The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Mouse legs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redware Posted - 12/06/2013 : 22:25:15
Hi all

Quick question, do people ever cut the front legs of mice before feeding them to snakes?

I was feeding Willow today and as she swallowed her fuzzy its fount legs seem to wedge either side of the outside of her mouth making it very difficult to swallow. She did get it down but I was worried for a moment.

Just wondered if this happens a lot and if cutting the legs off helps? Would it effect the balance of the nutrition (less bone)?

Thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Redware Posted - 13/06/2013 : 17:24:08
quote:
I think the only time it's a problem is when both front legs are sticking right out forwards so the snake gets the head in no problem, but both feet are then back where the snakes neck is

This is what happened to willow. I'm not too worried, she did get it down, it was only her 5-6th fuzzy and the largest she had had yet so when the legs got stuck to I thought uh oh! But she persevered and managed.

Thanks for all the comments good to know what people do.
Jono2411 Posted - 13/06/2013 : 15:00:15
With one of my milk snakes (she was a very sensitive feeder) I used to break the legs off when the mouse had just been taken out of the freezer, quick twist and done...

Most snakes it isn't a problem tho, especially not physically. I only used to do it as she would get freaked out sometimes if the legs poked at her...
andria2013 Posted - 13/06/2013 : 14:12:17
the legs seem to do same wghen albion n robin eating sumtimes but they manage wel with it even though it takes that little bit more time to eat it .
smart bunny Posted - 13/06/2013 : 10:58:00
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

If ya worried just twist them back an break them.

Yep, I've done that before now as well (but I still usually forget )
smart bunny Posted - 13/06/2013 : 10:56:41
I think it depends to be honest - and most of the times the limbs aren't a problem anyway - I think the only time it's a problem is when both front legs are sticking right out forwards so the snake gets the head in no problem, but both feet are then back where the snakes neck is lol - and I know plenty of people do remove the legs just to make things easier. Don't worry, the bodies are much softer and more supple when bigger, and besides you will no doubt take it all in your stride and will wonder why you worried about it :P
a33272 Posted - 13/06/2013 : 10:54:33
If ya worried just twist them back an break them.
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 13/06/2013 : 10:16:24
smart bunny I know Redware asked about fuzzies specifically but do the limbs stay stiff even with the larger sizes? I just have visions of me feeding Cathy eventually with a thoroughly defrosted full size mouse that is as stiff as a board!
smart bunny Posted - 13/06/2013 : 09:30:49
A couple of times in the past I have actually had to help one or other of the snakes when they have just struggled so much with forward facing legs. I stress this has only been 2-3 times in the past 18 months of keeping lol! It has only been after watching them really struggle for about 5 mins and getting nowhere, and I have gently folded the legs in for them with tongs so they are able to continue eating. I always intend to chop off any legs which look particularly awkward - but always forget lol! After all, 'in the wild' the food would have been freshly killed and limp, not defrosted and in some cases in my experience the joints can be quite stiff... :P
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 13/06/2013 : 07:58:52
Redware - I had the same worries too, until my girl took a pinkie sideways the other day (I think she was just showing off). We have now had (and this is in the 4 tong feeds that I have seen with her, she was rather secretive beforehand), a pinkie from the head, a pinkie taken from the head, put down and then taken from the tail end and now a pinkie taken sideways (she is only on doubles at the moment).

I think it is Isodael that handfeeds one of her snakes errant limbs that have come off in the freezer as treats. I am not quite there yet but would love to try that one as Cathy is quite delicate about all this eating business.

It never ceases to amaze me how big they are able to stretch their mouths open. I am sure Willow will be none the worse for the odd leg getting in the way. YouTube videos show some rather daft snakes eating in the most odd ways without any injury to them
herriotfan Posted - 12/06/2013 : 22:39:07
It happens to mine when they feed too but I don't cut the legs off.
Snakes are very well designed to deal with legs and all. There's nobody in the wild to cut the legs off!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000