The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Too much Food ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
janeann10uk Posted - 17/07/2009 : 06:35:33
Can you overfeed a corn ? My ButterMotley ate 2 fuzzys and 2 next size up mice last night !! Hes not quite a year old yet !
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 20/07/2009 : 15:01:08
Gready snakey!
janeann10uk Posted - 20/07/2009 : 12:27:38
Not ill but iv never seen a poop THAT size !!! lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 19/07/2009 : 20:43:01
lol- his eyes are bigger than his belly!

bet he felt ill afterwards!
janeann10uk Posted - 19/07/2009 : 09:03:42
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

all in the same night?

yes All in a space of about 30 mins !! Wot a pig !
Kellog Posted - 19/07/2009 : 02:56:53
We are lucky, we have a fairly close garden centre with a pet/reptile shop. The guys who work there are snake mad and run a small 'kennel' cos they could never find anyone to look after their snakes when they went away. They only take on under 10, so you have to book in early. Dont think I have any friends who would be happy looking after Kellog, even changing the water let alone feeding him! Try looking in your area for something similar, but make sure you check it out really well and are happy with their care. We are off on holiday for a week on Friday, so Kellog and Woody (dog) will go to their seperate 'kennels'. Its a weight off my mind. xxx
matty18714 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 22:22:33
Oh, yes its fine to leave the snake for 15 days, that wont cause any problems. But you would have to get someone to change the water.

When you get back feed it as much as you would normaly.
hiper2009 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 22:08:20
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Well you shouldnt really be handling a snake thats not eating. Idealy you want it eating unless there is a clear and likly reason for the fsting such as breeding season (some males choose not to eat).

Oh sorry i should have made my self a little bit more clear , lets say if i had to go on a bussiness trip from work and i had to go from Leicester to spain for a period of 14 - 15 days would the snake be ok with out a feed for a max of 15 days and then when i get back he will get like a double feed or is this not a good idea if its not im sure my brother will be ok to feed it. But this may happen in the future not now.
matty18714 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 21:50:56
Well you shouldnt really be handling a snake thats not eating. Idealy you want it eating unless there is a clear and likly reason for the fsting such as breeding season (some males choose not to eat).
hiper2009 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 21:43:56
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Depends what condition its in in the first place. If its in good condition then around a year.

so a snake can go with out food easily for 6 months if its a big snake and in good condition and be handled at the same time as well ?
matty18714 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 21:41:05
Depends what condition its in in the first place. If its in good condition then around a year.
hiper2009 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 21:38:21
How long can a corn snake go with out foood for ?
cherry-milkshake Posted - 18/07/2009 : 02:05:01
Yep, they can be right lil greedy sods! And as Kaz said, prone to getting fat (bit like me with choccy, hehe!) If he's eating that many in one night, depending on the size of him, try feeding one larger pray item every 5-7 days and increase the size of this in line with his size, don't feed any single item larger than 1.5 times the width of your snakes body at the widest point. One way to tell if your corn is getting too fat is to hold him (gently but securely! and not for more than a few seconds) about one fourth of the length of his body up from his tail, his natural reaction should be to pull the rest of himself upward, and he should easily be able to lift and hold at least another two fourths of his body
lee2308 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 15:34:00
cons do have eyes bigger than their bellys and will eat and eat
Kazerella Posted - 17/07/2009 : 11:20:48
yes you can overfeed a corn- in fact they are prone to obesity as they will usually take a lot more than they need (they are opportunist feeders in the wild so eat when they can). Long term effects of over-eating can shorten the lifespan but as a one off he'll be fine.

I would leave it a good 10 days before feeding him again and maybe exercise a bit more during that time.
SexyBear77 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 10:26:34
all in the same night?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000