The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Help with ceramics please!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 09:37:50
Up until now I have stuck with heat mats both because they are simpler and I think the vivs look nicer without a huge bulb guard hanging about lol, but our next acquisition will require a ceramic when older so I thought I may as well just bite the bullet and start understanding them now!

So... what would I need for a 2ft viv, either an old VX or the new viva/monkfield so approx 2 x 1.5 x 1.5?

And how do you work out the correct bulb wattage?

Also, I just want to double-triple check - it is the pulse stats which can be used for both ceramics and mats isn't it - and would the pulse be recommended for ceramics or would a dimming actually be better?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 17/05/2013 : 11:26:51
Hmph, even more annoyed now - I DID leave a note on the door yesterday for the 20 mins I was out on the school run, asking it to be left either in a designated safe place or with the builders working next door all day if needed signature. Have just phoned up to be told 'I wasn't in when delivery attempted yesterday'!!! WTF - well there was no note through my door to state delivery attempted so I'm afraid I don't believe them, especially as I know I was here at all other times! I didn't even do anything noisy like vacuum or anything so I could be sure of hearing them lol!

Edit: It's here!!! Yippeeeeee, off to build a viv!!
a33272 Posted - 17/05/2013 : 11:13:15
Just leave a note on door saying to leave it some where an sign it.
smart bunny Posted - 17/05/2013 : 09:50:21
Grrr what happened to my guaranteed next day delivery?! So annoyed I waited in all day yesterday and had my fingers crossed it would arrive in the morning so I could get started, but it didn't show up at all!! Will give them an hour or so to see if it gets her this morning then chase it up - I got the dispatch email from Swell Tues evening though so can't blame them...

Really needed to go to the supermarket today as well, running out of food, and I do NOT want to have to go tomorrow with two monsters darling children in tow!
Donnie Posted - 15/05/2013 : 22:23:00
That bulb may fit fine, my original bulb I bought (can't remember the brand) was a bit longer (in 1st pic) but I could still hold my hand there but it blew after a few days so I got the Komodo one (only one in my local shop) and it was a bit shorter so I have bought those from then on. If you don't think yours fits to well and they won't take it back then I am sure it will be fine for a backup bulb (always good to have one)
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 21:25:14
Those photos are fab Donnie, thank you so much. I really appreciate the help from both you and Auld Baldy. I did actually get that bracket in the end as I decided although I am perfectly capable of wiring things up (my grandfather was an electrician and from an early age had me wiring plugs/adding in switches to cables etc unlike a lot of the girls I met at uni who just did not have a clue ), I really didn't want to faff about too much with fiddly wires lol! Hmm, may not be able to use the exo terra bulb I bought though if it's too long lol!

(Yes, it may be hubby's snake, but I'm still the one sorting the viv out )
Donnie Posted - 15/05/2013 : 20:58:23
This is the arcadia bulb holder and pro-rep guard I installed

I had to make a small notch to make the guard fit around the bracket but it was really easy to do

I bought the komodo brand ceramic as they seemed to be a little bit shorter just to keep the bulb away from the guard at the bottom but even with such a small gap I can hold my hand on the bottom and it does not burn

Donnie Posted - 15/05/2013 : 18:45:37
Oh and I vote for a carpet python forum as well
Donnie Posted - 15/05/2013 : 18:42:40
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Thanks so much Auld! Right, OK, so I have got the pulse stat and bulb in 'the basket', am hoping to use swell reptiles as they are cheaper and will deliver tomorrow, but cannot find a dual probe thermometer on there so will have to get 2 exo terras instead, I assume that is OK lol.

