The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Midas going into Blue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
twistedmonkey Posted - 09/06/2013 : 20:18:22
Midas is going into blue and his Viv is due for his monthly clean out

My question is do I go ahead with cleaning his Viv?

I know some people will handle and feed during this time, I'm just uncertain about leaving him in a different tub for a bit while I clean out and after that with everything being clean and smelling different, I don't want to stress him so I'd rather take some advice on whether I should leave cleaning the Viv out till his shed is over with. It will be his first shed in his new home
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
twistedmonkey Posted - 15/06/2013 : 11:26:07
Midas shed in the middle of last night, roughly six days after I noticed his colour was changing. I found the skin this morning when I awoke. He waited till I was sleeping but like you said I have years to see it

It was a nice clean one , the whole body to the tail was intact, only about 2 cm from the head. Took him out for a couple of mins just to check for any skin which might have still been on him.

So the plan is to clean the Viv tonight he also missed a feed on Tuesday, so my plan is to put him in his feeding tub with a hide, clean the rest out and dry it, once its ready put him back in and clean other hide and put it in later.

Ill also be able to get some pics later when he's feeding

Kellog Posted - 11/06/2013 : 08:09:02
There's no reason it shouldn't be Kevin , especially if he's taking a dip in his water bowl to help it along.

As for seeing it, I hope you do but, as you know, your chances are slim. I'm convinced its a corn conspiracy to keep us frustrated....they wait until our backs are turned, then slip out of their old skin and are slithering around showing off their new colours when we look back . At least you know you've got years of shedding ahead of you to catch him at it .

Xxx
twistedmonkey Posted - 10/06/2013 : 21:43:35
Ill go with some kitchen roll in the future, anything that helps me to understand him more and doesn't stress him is good in my books

He's still in hiding moving from hide to hide, noticed his water bowl is more empty than usual so looks like he had a dip when I was at work. I hope I get to see it but after reading the posts on here I'd be a very lucky owner to see his first shed with me I just hope as you said Judith its a nice clean one
smart bunny Posted - 10/06/2013 : 20:37:34
I always use kitchen roll on the floor of my fauns - then put a little substrate on top for hiding in (very small amount over the heat mat obviously).
Kellog Posted - 10/06/2013 : 19:01:52
Everyone is spot on about leaving Midas be while he's blue Kevin. It's a stressful time for snakes and it would be hard for him to be disturbed and then put back into an almost new environment.

I've never dealt with littles ones but if you feel that putting some kitchen roll under the substrate would help you to monitor when and were he goes, then it's a good idea. You'd be fine putting it over the heatmat as well. A lot of us have things covering our heatmats to protect them, I use vinyl slate, although its not necessary.

I do hope you get to see Midas shed and that it's a good clean one .

Xxx
twistedmonkey Posted - 10/06/2013 : 11:33:58
I do spot cleaning daily checking through the substrate for poop and such. He tends to do it a day before his feed so far its a very small amount due to his size atm sometimes its obvious with the colour other times a bit of rummaging is required.

I was thinking on his next clean out to put a bit of kitchen roll under the substrate for a few days or more till he defecates avoiding the heat mat area as to not block any heat, this may help to get a better feel of his routine. And it would be easy to replaced when I find it.

Any thoughts on that idea would be appreciated
herriotfan Posted - 10/06/2013 : 09:08:50
I have to agree with the others. Shedding can be quite enough stress for a snake without adding any extra. Leave the viv clean until he's shed.
smart bunny Posted - 09/06/2013 : 23:03:24
I agree, an extra week before cleanout won't hurt at all as long as you are still spot cleaning :)
twistedmonkey Posted - 09/06/2013 : 22:49:38
Thanks for the quick reply

Ill keep an eye on him and see how he goes with shedding, he has been hiding a lot when he's normally quite active after 18.00 so apart from his daily water change ill leave him be and let nature take its course
Moppet Posted - 09/06/2013 : 21:27:50
I would leave him until after he has shed. Some of my snakes get quite stressed being handled or moved when they are blue. Some of them couldn't care less but until you know how Midas feels about it I would be cautious and avoid stressing him out

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000