The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How to build an incubator?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:31:53
Hey all-

was looking at incubators at my local agri store the other day for next years breeding season and they are extortionate! Have been looking for diy ones to make myself, but they all include a polystyrene box, and I am deadly terrified of polystyrene...

So, any other ways of making one, or should I just drink lots of wine before building?

Thanks muchly
Me xx
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cherry-milkshake Posted - 08/07/2009 : 21:47:33
I've heard about the banana phobia, and I saw a guy on telly once who was terrified of oranges! Lmao, shouldn't laff really but I get teased about mine like hell, even by my kids! I think it stems from when my mom used to make me wear the most disgusting cardigans when I was a kid - have to admit it makes buying clothes now rather difficult at times! I can't even say the word you know, just makes me cringe lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 20:28:57
cheers all, and thanks for sharing your fears and phobias too! I always knew there were other weirdo's out there... My OH is completely phobic of people rubbing carpet, so much so that he will retch when you do it (not that I ever do...) and someone I went to college with was phobic of bananas, she would scream whenever she saw one... ha ha ha.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/07/2009 : 19:02:48
Small aquarium can be used as well.
Half fill an aquarium with water, drop heater/stat into the water (aquarium heater), keep an eye on it for a while, until it stabilises the temps.
Make sure the aquarium has a decent lid, otherwise you'll never get the temps to stabilise.

Get a fairly deep plastic tub with a VERY secure lid, air holes in the lid. Have your vermi/moss in the tub floating in the aquarium.
Not excellent, but it could do the job.
An added bonus is that you'll have planty of water warmed up to add to the vermi if it isn't damp enough.
Tizzy Posted - 08/07/2009 : 15:28:39
My sister is scared of cotton wool too - and one of the staff at my local, is terrified of Mayo - course i don't find it at all funny to put little packets of it in her handbag... Tee hee hee.

A plastic box with a lid would do the same job as a polly box but would be harder to keep at the right tempa - you could always butcher an old cool box?? Bit gutted that i binned mine a while back coz the handle was broken, it would have been perfect.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/07/2009 : 01:16:00
I can sort of relate to that as well, I can't stand cotton-wool. So much so that I refuse to go the the dentists because of the little cotton-wooly things thay put in your mouth. Makes me cringe thinking about it.
lee2308 Posted - 08/07/2009 : 00:16:23
what the problem with polystyrene,is it just a phobia?
gingerpony Posted - 07/07/2009 : 20:21:12
look on the breeding section, there's a few people that have made their own (including me) there's pics too
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:37:31
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Hey all-

was looking at incubators at my local agri store the other day for next years breeding season and they are extortionate! Have been looking for diy ones to make myself, but they all include a polystyrene box, and I am deadly terrified of polystyrene...

So, any other ways of making one, or should I just drink lots of wine before building?

Thanks muchly
Me xx

hehehe, so sorry, I shouldn't laugh at your polystyrene affliction! People always laugh at me for being scared of Buttons, so I'm glad I'm not the only one scared of weird stuff!

Not sure of the answer to this one myself - but will watch with interest! Do you reckon you could use a bog standard plastic box with lid and air holes on a heat mat with the temp regulated by a therm? I know you have to put that moss stuff in them and keep them moist, other than that not too sure
cumbrian eejit Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:35:17
have seen on the dark side, some one used a small husky fridge, with trays filled with vermiculite, they used mats sat on the shelves. Quite a good idea I thought, would hold the humidity quite well me thinks.
Scott.
Jono2411 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:33:53
i think you can make a pretty simple one that will do the job fine... i dont know how but some1 will let you know soon...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000