The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Best Subs for Messy Snakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 03/06/2013 : 23:45:44
Just looking for everyone's input / view for the best substrate for the messier of snakes. George is considerably clean. But on the other hand Belle my Cali, loves to make big messes.

I'm currently using beach chips, but these proving expensive are not really cutting out at the job.

I have come across some astro turf, that I can cut several down to size and hose them down and leave to dry.

But would like to consider my other options.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes to this topic
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 15/06/2013 : 17:28:57
He's still find way to do it I'm sure :( I swear, he has a special place he hides his poop to uncover later on and roll in it :s
smart bunny Posted - 15/06/2013 : 16:39:19
Oh yeah I know - I didn't know if you wanted to buy small amounts just for the king ;)
Sta~ple Posted - 15/06/2013 : 15:20:56
Still not as cheap as Aubiose though :p £10 for 20kg :p Just depends if I can get it where I am now otherwise I will be buying Lignocel again. I know you can get multiple bags for a tad cheaper :P
smart bunny Posted - 15/06/2013 : 14:56:12
Stapey, I found for clumping and spot cleaning the swell soft chip bedding is great - better than lignocel, it's a bit like aspen but apparently a bit softer. Lignocel is cheaper for several snakes though as you can buy it in bulk...
Sta~ple Posted - 15/06/2013 : 13:20:36
Everything I use gets everywhere! Megazorb, aubiose and lignocel, (spelt them all wrong probably lol!)it all ends up round my flat somehow. For sucking up poops though, megazorb is the best. Juts a tad too dusty for one of mine.

It is a preference thing though, as soft as lignocel is, I seem to burn through it faster than I would like so will probably stick to Auboise if I can source some where I am now.

Wish there was something that made the poop disappear, sick of my king rolling in his mess!
Welshlamb Posted - 07/06/2013 : 17:19:10
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

........I think this megazorb should be on the main care sheet to this site. It's by far the best substrate and I've tried them all. From Carpet, Aspen, Chips, Wallpaper. Megazorb beats them all

I'm glad you're so pleased with the Megazorb, Ashley . There are other products similar, like Lignocel which I've just changed to and know a number of others have too. I know i wont be using anything else now I've tried it.

The substrate you want to use for your snake is a very personal choice....and for some Megazorb just wouldn't be right. I do agree that the care sheet could probably do with updating though, to include the newer products like Megazorb, Lignocel and Repticard.

Xxx

Never tried Lignocel. Happy with megazorb at present. Although its got a sweet sickly smell, but hopefully that disappears. It's a little dusty tried sifting it through a sieve. But doing this for 2x5FT vivariums will take a lot of time. So ill just live with it.

I will try Lignocel next though. But this 80L bag is going to last a long time. Will let you know how I get on.
Kellog Posted - 07/06/2013 : 12:20:58
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

........I think this megazorb should be on the main care sheet to this site. It's by far the best substrate and I've tried them all. From Carpet, Aspen, Chips, Wallpaper. Megazorb beats them all

I'm glad you're so pleased with the Megazorb, Ashley . There are other products similar, like Lignocel which I've just changed to and know a number of others have too. I know i wont be using anything else now I've tried it.

The substrate you want to use for your snake is a very personal choice....and for some Megazorb just wouldn't be right. I do agree that the care sheet could probably do with updating though, to include the newer products like Megazorb, Lignocel and Repticard.

Xxx
Welshlamb Posted - 06/06/2013 : 17:18:02
Cheers Figs! And all others. Megazorb is amazing! Will never go back to chips.
Belle decided to go to toilet and it held up amazingly. Clump together no problems.

I think this megazorb should be on the main care sheet to this site. It's by far the best substrate and I've tried them all. From Carpet, Aspen, Chips, Wallpaper. Megazorb beats them all
Welshlamb Posted - 05/06/2013 : 15:58:06
Just had an email. Megazorb is on it's way will be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the help all
Welshlamb Posted - 05/06/2013 : 10:16:20
Thanks for the help. Have ordered a bale. Ill give it a try with my king first. She's the messier of the two. Hopefuly I like it. I'm not a fan of tunnels, as I love to be able to see the snakes. But ah well I can't always win.
lotabob Posted - 05/06/2013 : 00:09:54
I get my Megazorb from the same place a scaly and it's always top notch, quick delivery, great price and lasts ages. Smells lovely and I never see my house snake, he tunnels through it like a pro, just pat it down a bit. I don't find it dusty either. In fact I love this stuff, it clumps like cat litter when it's wet so the mess can be picked up easily. It's also safe when accidentally swallowed (by the snake, don't eat it). I think it looks great too, like gravel, I've had friends comment about the gravel and I show them its just fluffy paper. You'll never go back.
ScalySituation Posted - 04/06/2013 : 18:18:27
Its great :) really soft and fluffy for them to lay on
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 18:14:53
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I dont have an issue with dust. Not many tunnels, but my snakes have never been big on tunneling anyway

Ok thanks, I think youve sold the idea too me.
ScalySituation Posted - 04/06/2013 : 18:13:22
I dont have an issue with dust. Not many tunnels, but my snakes have never been big on tunneling anyway
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 17:38:34
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine, i cant for the life of me remember where i got it from though :O, hold on, i still have the box downstairs and it was sealed with tape with the shops name on it, i go look for you

EDIT: here you go, farm and pet place, £7.60
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

Thank you. Will have a look at this. My main concern is will it create a loads of dust? Does it stop tunnelling ?
ScalySituation Posted - 04/06/2013 : 14:38:17
I'm sure I didn't pay that much for mine, i cant for the life of me remember where i got it from though :O, hold on, i still have the box downstairs and it was sealed with tape with the shops name on it, i go look for you

EDIT: here you go, farm and pet place, £7.60
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 14:31:29
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

It only comes in huge bags lol - 85L they are!
I got mine from here; http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid2810/cid358/northern-crop-driers-megazorb-bedding-85-litres.asp

Hmmm... £14.00
Figs Posted - 04/06/2013 : 11:58:12
It only comes in huge bags lol - 85L they are!
I got mine from here; http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid2810/cid358/northern-crop-driers-megazorb-bedding-85-litres.asp
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 11:22:01
Where do I get this from ?
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 11:19:50
Doesn't look very nice to look at. But I think I'll buy some and trial it on belle as she is one dirty girl

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000