The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 constricting corn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bigad Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:49:27
Hi my corn has been acting very strange lately. ever since she bit me a few weeks back she has been very antsy and brave coming out of her rock every time i go near her viv, whereas before she would hide.

Now she has started attacking her food quite violently and constricing her mice for a few minutes.

Is there any any reason why she would be doing this?
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 21/06/2013 : 14:58:06
Hi Bigdad,

If it is any help, I use the following two things in conjunction. First up I use this to control the heat mat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MicroClimate-Ministat-100-Vivarium-Thermostat/dp/B00820PSFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1371822420&sr=1-2&keywords=vivarium thermostat

In conjunction with this thermometer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007G0XNBA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to be absolutely brilliant to keep an eye on her vivarium temps, and I haven't had any problems with them at all. I know the mini stat is quite expensive, but if you can get your heat mat set just right you might only need the thermometer (which tells you the temperature in both new and old money with the flick of a switch).

I keep Cathy between 27 and 29 degrees centigrade and have had no problems with her. I hope your girl has started to settle down for you now
Kellog Posted - 19/06/2013 : 07:53:33
I think I suggested you try to feed her outside your viv in your other thread, when she bit you. It could be that she's associating your hand coming in with food, as that's where you feed her. You say she's eating 1 large mouse every 2 weeks. She's still fairly young and is growing so it may be that she's hungry. How much does she weigh?

As the others have said, your temps are an issue and it could be that stress because of that has caused this behaviour. I echo ScalySituation's question, is the heatmat controlled by a thermostat? And how are you measuring your temps? Is it with a digital thermometer with the probe resting on the heatmat or with a dial thermometer? Getting the temps right really is vital to her welfare.

Xxx
Slinkey23 Posted - 18/06/2013 : 21:47:47
Forgot to mention earlier, i noticed you said she has a feeding rock in her viv, with you feeding her in her viv she may see it as everything that enters the viv as a food source. So when youve picked up the rock all she has seen is a heat source coming from her usual feeding rock hence why she bit you, you could of been mistaken for prey! Try feeding her outside the viv so everything that enters is not associated with food, hope this helps.

Joel
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 18/06/2013 : 20:36:38
To me it sounds like you have a healthy and confident snake with a very good apetite. From what i read her heating is a bit low. But i say she is just fine :D
Moppet Posted - 18/06/2013 : 18:55:52
Sounds like a feeding response and hungry behaviour. Pretty normal this time of year for a female, she might just be trying to bulk up in case she gets the opportunity to breed.

Although as others have mentioned, check temperatures are spot on and everything is as it should be so that can be ruled out.
ScalySituation Posted - 18/06/2013 : 14:41:05
Is the heat mat run on a thermostat? You need a digital thermometer, with a probe sat on the mat, getting readings of between 27-29 degrees C
Bigad Posted - 18/06/2013 : 13:01:19
basically the story of the bite is. i have a feeding rock in her viv. i went to get it out to feed her. she made an effort 2 escape. and as i tried to usher her back in she struck my hand that was holding her rock. she latched ob thinking my finger was a mouse tgeb she wrapped around my arm and constricted.

the heat mat is in the viv under her hide. 21 is an average temp.
ScalySituation Posted - 18/06/2013 : 11:24:56
Heat mat needs to be on the floor of the viv, corns absorb heat best through their tummies :)
smart bunny Posted - 18/06/2013 : 11:12:03
21 as an overall viv temp is OK - but her heat mat should be about 29 as Scaly says. How are you measuring your temps? You need a digital thermometer probe on top of the mat. Also I assume the mat is thermostatted?

At that age she is an adult, so a large mouse every 10-14 days is pwerfect. It does sound like maybe it's just mating behaviour - or maybe she has just taken a while to settle in with you and is now more confident?

Also this bit:
She bit me when i was going to feed her she latched on to my finger and constriced my arm. there is a previous post on her with more info and pics of the bite marks she left.

That just sounds like a feeding response and nothing to worry about, did your hand smell of mouse at all? Or did she just miss the mouse? The only time I was tagged was with quite a new snake which missed the pinky I was holding, and got my finger instead lol! She soon realise I was a bit too big though :P
Bigad Posted - 18/06/2013 : 10:46:24
I have a heat mat on the side where her main hide is, then she has a smaller hide on the cooler side. She eats and sheds well.
ScalySituation Posted - 18/06/2013 : 10:04:36
Also her viv is too chilly, the temperature needs to be between 27 and 29 degrees C

How are you heating the viv?
Bigad Posted - 18/06/2013 : 09:55:55
how long will that last?

Can i double check in feeding her right. some one above mentioned her appitite may have increased. She is roughly 4 years old and 4 foot long. I feed her 1 large mouse every two weeks. she was on 1 medium every 2weeks when i got her 6 months ago. i then upped it to 2 mediums every 2 weeks until i used up all the mediums then bought large.

herriotfan Posted - 18/06/2013 : 09:46:36
Sounds like she's looking for a boyfriend!
Bigad Posted - 18/06/2013 : 09:38:15
She is 3-4 years old and roughly 4 ft. ive had her since jan so about 6 months. first 5 month she was very shy and timid.

She bit me when i was going to feed her she latched on to my finger and constriced my arm. there is a previous post on her with more info and pics of the bite marks she left.

Since then she has become very outward. if i go near her viv she is out her rock in a flash and up at the glass. if i open her viv she come pounding over. whereas previously she would had hid. i thought it might of been mating season that was making her a lil fiesty but its bern nearly 6 weeks now.

she has also constricted her food since she constricted me.

Her viv temp is normally between 19 and 21 but this warm weather has been pushing it to 23 on some days.
herriotfan Posted - 18/06/2013 : 01:50:50
How old is she, how long have you had her, what are the temperatures like in her home?
The answers to these questions could tell us a lot and then we can begin to help you more....
Slinkey23 Posted - 17/06/2013 : 23:06:18
She will be striking and aggressive out of defense, there are a few different ways to get your snake used to you such as wearing a tissue tucked i to your pants for a day an then keep it in the viv with her to get used to your scent. When your doing your daily water change touch a few items in the viv to spread your scent and also to let her know your in the viv and your not going to harm her. When your taking her out of the viv be calm, confident and try to avoid contact near the head. Some snakes will be fine with handling straight from day 1 where as some may be defensive and aggressive, youve just gotta keep at it with the handling and scent marking and she will get used to you, patience is the key!

As for the striking and constricting of the prey that it perfectly normal behaivour, be proud!
asmodias Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:58:00
im far from experienced but it sounds like her appetite has increased which is characteristic of females during this season i believe. it may just be a weird spell, snakes do have their moments

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000