The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How do you prepare your snake's food?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BILMAN Posted - 13/06/2013 : 16:57:56
If your mice are frozen do you leave it out to defrost by itself or do you put it in water from the kettle?

What's the safest way, or all all methods safe?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Slinkey23 Posted - 20/06/2013 : 23:34:30
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I leave the small stuff on top of the warm side of the viv till defrosted, if the heads need warming they go in a bag and into hot water for a few minutes. I use a bag because once I thawed a rat, put it in hot water and when I removed it the stomach burst open and was no so nice also the snake wouldn't eat it wet and gooey

Similar thing happened with one of my pinkys,mthe water seemed to fill it up an bloat it, after that i started using bags
Lee Posted - 20/06/2013 : 22:57:18
I leave the small stuff on top of the warm side of the viv till defrosted, if the heads need warming they go in a bag and into hot water for a few minutes. I use a bag because once I thawed a rat, put it in hot water and when I removed it the stomach burst open and was no so nice also the snake wouldn't eat it wet and gooey
smart bunny Posted - 20/06/2013 : 14:47:19
Um, I don't know about ratio - I probably put about 50/50, but always test it with my finger first so it is a comfortable temperature to put my hand in, and add more cold if it feels a bit hot.
BILMAN Posted - 20/06/2013 : 14:24:53
smart bunny, what would you say is the best ratio for cold and boiling water?
yalovit Posted - 19/06/2013 : 19:45:04
I used to let I defrost at room temp.some people want it nice and warm but my mist will eat an ice cube given the chance.lol
smart bunny Posted - 19/06/2013 : 16:13:58
If you have reduced the temperature of the boiling water with cold water then it is OK - but snakes should not have cooked food, and if you put a pink in boiling water it would start to cook it. I use either water from the hot tap or I use boiled water mixed with cold water so that it is fairly hot, but not hot enough to cook the mouse. I don't use a bag either... but then again I do have 1 snake I have to leave the mouse to defrost at room temp as she doesn't like hers wet, and the one time I tried a bag it leaked so still got wet lol!
BILMAN Posted - 19/06/2013 : 14:56:48
Ah okay, these ideas are much better than mine. I think I will just put the mice in a bag and put it in warm water for a while. How long would this take to defrost?

Can someone also tell me all the 'wrong' points of just putting the mice in boiling water with some cold water?
asmodias Posted - 17/06/2013 : 16:33:56
Drop them in a bag and put the bag in a bowl full of warm water. It dethaws them quickly and makes them nice and warm for my corns. That, and it's better than just dropping them in because feeding snakes a soaking dead mouse is just annoying.
twistedmonkey Posted - 16/06/2013 : 13:00:56
If its a work day I put the pinkie in a tub with the lid loose in the fridge and take out when I get home for an hour, then I put the bag in warm water from the tap for 5 mins before feeding.

On the weekend I just put it in the tub for an hour or two then heat up with warm water for 5 mins.

I buy my pinkies from pets at home atm so they come in sealed plastic bags
lotabob Posted - 16/06/2013 : 12:00:21
My are in a ventilated tub on top of the vivarium, I get them out in the morning and feed at night. About an hour before I feed I move the tub over the heat bulb to gently warm them up a bit for a better feeding response.
Sammysnake Posted - 15/06/2013 : 21:16:24
Cover and leave downstairs to come up to room temperature. Get Saracen into a tub with a lid on before bringing the mouse anywhere near him upstairs otherwise he gets VERY aggressive as soon as he smells it. Warm with a hairdryer, take the lid off and jump back as he darts out of the box snapping at anything that moves. Shove him and his box back in the viv and relax.

After that episode I can get Twilight out and give him a cuddle whilst he takes the mouse nicely from me. He's a much more refined eater!
Sta~ple Posted - 15/06/2013 : 13:10:16
I put take mine out and leave them out to defrost in a tub. Don't like the idea of soft boiling my mice :p

I would just them out on the side to defrost naturally if you have the time. Adult mice I leave mine 6/7 hours and they are fine :p sometimes I do defrost with warm water but never boiling as it makes big mice stick like hell.
BILMAN Posted - 15/06/2013 : 11:58:26
I was told by the girl I bought Snakey from to just put the mice in a bowl of boiled water and leave it for 2-3 minutes then after that let it cool for another 2-3 minutes. This would sometimes makes the stomach of the mice burst so then my old pet shop man told me to add a little cold water to the bowl first to stop the bursting.

Then the other day my father said there is a limit to how hot the water should be for bacteria to thrive so we're gonna try a new method. This old pet shop man I have been told has quite a few bad reputations.

What is the safest or best method I should use? Or should I just continue doing what I have always been doing?
tk72 Posted - 15/06/2013 : 08:48:14
I used to have to warm Colas up after defrosting. Had to use the hairdryer. She was a fussy feeder for a while but now seems to just enjoy them defrosted and takes them at room temp now.
Freddiesmum Posted - 14/06/2013 : 16:55:51
Can you imagine if the oven was on! haha.

I pop them in a sandwich bag, and defrost in warm (not boiling) water.
ScalySituation Posted - 14/06/2013 : 16:53:30
I just leave them in a tub, but then I have to find somewhere to put them away from the cats reach, normally in the oven (not turned on by the way)
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 14/06/2013 : 07:59:17
I put Cathy's mice (well, bit of an overstatement, she is currently on double pinkies) on a plate in between a bit of kitchen paper to defrost, on top of the wardrobe which is next to her viv. She seems happy with it so I don't see any reason to change (though when it gets colder, I will probably defrost them on top of her viv). The smell of it defrosting seems to stimulate her feeding response quite well as she was a really fussy feeder when I got her.
Moppet Posted - 13/06/2013 : 22:48:51
I take them out of the freezer, put them on kitchen roll and leave them out for an hour, two if they are bigger than a small just to be sure they're fully thawed out. Sometimes I give them a blast with a hairdrier, Apollo finds it easier to find the head if it is warm and Aphrodite is much more interested in warm food but both of them will eat without so normally I don't bother
jenjen23 Posted - 13/06/2013 : 22:11:08
In a tub on top of the vivs, the heat lamp makes the top warm so they defrost a bit faster and are slightly warmed. Both mine feed great on them
Thorne Walker Posted - 13/06/2013 : 21:26:05
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie

I run the hot tap til it is at its hottest and then fill a bowl with the hot water and chuck them in. After an hour or so I do the same but only for 5-10 minutes to get them nice and hot (more for my carpets benefit but the corns don't mind )

Basically my routine but I only leave them for 30 minutes before I switch the water out.

oh and I use a tall glass instead of a bowl..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000