Is this holder OK or is there something better (read, easier to fit lol) out there? http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-415/reptile-light-fittings-487/arcadia-ceramic-lamp-holder-bracket-8899.html

Hmm, I assume this bulb guard would be OK (the straight one not angled) they don't seem to come in different sizes... http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-lighting-415/reptile-light-fittings-487/prorep-spot-lamp-guards-38473.html

Thanks again

That is the same bulb holder that I use. If you don't go for that one be careful with the ones you get off fleabay as a lot of them do not come with heat resistant cable. When I have got the kids to bed I will switch the laptop on and put some pics up of my ceramic setup.
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:45:53
I use this one. Need to get a length of heat resistant cable as well but you can get that from any electrician.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vivaruim-CERAMIC-heat-bulb-lamp-light-ES27-LAMP-HOLDER-/220530111368?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item33589e7388

It comes with a free T as well. Bonus!
Blackcat Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:31:49
Nor in my house - have enough with the house spiders I allow to freely wander about
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:28:31
No WAY is a tarantula appearing in this house!!!
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:26:30
Opps, I didn't find that thermometer - and it's cheaper than the exo terra, thanks lol!

Right, so I looked at the swell version lamp holder but couldn't see any obvious way to fix it to the viv... have seen this on eBay, am not worried about wiring a plug, and it has an attachment on the actual holder for screwing directly to the ceiling so may go for that instead then or something similar, will have to investigate further... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERAMIC-Vivarium-Heat-bulb-Lamp-Light-LAMP-HOLDER-kit-/220532008443?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3358bb65fb

Thanks again! :D

Lol yep, need a carpet forum :P
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:21:47
The natural progression is to get a T. They don't take up much space which means you can get lots.
Blackcat Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:18:03
I do think they are stunning snakes but I just don't have room or time.
Congratulations on getting a new vx24 (I still have my vx24 empty for now)
Still looking at House snakes and have the chance of rehoming a Milk snake, so it may not be empty much longer
Auld Baldy Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:14:02
Heck of a price for the lamp holder. If you were any good at a little bracket DIY you can get the porcelain holder for a couple of quid on e-bay. The only thing I don't like about that bracket is that it has to be mounted on the side or back panel. I prefer it mounted away from the sides on the top panel.

I use these dual probe thermometers:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-heating-equipment-414/thermometers-501/lucky-reptile-thermometer-deluxe-12900.html

You don't have to use the dual probes, set up is possible with using a single. But it is always handy to keep an eye on the cool side temp anyway.

Proportional Pulse Stat is designed for the ceramics (and mats).
Dimming Stat is designed for heat lamp bulbs and requires a minimum load to work efficiently. It is also more expensive.

So, when are we setting up the Carpet Forum?
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 13:05:40
Awwwwww :( but you could get an IJ - they don't get so big... lol!

We are not sure what we've got to be honest, hubby just fell in love with her straight away a couple of weeks back, but the owner had originally wanted to sell her as one of a pair and we did NOT want 2. We just kept popping in and eventually they caved in and found a buyer for the other one so we could have her on her own lol! Pretty sure she's got at least some coastal in her, so will have to wait to see how big she gets. Obviously we know she could get anywhere between 5 and 12 feet!!!

Also managed to get a brand new VX24 as well which is really cool as it goes perfectly with our current old-style vivexotic vivs, and it will be Hoggy's home when she outgrows it.

So basically, hubby is a very happy bunny today and I'm off to start building/sealing another viv :D
Blackcat Posted - 15/05/2013 : 12:50:25
I realised that after I had posted
Looking forward to photos once you have him/her home - but I wont be following you down the route of python ownership
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 12:44:32
He he he, that's right :D

It's OK, that one I linked to is a ceramic holder, but thanks for the warning :)
Blackcat Posted - 15/05/2013 : 12:41:42
It is going to be a carpet python - suddenly remembered a previous post from you
Make sure your bulb holder and cable from it are suitable for ceramics - need to be able to withstand heat I think, normal bulb holders will melt if I'm not mistaken
smart bunny Posted - 15/05/2013 : 12:31:03
He he he, Auld will know... actually we purchased the girly this morning, so now desparately setting up the viv so we can collect her next week when I will post piccys :P

She's hubby's birthday present... have a guess ;)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000