The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermometer and thermostat sensor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marcus214 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 18:49:27
Should the thermometer and thermostat sensor go on top of the substrate or underneath? At the moment it is on top and wasn't sure if having it a specific way will help stabilise the temperature?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 07/07/2013 : 16:45:04
I had the same Monkfield viv for a while - it's brilliant, best temps I've had in any vivs. The heatmat is placed between the two sheets of glass ( from the outside ). The two probes ( thermostat and thermometer, rubber banded together ), pushed through the bung at the back, lay inside the viv, on the glass, over the heatmat.
You set the thermostat to a required temperature, then monitor it with the thermometer.

I had the best thermal gradient in a Monkfield, as the glass is a bit wider, than the mat - so it was warmest over the mat, slightly cooler over the rest of the glass, and cool in the opposite end. It also held a very good ambient temperature, being so flat. Shame Little T has outgrown it....on the other hand - empty viv...hm.
Lukey Posted - 07/07/2013 : 06:13:36
I.e if I checked the temp of the stat it may be 45c at the mat but in the actual faun it may only be 30c for example
Lukey Posted - 07/07/2013 : 05:50:22
But wouldn't the mat need to be hotter than 30c in order to show the thermometer reading inside at 30 due to heat loss?
coxymk2 Posted - 07/07/2013 : 01:03:07
You have the thermometer probe inside the faun directly above the heatmat the stat probe goes on the heatmat and you have to use the thermometer probe as your reading. The thermostat probe is then used to keep the heatmat at the right temperature to keep the heat within the viv at the right level. DO NOT use the thermostat reading as the temperature that is within the faunarium as this can be miles away from the actual temperature within the faun.
Lukey Posted - 06/07/2013 : 21:31:20
Hope it's ok if I make my first post in here and ask a similar question rather than making a new thread.
I bought my Carolina corn on Wednesday and have him in a faunarium with a heat mat which is underneath the faunarium. I'm using a microclimate ministat 100 which I currently have the probe for inside the faunarium 50/50 inside and onto of the substrate.
The stat only goes up to 35c so if I was to use the method of placing the probe sensor on the mat itself surely my reading within the faunarium as above
With my thermometer would be no where near 30c due to the loss of Celsius from the mat to the substrate?
Does that make any sense? Hopefully it does. Thank you
Kellog Posted - 05/07/2013 : 23:56:16
No thanks necessary, it's what we're here for .

Xxx
marcus214 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 23:54:49
I'm pretty sure I have it all sorted correctly now. Thank you for your help :)
Kellog Posted - 05/07/2013 : 23:30:11
Did a search on Monkfield vivs and from what I've read I think this is a situation where you have the heatmat under the 'viv', as in under the glass, but have both probes together inside the viv. This thread might help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24521&SearchTerms=Monkfield

Xxx
marcus214 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 23:06:57
Haha Kellog, you are correct! The heat mat slides in underneath the floor of the viv. This may be a really stupid question but how exactly would I put the thermostat probe on the heatmat? There is a bit of the heatmat that sticks out the back as the whole thing obviously can not slide in because of the wiring, would I just lay the probe on top of that?

Thank you
Kellog Posted - 05/07/2013 : 22:47:34
I THINK I'm right in saying that with the Monkfield the heat mat is under the floor of the viv? If not then what I'm going to say is going to be rubbish . IF that is the case then the thermostat probe needs to be on the heatmat and the thermometer probe needs to be on the bottom of the viv, above where the heatmat is. It's the same system as when you have a RUB or faunarium. IF I've got it totally wrong and the heatmat is inside the viv then the probes should be together, lying flat on the heatmat with just a small sprinkling of substrate over that area.

Hope that's some help.

Xxx
coxymk2 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 20:56:25
Just read your other thread if you are using the monkfield your sensors need to be on the floor of the viv above the heatmat to get a proper reading.
coxymk2 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 20:48:09
They need to be together directly in contact with the heatmat
LukeW Posted - 05/07/2013 : 19:48:40
I put them down before I put the substrate in must be fine as my corns never regurge :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000