The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Escaping

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marcus214 Posted - 04/07/2013 : 15:44:40
At the moment my corn is in a a plastic viv with a loose lid and the lid is held down with an elastic band over it. I was just wondering if this is secure enough and she won't be able to escape, she is only 3 months old and not very big but I have heard they are quite strong and having read quite a few topics on snakes escaping it was worrying me a bit.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
greenow Posted - 06/07/2013 : 12:44:50
If you go to one of those home bargin shops you can pick up a box with clip down lid for £8 that's what I used for mine before I got a viv which I had at the bargin price of £56 on amazon
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 05/07/2013 : 22:25:06
Marcus, i believe you live near me if the dunelm mill and pets at home is near the beach :P
Anywhoos. I do agree with everyone as you should get something stronger. Both of mine popped the lid of the containers we brought them home in!
smart bunny Posted - 05/07/2013 : 11:12:41
Lol - well if you've already got one then it's definitely cost effective and more secure to get her in there asap!

You are welcome
marcus214 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 10:35:34
Well I did actually purchase one when I got Sid for only £69 so I will probably move her into that. Well that's perfect for me because there is a Dunelm Mill right next to Pets at Home. Thanks for your help :)
smart bunny Posted - 05/07/2013 : 10:27:32
The monkfield vivs are absolutely lovely, but they are pricy (I see they are doing £20 off in store at the moment) compared with the plastic fauns and obviously won't be any good when she gets bigger which will happen surprisingly fast so may be a false economy? It would be fine sizewise for her at the moment though, not too big at all, the main thing is to put plenty of cover in - hides, foliage etc (go to Dunelm Mill for fake ivy garlands etc it's great and low cost) so that she feels secure.

marcus214 Posted - 05/07/2013 : 10:18:49
Thanks for your responses guys. I'm not too sure what to do. For the meantime I have placed something on top of the lid so it is properly weighed down, and yes smart bunny she was purchased at Pets at Home. By any chance did you see the wooden viv they had for sale? This is it anyway... http://www.petsathome.com/shop/monkfield-terranium-kit-small-(available-in-selected-stores-only)-60989 I was thinking of putting her in this but wasn't sure if it was too big. What does everyone think? She is about 13" now (rough guess, haven't been able to measure her yet)and the dimensions of the viv are on the website.

Thanks everyone :D
smart bunny Posted - 05/07/2013 : 09:56:39
Actually, that is not as large as the 'large flat' faun which was suggested Fi, that's this one ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exo-Terra-PT2310-Faunarium-Large/dp/B0002AR48Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_2/276-3585853-9167541

I definitely agree, you need a much more secure home for your snake - did you get them from Pets at Home by any chance? Just asking because I got one from there and it was in a plastic box with a rubber band around it - acceptable for temporarily in a shop where they are also locked away in another dark area, but not big enough to put enough proper hides in once you get home.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 05/07/2013 : 06:14:39
They can be very strong even though she is still so young. If you can, this is the faunarium that people have mentioned, it is cheap and will make sure that she can't escape

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terra-Faunarium-Plastic-Terrarium-36x21x16cm/dp/B00CFJMGSS/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1373000998&sr=1-6&keywords=faunarium

Then you have time to decide on which viv you are going to keep her in permanently
herriotfan Posted - 04/07/2013 : 19:36:32
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I think it would just be easier to get a new faun, the exo terra large flat is a good one :)

I'd suggest this too.
If she's only 3 months this will last her until she's big enough for a vivarium.
Better to be safe than sorry....
ScalySituation Posted - 04/07/2013 : 16:42:11
I think it would just be easier to get a new faun, the exo terra large flat is a good one :)
Coal Posted - 04/07/2013 : 16:40:04
I agree with SilverWings, that does not sound very secure. A fitted lid would be better but failing that, could you put something very heavy, like a dictionary or some such on top, along with the elastic band? That might help prevent any escape-attempts from succeeding
SilverWings Posted - 04/07/2013 : 16:34:19
Probably not ideal, elastic bands aren't really very strong. Not only that, they can stretch. If you cann't get a box with a fixed lid I would suggest using something that won't stretch, a strap or something.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000