The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 >>>> CAN'T EAT <<<<

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
conormclaren Posted - 01/07/2013 : 00:01:03
hey there my snake has just moved on to fuzzies now as the place i brought it from said give him fizzies insted of pinkys now but omg they are a bit bit for his mouth he just cant eat it i mannaged to find a smaller one of the fuzzies and he just about got it down but the bigger ones even tho its only a little bit bigger he cant fit it down :/ should i just feed him two pinkys insted of one fuzzie or shall i just keep giving him the smaller fuzzies he is abot a foot and a half in length and about as thick as your middle finger what should i be feed him thanks for reading this :) x
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/07/2013 : 09:53:09
You can't go by how long a snake is as to what it can or should be eating. What's more of a guide is its weight. And I definitely wouldn't recommend feeding your snake anything that is more than 1.5 times wider than its widest part.

What was it on before you got it? You don't want to suddenly jump up on size before its ready. If it was just eating one pinkie, then it would be better to do a few feeds of double pinkies before moving onto fuzzies. This helps its stomach prepare for the bigger size and also means it's getting added calcium from having two.

They can eat things that are much bigger than their heads and bigger than we think they can manage. You say he can't fit the fuzzie down....did you try to feed it to him and he refused to eat it or tried to and stopped?

Read the VERY ROUGH guide to feeding so that you are better informed about what to do best for your snake where feeding is concerned.

Xxx
Coal Posted - 01/07/2013 : 08:44:23
It often looks like they can't get it down because of how wide they have to stretch their jaws and how long it can take them to finish eating but as Silverwings said, if it's 1.5x the width of his body or less it should be just fine :) It's up to you though, two pinkies would probably also be fine.
SilverWings Posted - 01/07/2013 : 02:10:01
At 1.5 feet he should be fine on fuzzies I think, our foot long king snake is taking fuzzies with no problem. They can handle anything up to 1.5 times their width, sometimes more; my Luna took a chick that was more than twice her width. Took a while but she got it down.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000