The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 how long...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 09:54:12
how long can corn snakes go with out heat..... got 4 ft corn last week went to set up his bulb etc a day ago.. n would seem the bulb tht came with doesnt work and its only a 50watt.... so have ordered 100 watt bulb just waiting on delivery, yes its all on stat n therm etc... n i have a feeling this may affect his feeding should it go on for any longer, he did wolf down a mouse last week , was told he takes three in one go every 1-2 weeks so gonna try him on a full sized rat next saturday..
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 08/07/2009 : 22:13:24
well had an extrememly successful evening with him, changed his viv round a bit ready for revamp, managed to get him to drink from squirty bottle which in turn inspired the most almighty stinky poop... so no worries about gut rott from last weeks mouse..:O) and sprayed him down with skin soothe.. he had a mooch under me duvet and there he stayed curled up for atleast 15 mins.. he is so laid back he rocks.. and typically always the times me phones not to hand so i cant take pics.. but neigh mind my mind is at rest now... happy dayz..:O)
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/07/2009 : 19:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I'd not give him any food until you've got the heat sorted, they need the heat to aid digestion.

I'd actually recommend a heat mat as opposed to a lamp, they're much easier to control. IMO

i have turned his bulb back on this morning at its sitting fine at 29.1, all through out the night the two heat mats have been doing some annoying fluctuating.. found me royals temp at 36.6 on her mat which annoyed me as been maintaining a nice 32.4 all week.. what thermostats do you run kehhlyr?

I've got 2 habistats on mats for the snakes, and a 1937 mechanical fish-tank stat for the beardies.
Beardie stat is the best stat I've ever had, temp has a 1 or 2 degree variation either side, that's it.
Downside is that it takes about 3-4 weeks to set to the temp you want.
punumbear Posted - 08/07/2009 : 13:59:05
ok new bulb in and its keeping temp but not emitting alot of light tis a blue bulb, does anyone know if corner mount guards are available????.. as thinking of moving this bulb over into back corner as its taking up alot of space which i could be using more for decoration purposes?
Also does any one have their bulbs on timers???.. as atm im leaving it on daytime but it is switched off completely at night?
punumbear Posted - 08/07/2009 : 09:43:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I'd not give him any food until you've got the heat sorted, they need the heat to aid digestion.

I'd actually recommend a heat mat as opposed to a lamp, they're much easier to control. IMO

i have turned his bulb back on this morning at its sitting fine at 29.1, all through out the night the two heat mats have been doing some annoying fluctuating.. found me royals temp at 36.6 on her mat which annoyed me as been maintaining a nice 32.4 all week.. what thermostats do you run kehhlyr?
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/07/2009 : 01:18:43
Anything they can get into really, cereal boxes, loo roll tubes, cravendale bottles. Sometimes even just a bit of cardboard in the viv, if they can get under/in it and feel safe, they'll love it.
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 23:26:05
hide wise bake ya own there is a sticky on it in d.i.y section dont take long at all.. plan to make my royals hides once she moves up a size to her 2 ft viv..
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:52:28
That's true! I saw a plant pot hide on here the other day which looked lovely - don't know why I've never thought of doing that! One of my lot has a cardboard shoe box at the min, which I must get around to replacing with something a bit more durable soon, but am skint atm due to holiday - any ideas?? I have a couple of caves in my other vivs but again exo terra and pricey.
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:37:56
exxo terra stuff is quite pricey but tis decent kit.. but nothing like ya own home made hides etc to own ya own personal touch
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:23:59
Awww, I'm sure it'll be fine. Dunno about venturing out more though, lol, they sure do love to be shy! But a few nice hides and plants (I use plastic ones - they may not be a nice as real but I reckon it irradicates all possibilities of them being harmful and they're easier to clean when your snake poos on them, which mine just luuurve to do!) will look really good and make him feel all comfy-cosy . In my beardie's tank I have one of those waterfalls from exoterra as well, which looks really nice. I believe corns can use them also, so when cash allows I'm gonna get them for my other three tanks - the small one's are about thirty quid.
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:05:37
bloody hope so cherry.. as he is a lovely snake n kids not enjoyed him yet.. would be a shame for things to go wrong now but hopefully crisis averted.. but will be sorting his viv out soon and making it more cosey n pleasing to the eye n hopefully he will venture out more under the cover of a few more plants n vines etc.:O)
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 22:00:53
quote:

cherry the light has already got guard stat n therm etc ..but have just checked him he has come out of cold hide now and has burrowed under substrate under lamp so guessing he is feeling it.. just hope he is ok after feeding sat when he didnt have any heat due to the hot days we had.But temps keeping up nicely..

I would think you should be ok now that you have everything running at a regular temp. Similar thing happened to me once when I fed them over a bank holiday and then a bulb blew (lol, and there was me advocating bulbs!) but the snake didn't seem to experience anything detrimental. Obviously it would be a problem if they went without heat for a long time or on a regular basis, but I'm sure it will be fine now you have it sorted
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 21:57:45
is all very conflicting advice..as for inhaling things.. cant be any worse that what they would be inhaling say in the corn fields under corrigated iron in the wild.. not exactly a dust free zone there either.
heatseeker872591 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 20:13:52
you cant beat heat bulbs, its the most best heat that replicates life in the wild as in the wild heat comes from up above not from underneath. i was told heat mats are useless for adults aswell as the weight of say a 300 gran plus corn pressing down on a heat mat can cause some thermal burns even if the mat is running off a stat. thats why i run a bulb full time now. and as for aspen i never will use that again after what i found out about that snakes can inhale small fragments of it and get it stuck in their nostrils when they submerge themselves in it
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 18:01:37
cherry the light has already got guard stat n therm etc ..but have just checked him he has come out of cold hide now and has burrowed under substrate under lamp so guessing he is feeling it.. just hope he is ok after feeding sat when he didnt have any heat due to the hot days we had.But temps keeping up nicely..
Jono2411 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 17:35:21
you're not gonna get berated... many use bulbs, many use mats... its all personal preference as long as the temps are correct
cherry-milkshake Posted - 07/07/2009 : 16:45:23
I'm gonna get berated for this for sure, but I use heat mats for babies when their in their small homes, but then when they move into my custom built four stack I heat with lamps - never had a problem! All I would say is you might wanna get a mesh cage around the bulb so the snake doesn't burn itself, and personally I use yellow bulbs, all on therms obviously
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 12:56:19
ok ta ill order one this week.. just hope hes ok
matty18714 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 12:50:41
Not sure on the wattage, just use the right size. (probably 11 x 17)
punumbear Posted - 07/07/2009 : 12:49:53
yus a white light atm.. its on a dimmer.. but what wattage matt would i need in 3 ft viv?
matty18714 Posted - 07/07/2009 : 12:46:53
quote:

right have sourced normal light bulb for now so atleast he will have some sorta heat for now n can change over once proper bulb arrives.

White light? If so make sure you turn it off at night.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000