The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Those that dont cover defrosting mice......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/06/2013 : 18:00:45
For those that dont cover defrosting mice, like me, just read other thread about how others do it, and i got the thought is it safe not to cover mouse? There have been flies in my house with the windows being open.
What are the chances of them laying eggs?
Please tell me i am being paranoid
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottishbluebird Posted - 24/06/2013 : 15:18:24
quote:
Originally posted by Coal

have time to hatch, and besides, others have obviously been doing it for a while with no ill-effects :)

Been doing that myself for 2 yrs, just now thought bout flies lol
Coal Posted - 24/06/2013 : 08:43:16
I just leave mine sitting on a tray between two folded up pieces of kitchen roll; keeps away the flies and the unpleasantness of having a dead mouse lying about in the kitchen but still means it's easy for me to check them and see if they've thawed. That having been said, I doubt there's any need to cover them; as other's have said any flies' eggs will not have time to hatch, and besides, others have obviously been doing it for a while with no ill-effects :)
AcidicAngel Posted - 23/06/2013 : 14:47:40
When I used to defrost by leaving them on the viv for hours I'd just put them on a paper plate and leave it at that till they were defrosted. I did that until about a month a go when I was in a rush so had to try defrosting them quickly in warm water and found that Sakana, who hasn't struck for food for the past 4 1/2-5 years and used to be very shy of eating when you're watching, preferred them that way and struck her mouse like she hadn't been fed for months! See Sakana struck once when she was about 3ft long when my uncle got her and then never struck again... So I was happy because I'd been trying to get her to strike and get over her "fear" of striking since getting her. Now she strikes like a trooper lol. Well she has her moments where she just wants to take it gently and go hide with it but she does strike now. Cereus has always been a striker lol. So now I defrost them in warm water in food bags The snakes prefer it because the mice are warm and it's quicker for me.
herriotfan Posted - 22/06/2013 : 23:03:39
I defrost mine on top of the beardies viv in an old ice cream tub. I just put a bit of kitchen roll over them when the flies are about during the warmer months. I don't really see a problem....
Jakkke_123 Posted - 22/06/2013 : 21:40:27
I defrost my medium mice in luke warm water for 1hour.
hayleylsl Posted - 22/06/2013 : 21:23:41
I don't defrost the mice in the microwave just to make that clear!!
hayleylsl Posted - 22/06/2013 : 21:22:48
I defrost Boris's mice in a small plastic tub which I now place in the microwave to keep it safe from one of my cats who decided she quite liked the idea of a no effort tasty snack and pinched it off the side, dropping it's remains on my living room carpet...
tk72 Posted - 16/06/2013 : 19:29:33
We get ours from pets at home and they are all individually packed and also not see through so the oh is ok with them being in with the human food. Get four mediums for £1.60 which is a good price to.
Red123 Posted - 16/06/2013 : 18:58:19
All of my mice, rats and chicks are defrosted in tubs or strong freezer bags, would never leave one just laying in the open to defrost, wouldn't want to risk a fly laying eggs on them
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/06/2013 : 22:28:50
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

My dog ate a pinkie I was defrosting. It must have still been frozen too disgusting beast he is. I now use a tub with a lid and its now out of reach of the horrid hound.

Your hound is NOT horrid,he is comical and cute
Lee Posted - 15/06/2013 : 20:45:40
tub with lid or sandwich bag for me, pinkies don't take long but a weaner rat can take a while so always cover.
lotabob Posted - 15/06/2013 : 19:38:03
My dog ate a pinkie I was defrosting. It must have still been frozen too disgusting beast he is. I now use a tub with a lid and its now out of reach of the horrid hound.
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/06/2013 : 17:07:23
Like Silverwings, one of my dogs eats flies, better than the cat!
Alan i REALLY HATE flies too, they drive me to an insane need to squish them if the dog cant get them!
Moppet Posted - 15/06/2013 : 12:06:18
I don't think eggs would do any harm even if they did lay them. They won't have time to hatch into anything and will be digested along with everything else I would think.
mjpeters Posted - 14/06/2013 : 22:39:26
I pop the mouseys in an open sandwich bag,with the end loosely folded over,on top of the cover glass under the lid of the 6'cichlid tank
here they dan defrost/warm nicely without worry over flies
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/06/2013 : 19:55:22
If there are any 'juices' leaking as the mice thaw out then flies will be attracted. They might lay eggs but won't be there long enough to hatch into maggots.

I always have the tub covered with the lid just laying on top. A sealed tub tends to build up a bit of a pong sometimes.

I hate flies!! Problem is that a fly spray might not be to good for my T's, mealies, crix and roaches. I have to make do with throwing the spray can.
ScalySituation Posted - 14/06/2013 : 19:14:26
I stick mine in the off oven to defrost, mainly to keep them out of the cats reach, but also out of the reach of flies
SilverWings Posted - 14/06/2013 : 18:51:45
Don't really get flies in my house, the dog tends to eat them all, but I do know flies much prefer really warm humid (and smelly) spots for laying eggs. As long as the mouse doesn't stay out long enough to start smelling then you should be fine, of course if it was smelling you wouldnt want to feed it to your snake anyway... But if you are concerned you could always cover it anyway :p I just let mine defrost on top of the exoterra viv, they sit on the metal mesh.
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 14/06/2013 : 18:08:44
Im sure if you're keeping an eye on the mouse while it defrosts and shew away flies before they near then you should be fine, otherwise i poersonally cover mine as they defrost

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000