The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding out of the faun/viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lukey Posted - 07/07/2013 : 18:12:25
Just wondering who feeds their corns outside of the vivs/fauns.
I can see the reasons for it but I'm confused that if you feed it out of the tank that surely you would handle the snake in order to put it back in the viv. Wouldn't this increase stress/regurgitation likelihood or does a quick pick up and down not really matter?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
coxymk2 Posted - 08/07/2013 : 21:04:33
I feed all three of mine out of their vivs just have to wait a few minutes until the mouse has settled a bit in their tums and to give them chance to calm down from their feeding mode.
smart bunny Posted - 08/07/2013 : 19:12:33
Corns and house snake are fed out of the viv. As above, the 'no handling' after feeding just means not a long handling session, lifting them back to the viv is fine. Hoggy is fed in the viv because he is a shy feeder so it has to be left for him. Same with Prism. Artemis the carpet will be far too large as an adult not to feed in the viv, and has a rather strong feeding reflex - don't really want to be getting too close to her while she is still in feeding mode, so fed in the viv lol!
Lukey Posted - 08/07/2013 : 10:12:16
Excellent replies and its good to see what everyone is doing.
Coal Posted - 08/07/2013 : 08:56:29
I've always fed Lovey in the viv by putting his food on a coaster in for him and letting him help himself. He's a shy eater and is reluctant to eat if people are staring at him so we leave him to his own devices, just glancing at him every now and again to make sure he's not eating hi bedding at the same time, though he's been good so far. He's also never shown any form of aggression when I put my hands in the viv, but as he's handled six days out of seven he probably associates my hands more with being picked up than with being fed.

That having been said, I can't see why feeding outside the viv would be a problem so long as, as others have said, they're only gently picked up, food bump supported, to be put back in.
Donnie Posted - 07/07/2013 : 23:33:14
Used to be out the viv but now all fed in their vivs
twistedmonkey Posted - 07/07/2013 : 22:14:01
I fed in the viv for the first few feeds till he settled, now I always feed out the viv in a tub on a piece of kitchen roll, it also means I can weigh him before hand as he's already out.

He's taken to wrapping himself round my fingers when he starts eating so it doesn't seem like he is stressed at all, after he's finished Ill lift the kitchen roll up or move him back to viv on my hand if he decides to climb onto me.

I guess its personal preference but also you get some nicer pics when feeding out of the viv
Lee Posted - 07/07/2013 : 21:43:20
a mix of both, babies out of the viv in a small icecream tub then I put the tub at the door of the viv and they make their own way back, older one in the viv on his feeding stone.
yalovit Posted - 07/07/2013 : 21:04:47

i feed in the viv supervised to stop aspen going down said snakes gob.shes been ok up till now
but I always keep an eye on her as you never know.
hillzi Posted - 07/07/2013 : 20:24:57
I fed mine in the viv. With a sheet of newspaper underneath to try prevent any impaction.

For two reasons. My amel got very defensive and started flipping about and hissing when being transfered back into his viv.

Reduce stress and regurge possibility.

My carolina was like a heat seeking missile and has the feeding response of a wiley king(!) so there was no way I would get him out without him smelling the mouse and going crazy.

Plus it was hard to get him to feed out of the viv anyhow, so I figured leave him to it and let him eat stress free at his own time.

I'd like to note though I never encountered any form of viv defense behavior. Corns are dense but they do know the difference between mickey mouse and you, just give them a few seconds to "taste" you and realise the difference.

lupi lou Posted - 07/07/2013 : 20:23:26
I feed mine in the viv, but we feed some of the ones at work out of the viv, as it's only a short handle it's fine you just need to make sure you support the food bump when you move them. It's more full on handling sessions after feeding that could cause a regurge.
Razee Posted - 07/07/2013 : 18:56:20
I feed mine out of viv - for two reasons. When Baz is fed in the viv , she never eats off a kitchen towel, she strikes, constricts, rolls with the mouse, then drags it across the whole floor backwards and covers it in Aspen. I also have a short handle before feeding - as Baz especially mostly lies in cold hide, and sometimes wouldn't be warm enough to eat. By handling her for 10 mins or so before feed, she warms up on me nicely, and is more than ready to eat.

When finished she can either crawl back in the viv from the feeding box by herself, or I'll pick her up. It's only a gentle transfer to the viv, so she's not really handled at all - and it doesn't stress her out.

If, however, you've got a small hatchling, that is still nervous of handling, you're much better of feeding in the viv, and not stressing it out.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 07/07/2013 : 18:34:13
Never thought of it myself but a good question to ask. I'd like to see the answers. I personally prefer to feed inside the tank.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000