The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 advice given from the pet shop, is it ok?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 17:46:02
Hi I am getting a hatchling soon, and went to buy the set up today. I could not get an stat anywhere!!! One pet shop said i could put the heat mat on a timer, one hour on one hour off. Is this safe? I have the heat mat upner the plastic viv at the mo been on about an hour and its at 28c at the mo. (no snake in there yet!)
what do you guys think? is this ok till i get a stat? if so I can pick up the snake tommrrow!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:20:38
I have 4 layers of newspaper in there in total and putting my hand in I can feel the heat getting through so im hopeing that will be fine! Im just experiementing before the snake goes in so I know it will be happy! I will be getting a stat first of course!!
gingerpony Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:06:59
too much and you'll insulate the heat away from the snake and potentially struggle to get your temps high enough
gingerpony Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:06:06
just one layer's fine, it's all they need!
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:04:48
just a couple should be fine, so they can get inbetween the layers if they want. Just make sure your heat mat is properly controlled!
devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 20:02:31
sounds like you were lucky! just another little question. When I had my old corn he was already an adult,so had terrain in his viv. The one im getting is a hatchling. I was going to use newspaper/kitchen roll on the bottom for a while so I can spot any probs early, how many layers of newspaper would be ok?? The heat mat is under the tank not in it!
solid Posted - 11/07/2009 : 19:44:43
i had a probe come off a mat the other day, dont know how or how long for but when i repositioned the probe the mat was bakeing hot even for me. luckily solid spends most of his time at the other end or he could have been seriously hurt, or worse. all probes are taped to mats.
devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 19:22:44
the timer i got only does 15 on 15 off, just trying it see what happens! Only out of curiosity id never do it if i had my snake in there! might be usefull if a stat ever packes up in an emergancy!
Remmy Posted - 11/07/2009 : 18:51:47
I did have mine on a timer before i got a stat. It takes a lot of working out before you get the temps right and its not as accurate as a stat. I had 10 minutes on then 5 minutes off so an hour on at a time will roast them.
gingerpony Posted - 11/07/2009 : 18:51:13
somebody on here does use that method but it's not at all reliable in controlling heat and wouldn't switch off it got too hot or there was a fault.
devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 18:46:52
Oh dont get me wrong i was gona get a stat before putting the snake in, it was just I'd never heard of using a timer before, thought it was a bit weird! Wonderd if anyone else had heard of it before or ever done it. I have had a corn snake before but my ex run off with him! So I knew i needed one.
Remmy Posted - 11/07/2009 : 18:19:11
You can get some good deals on ebay as well
gingerpony Posted - 11/07/2009 : 18:09:59
i believe there's a very reasonably priced mini-stat for sale in the classifieds on here too...........
n/a Posted - 11/07/2009 : 17:59:28
allways do your research befor buying a pet especially reptiles.
and allway get the right equipment befor you get your reptile.

you will need a stat here is a website were you can buy equipment
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/index.php 888 reptiles

later hope this help
if you need any thing just ask
some 1 will allways help

devilsmistress Posted - 11/07/2009 : 17:56:16
had a feeling you'd say that lol! think ill get a stat then!!
gingerpony Posted - 11/07/2009 : 17:49:11
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

that's some of the very worst advice i've ever heard!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000