The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 sid not eating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crow Posted - 23/06/2013 : 12:07:10
i have owned sid for 8months now, he has always been a good feeder until recently i take him into the garden for his daily exercise lol, he loves it..he hasn't fed for 6weeks nowhe still sheds regular, measured him recently 5ft 4inches, so a god size..do i need to worry about him..it is my first snake..any info would be appreciated..thanks

Moved to appropriate section by Kellog
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 29/06/2013 : 20:47:30
Females can act the same as males during the breeding season Trish. I got my 2nd snake and it went off its food and was patrolling its viv, trying to escape. When it had disappeared into its cool hide for a few days I thought it was worth trying to feed it, went to get it out....and found 11 infertile eggs !! So SHE was not male, as I'd been told.

Not all males do it and not all females do it, but it does seem that once that urge kicks in you can virtually rely on it happening every year. One way you can be sure you have a male during this time is that if they get a bit excited while you're handling them they leave a deposit on you that definitely isn't poo !

All you can do is wait for nature to take its course and he will eat when he's ready. As I told Crow, just keep offering him food on his normal feeding day and maybe try with a fuzzie to see if something smaller tempts him. Also keep a record of his weight.

Hope that helps.

Xxx
trishorton Posted - 27/06/2013 : 20:47:57
Hi All

I was going to post a similar question, so I am glad I read this one first. Fergie hasn't eaten for 7 weeks now after previously escaping, which was all my fault as I left the door open whilst changing his water! Won't do that again! He was gone for 2 months, but had 2 fluffs the day after his return. He is constantly trying to escape and is very active when not asleep. I don't know if he is a male or female, but presumably, if he is feeling horny, he is a male. Or do females exhibit the same behaviour?

Trish
herriotfan Posted - 24/06/2013 : 09:20:06
All the boy wants is to get out and about to find a girlfriend....bless him!!
AcidicAngel Posted - 23/06/2013 : 20:59:50
Sounds horny to me XD I'm having a whale of a time not being able to handle my pair together right now since they are both in the mood for yet more loving despite having 10 good eggs from Sakana lol.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 23/06/2013 : 20:53:58
love is in the air *badly sings*
Kellog Posted - 23/06/2013 : 20:24:44
Sounds like he's definitely on the lookout for love . Just keep offering him food on his normal feeding days and maybe try him with something smaller to tempt him, but he'll be fine .

Xxx
crow Posted - 23/06/2013 : 13:50:10
thanks for getting back to me, come to think of it he has been trying to escape at every opportunity, so he is horny lol..will keep a close eye on him.cheers guys
Kellog Posted - 23/06/2013 : 12:50:05
6 weeks isn't long at all for a corn to go without eating. When I first got Kellog he refused to eat for me and that went on for 13 weeks ! It's how I found the forum and they explained that it was breeding season and totally normal. Is he more active in his viv than normal, patrolling around, trying to escape? That's all typical horny behaviour and at this time of year they can only think about females, not food.

Just to check, what is the set-up for him....heatmat, thermostat to control it, digital thermometer to monitor it? What is the temp in the warm end? You just need to check the usual things that might put him off his food, rather than just assume its down to the season.

Do you know what weight he is? If not, it's a good idea to keep a record of it. That way you can see if he's losing a lot of weight or not. It's amazing how little weight they lose during this 'natural fast'. I weigh mine before each feed, when I know they're 'empty'. Just get some digital scales with a shoebox on top, put them on zero and add Sid....easy .

You might try offering him something smaller than he's used to. That's how I got Kellog to eat this year, by tempting him with smalls instead of the large mice he usually has.

I would say don't worry....but I know that you will .

Xxx
ScalySituation Posted - 23/06/2013 : 12:32:11
At that size I'd say hes sexually mature, and therefore, horny. Just keep an eye on him, any rapid weight loss come back. he'll start feeding again once the summer ends

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000