The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 i dont think my snake is drinking :/

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
conormclaren Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:50:23
hello therei have had mycorn snake for just under a week now and i havent seen him drink his water its always fresh bottled water so he cant complain its dirty whats going on ?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Falice Posted - 22/06/2013 : 15:56:04
Everyone else seems to have given you fantastic advice, but I'm another one who hardly ever see's mine drink. The royal I have never seen drink since I've had him, and Ive had trevor for about 18 months and have only seen him drink a handful of times, It's great when you do catch them though it's so cute.
ScalySituation Posted - 22/06/2013 : 15:02:20
Nothing to worry about, ive had snakes for years, only seen one drink once!

He could also be hiding away if he's coming into blue
Razee Posted - 22/06/2013 : 13:05:28
+ 1 on what Scottishbluebird said - both my snakes will quite often drink, when handled.

I found out by accident, I had a bowl of water standing on the table, ready to top up the fish tank ( just waiting for chlorine to disperse ), and Bazil stretched right across, and drank, and drank. I change their water every day, so it can't be that he needed fresh water... maybe it just tastes better, when they're out :-)

Both my snakes do this, so I make sure I have some water in the bowl ready on the table, when they're out. - just because it's so nice to watch :-)

Otherwise, don't worry - as others have said, they will drink when you're not looking.
Moppet Posted - 22/06/2013 : 11:07:02
Many snakes are shy drinkers. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen any of mine drink in the last year. Apart from Andromeda, she doesn't seem to care who is watching

As long as you are providing a source of clean water, don't worry about your snake drinking or not. He will be drinking in secret.
lotabob Posted - 22/06/2013 : 10:44:34
I saw my house snake drink for the first time in 2 years two nights ago. I've only ever seen my boa drink once and the royal I've never seen. My corn breaks the rules and comes strait to the fresh water when it's put in. I tend to change daily but on occasion I've left them a day or 2 longer, it does them no harm but Spot is in the bowl before I even have it in the vivarium.
Lee Posted - 22/06/2013 : 10:08:00
My older corn drinks often when I'm watching or adjusting his viv, sometimes he's really gulping it down and it's cool to watch, never when I have a camera handy though. I should make a habit of leaving it on top of the viv so it's handy. I've seen one of the babies drinking and my female once or twice, I think once they are comfortable with you watching they will do it.
scottishbluebird Posted - 22/06/2013 : 00:51:24
Like everyone has said, he will be drinking, just in secret, once you get to the handling stage, and your corn is confident being out, have a glass of water handy, hold glass near *dont go trying to dunk him* and he will probably have a drink, Kellogs does this, its cool seeing them drink!
Kellog Posted - 22/06/2013 : 00:01:10
It's true what's been said Conor. I remember being really surprised when I posted a pic of Kellog drinking and all the comments I got from people who had never seen their snake drink, so you aren't alone.

Spraying his enclosure isn't necessary and it will make it too humid for him, which could be dangerous. He will be coming out at night or when you aren't there and having a good drink .

Welcome to the worrying world of corns !

Xxx
gmac Posted - 21/06/2013 : 21:25:47
Its unusual to see corns drinking, most likely is when you cant see it. I wouldnt worry about it just make sure its always got water and all is good
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 21:22:16
Its fine, however your better of asking the likes of Kellog as shes more experienced :)
conormclaren Posted - 21/06/2013 : 21:16:29
ok then thanks for the info much obliged :)
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 21:04:37
Not that im aware of, as long as there is a water bowl, they'll know where the water is. You could try spraying the enclosure and he could dab at the droplets but i highly doubt that's work and it can make it too humid for a snake.
conormclaren Posted - 21/06/2013 : 21:02:02
i hope so im getting scared for him is there enything i can do to try and encourage him to drink ?
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/06/2013 : 20:51:12
He may be drinking at night when your asleep. i only ever see my corn drinking after 11pm. :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000