB's are the most commonly used non-snake-brand plastic tubs. http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php

The general rule of thumb is:

The width of the tank + the length of the tank = the maximum length of the snake that can live in there.

This means its not really the age of the snake that depends if it can go into a viv, its the size.

Have you thought about how you will heat the tank/viv?
Vinal Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:35:29
Okay thanks, so a plastic tub will be fine, so you reccomend the starter kit then me upgrade? (for the snakes benifit), or could i just use a okay sized tub aorund the house? (how long would it be in the tub for?) also, how old would you say an "mid aged snake" not a hatchling or young would be, before moving it to a viv?
matty18714 Posted - 27/07/2009 : 21:29:44
Welcome to the world of snakes. The care for corns, kings and milks are all pretty simular and simple.

Snakes get stressed out by being in large spaces, which means you wont be able to keep a hatchling or young snake in a viv. A fully grown snake will be fine in a 3-4ft viv. A young snake can be kept in a plastic tub or a faunarium.

Have a read of the care sheet on the home page of the site.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000