The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake Training Sessions?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
asmodias Posted - 17/06/2013 : 16:28:05
So quite a few regulars around here have probably gotten used to my constant nagging questions and probably know a fair bit about my corns by now (and I really need to get around to making one of those fancy signatures :D).
In short, most of my corn snakes learnt that being aggressive was a pretty bad choice just by handling, but my youngest one (who isn't actually too young mind you) still has that "rear at everything, be cautious of everything, strike now and then" attitude and it's really quite annoying. Daily handling just doesn't seem to make this little monster learn.

So I'm thinking - is there some way to teach this little monkey? I know of tricks such as the scented sock, etc but that won't do. This little guy has to learn that being aggressive is not the way to go.
So, anyone think of any daily activities I could use to teach him what a big, grown, mature corny acts like and not what a little brat acts like?

TL:DR aggressive young corn, been reg handling for a while, need ideas on how to teach him how to not be evil.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
asmodias Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:37:42
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try more prolongued sessions each day, perhaps giving a daily gap and see if he prefers that and can pick it up. As I say, I've got nothing against getting a few tags from him or him simply being aggressive or nervous; I completely understand I've got to get a snake to do something that is completely unnatural for it as it is; I just find it worrying as all of my others picked it up fairly fast with little hassle whereas this one just seems to be reluctant as they come.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Kellog Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:00:45
I'm in total agreement with what everyone has said Will....and it may be why you're getting the response you are from this particular 'little monkey', because you are regarding him as such, as aggressive, as an annoying little monster and evil. Corns, as with other animals, will pick up 'vibes' from us without us realising.

Your other corns haven't 'learnt that being aggressive was a pretty bad choice just by handling'....they have just become tolerant to being handled, whereas this one hasn't. He isn't going to be 'trained' not to be 'aggressive', so taking a 'few extra minutes each day to try and get this guy to learn that little bit faster' isn't going to work in the way you want it to....but taking the time to have calm and patient handling sessions WILL give him the chance to come to realise you aren't the threat that he still feels you are.

Xxx
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 17/06/2013 : 21:56:06
I agree with what everyone else has said m'love. He may be 8 months old but he's still a baby learning new things. Some just dont like being hadled, no matter how much time you put in.
Example this - People have a fear of spiders and cant get over it no matter how much they try. People can put a spider right in front of you to try and get you 'over it' - sometimes it just doesn't work.
This can be the same case with your snake and handling.
smart bunny Posted - 17/06/2013 : 19:18:24
Personally I would reduce the handling sessions. If the snake is not keen on handling then doing so every single day is just going to stress it out more. Others have already posted this, but it's not being an 'agressive brat', it is a scared baby snake. Maybe he is frustrated that even though he keeps tagging you, you just won't learn to leave him alone?!

How long are you handling for? Fewer, longer handling sessions (eg maybe 20 mins if he calms down once out) are likely to be better than 5 minutes every day for example.
gmac Posted - 17/06/2013 : 17:40:46
some just wont tolerate being handled
asmodias Posted - 17/06/2013 : 17:00:34
If you say so guys. By now my other two had already grasped that I was a friend and not a foe; this little guy is anything but dumb, he's probably one of my smartest corn snakes but he was the most aggressive of his whole clutch and I just don't seem to be able to get him to learn. I mean, he's about 6-8 months old give or take and I just don't seem to be making headway.

I have no worries about time though Auld, this little guy has a fair while to learn but I'd rather take a few extra minutes each day to try and get this guy to learn that little bit faster.
herriotfan Posted - 17/06/2013 : 16:47:39
Your snake is just doing what is normal for a snake, trying to defend himself.
It really does take time with some snakes before they realise you're not a threat and some just never get the message.
The only thing you can do is to carry on with gentle handling and not putting your snake away while he's still biting and striking. Wait for him to calm down first. Not sure if it works but the idea of that is he gets the idea that being calm gets him what he wants...to get away from you!
I'd still keep a sock with your 'smell' on in his viv where he feels safest. Surely it's better than giving up on a positive resource?
Good luck.
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/06/2013 : 16:39:20
It is not being aggressive, it is AFRAID and doing the only thing it knows to deter what it sees as a great big predator lining up to have him for dinner.

It isn't the snake that needs to learn not to be evil but owners that need to learn patience to gain the confidence and understanding of their snakes.

BTW, it took me 10 months to win over my adult Florida King to be able to handle it without it running scared for cover.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000