The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Hmm, Fat or Not?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Coal Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:06:37
Hi, first of all some apologies because I know there was a very similar thread to this recently, but I didn't want to seem like I was thread-jacking.

Anyway, I'm starting to worry that my Lovecraft might be overweight, mostly because there seems to be a very sharp cut off between his body his tail that looks rather like 'hips'. At first I thought this was because he was male as I'd heard that male snakes tails are broad at the base and start tapering later on, but I don't think it's as extreme as this and I've also heard that this is only really noticeable on adult males and Lovecraft is a yearling. I would look to see where his cloaca is compared to where the divide is but he wriggles too much! I like to think he's deliberately hiding it from me being all like 'Maaaam, that's private!' lol

Anyway I tried to get some pics to show you guys but they didn't come out very well, partly because I was trying to take them one-handed with a very naff phone-camera and partly because the blighter wouldn't keep still! Anyway, any advice on whether he looks overweight or not would be very much appreciated. In case it helps, he is roughly half a metre long and until recently was fed on one fluff a week and they ceased to leave a bump in him. I have just moved him up to smalls and so far have kept the weekly routine. I have had him for nearly three weeks and have handled him litteraly six days a week (the day off being when he's digesting) and he's very wriggly, but before I had him he was in a rather small RUB in a pet shop so I doubt he was getting much exercise.

Anyway, (terrible) pics!

And the little git finally staying still in a totally unhelpful position...

So yes, way more of my hand than anything else but any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 03/07/2013 : 19:31:16
Herriotfan is so right, as usual . NEVER apologise for asking a question or for being a newbie ....we all had to start somewhere and we're all still learning, even the 'experts' although they'd hate to admit it .

One point, you say you are handling 6 days a week, so only giving him 1 day to digest his meal. Most of us give 48hrs. Snakes do differ and the fact that it hasn't been an issue so far shows that it probably isn't an issue....but something to keep in mind.

Xxx
Coal Posted - 03/07/2013 : 13:43:43
lol thanks for being so understanding guys <3
mjpeters Posted - 02/07/2013 : 22:05:19
Better to ask than get anointed in poop
herriotfan Posted - 02/07/2013 : 21:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by Coal

Oh...

Shoulda' thought of that, guess I'm lucky that I didn't get 'blessed' then :P He is, uh... 'due' to go, and now that I think about it whenever I've noticed in the past he has gone shortly afterwards...

Well thanks very much for the replies guys and sorry for being such a newb

Never be sorry for asking a question.
We all have to learn and it's much better to ask than get things wrong.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 02/07/2013 : 20:13:06
It's allll good, we've all been there ^^
Coal Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:52:43
Oh...

Shoulda' thought of that, guess I'm lucky that I didn't get 'blessed' then :P He is, uh... 'due' to go, and now that I think about it whenever I've noticed in the past he has gone shortly afterwards...

Well thanks very much for the replies guys and sorry for being such a newb
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:52:18
He needs to poop. Dont worry aha
Moppet Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:43:24
Just looks like he needs to poo...
Red123 Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:41:49
Yep, poop store not a fat store
Razee Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:39:24
Looks more like he's ready for a giant poop :-)
coxymk2 Posted - 02/07/2013 : 19:11:51
He doesn't look to be a fatty more of the case of he is storing bit of poo my amel Boozer is exactly the same and it is always just a poo lump

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000