The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Is it normal?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LukeW Posted - 02/07/2013 : 23:53:20
I brought a charcoal corn unknown sex from a local garden centre could tell it had never been handled because as a member of staff took it out the rub ready to package it, it was going bonkers found out the next day it was going into blue, anyway since then its had a feed and a nice clean shed today I brought it Wednesday, I thought if change the kitchen tissue as it had pooped on it as i picked it up it started going wild literally couldn't hold it could this be because it only shed a few hours ago or?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LukeW Posted - 06/07/2013 : 11:06:48
Still tries to make a run for it tho but not as bad I always make sure it's nice and quiet when I handle it to try keep it calm :)
Kellog Posted - 05/07/2013 : 22:50:43
I'm so glad it's settled down. It's original behaviour wasn't surprising and now it's had a bit of time to work out that you aren't the big baddy you seem to be .

Xxx
LukeW Posted - 05/07/2013 : 18:34:27
Tbh Kellog it has actually settled down abit still flintchy but hold able would t leave my hand earlier had to change the kitchen paper again as it had pooped again, it seems like a different snake compared to how it was in the shop and earlier in the week used to go bonkers when I tried to change the water now it just wants to come out all the time :) gonna give it a few more weeks regular but short handling and can hopefully go get it sexed :) for a charcoal the colours are strange it has the grey eyes with black pupils rosey red cheeks and tinges of red on top of its head and few down the body, looks kinda bugg eyed to me but still a cutie :)
Kellog Posted - 05/07/2013 : 11:13:29
Can't wait to see pics of them all Luke . I know its only been a few days but is your charcoal settling down a bit?

Xxx
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 05/07/2013 : 06:01:44
Opened my emails before I saw this so am on the case
LukeW Posted - 04/07/2013 : 12:42:22
Tried to find your email from before cant find it, send me a random email Fi so I can send one back :)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 04/07/2013 : 11:07:28
Wow the collection has grown quickly Luke! Email me some pics and names and I will do you a new sig if you want
LukeW Posted - 04/07/2013 : 01:04:58
And I couldn't help it saw the charcoal in a pet shop and felt sorry for it so brought it there and then and as for the CB13s I don't know if you've saw my fire on fb his colours are amazing and the anery got thrown in for £10 due me to me traveling 70 miles to a breeder :)
LukeW Posted - 04/07/2013 : 00:53:42
My 2 CB13s are poop machines looked at the charcoal and it seems to have a slight hint of red to it, I.e looks like it has rosey cheeks and has a light red tinge to it on the head and down the back yet the rest of it is grey and black (charcoal) colour :p
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 03/07/2013 : 21:41:38
Aww poor little pop. Give her time and see how you get on. Dont force things upon her though
Kellog Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:40:48
From no corns to 5 in 4 months ....you've gone down the path of addiction fast !!

As has been said, your snake's behaviour is perfectly understandable. It will have been tired and slightly stressed having just shed but it's behaviour is most likely to it not having been handled and being terrified . It's probably been fine when you've put your hand in because your hand wasn't descending on it, so this was totally different.

And it sounds like you are going to have to go about things a bit differently to how you did with Cyrus. It's not had such a good start in life and will probably need more time and patience before you notice results. But, as you know, it'll be worth it in the end .

As for using the tail to tell what sex the snake is some people believe they can but, as Serena has said, it's unreliable, especially if you don't have experience doing it.

Xxx
LukeW Posted - 03/07/2013 : 12:42:19
This weekend I've gone from 2 corns to 5 made a rack so thought might as well fill it :p
serena_08 Posted - 03/07/2013 : 11:32:14
It can be but it is unreliable. Get it used to being handled and then get it probed at your local vet/rep centre :)
smart bunny Posted - 03/07/2013 : 11:31:45
Aww poor little sweetie! I'm sure she will calm down given time, but may well need a bit more patience than your previous corn if she's not been handled at all. Congrats on your new addition :D
LukeW Posted - 03/07/2013 : 10:04:52
She seems fairly chilled when I change her water when I fed her she was rattling her tail while eating which seemed fairly amusing will just leave her till the weekend she's the same size roughly as my normal corn who's bang on 2ft compared the sheds and the charcoal has a shorter tail than my normal is that any clue to sex or?
herriotfan Posted - 03/07/2013 : 09:59:52
If the poor little mite hasn't been handled then she will be flighty and quick. It's her natural reaction to escape...you could be a preditor!

Like the others have said you need to give her time.
Lee Posted - 03/07/2013 : 09:43:03
It sounds like it's not been handled, give it time and it will be ok, after a week just handle it a few minutes maybe several times a day at first. Some snakes are just more chilled than others and no two are the same.
LukeW Posted - 03/07/2013 : 09:34:26
I have left her she seems fine tho out most the time are fine only got her out to change the kitchen tissue in her rub as she had pooed and knocked her water every where, and where here rub is its fairly dark (bottom shelf of a home made rack) and she's got 2 hides 2 plants and a toilet roll tube in between the hides like a tunnel lol don't think she's ever been handled tho as its not been sexed and was drop fed at the shop so that doesn't help
serena_08 Posted - 03/07/2013 : 08:17:07
Could be, but it needs time to settle in too. When you got it they need t week to settle, spot cleaning and water change only. Leave it now for a bit, put more hides/cover in to make it feel more secure and if poss cover the sides si it can only see out one side. My charcoal was like this for a while lol.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000