The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 shedding help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
anthony_crow12 Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:02:16
Hi guys my corn has been shedding since 6pm last night and it still hasnt came off, its just past his head anyhelp would be great i have just had him through a damp cloth and little bit did loosen am goin to run out and get some moss thanks guys
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anthony_crow12 Posted - 07/05/2013 : 11:54:09
yeah i will be next time, at least i no now thanks :D
herriotfan Posted - 06/05/2013 : 18:51:54
Great that he's shed now. Next time just up the humidity as soon as you notice him going blue.
anthony_crow12 Posted - 06/05/2013 : 18:23:47
I had a nice day at the beach with my son harley so the house was quiet for jasper, yeah this a fantastic forum you and everyone else is so help fully so thankyou
Foxtrotsierra Posted - 06/05/2013 : 13:29:35
That is fantastic news for you both. I hadn't been able to offer any helpful advice, but have been following this thread. I think both you and Jasper deserve a day off now.

I really find it heartwarming that you took such notice of your snake and asked for help immediately. This forum is was the tipping of the scale when I was asking my husband if I could have a snake. The fact that so many people are willing to give such fantastic advice and so freely and quickly is what did it for him.

Hope you both have a day off today and he has a successful feed tomorrow for you
anthony_crow12 Posted - 06/05/2013 : 12:56:54
Were happy now the tub worked a treat his skin just peeled off in the towel and he looked so pleased bless him, i will be leavin him a day or so get over the stress
Thanks for the help i have learnt a lot now and my lesson thankyou :)
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2013 : 10:37:54
Sorry he hasn't managed to get rid of it yet Anthony . Do hope some time in the tub will help.

Xxx
anthony_crow12 Posted - 06/05/2013 : 10:18:56
Well still not so good so now hes in the container now so i hope it works poor thing thanks for the advice
Kellog Posted - 06/05/2013 : 08:37:34
Poor Jasper ....and poor you, I know it's worrying. Herriotfan has given you some great advice....although I would add an extra bowl of water on his heatmat rather than move his drinking bowl there, its better for him to have a cool supply of water to drink. If that doesn't work you could try this (which I must add to the 'Shedding and dealing with shedding problems' stickie) -

This is an excellent method of helping Jasper get rid of the retained shed and making it as stress-free as possible. Put a damp towel or pillow case in a tub, or whatever container is suitable for his size, and place Jasper in, covering it with a damp tea towel. By leaving Jasper like this, for approximately an hour or so, you are helping to hydrate the skin and that, in turn, will help him to remove the remaining shed itself, rubbing against the towel/pillowcase.

This should deal with any retained shed and further help shouldn't be required, but if it is you can attempt to remove what remains by just allowing him to 'squirm' through a damp tea towel, as you've tried before. It should be more successful this time as his skin has been hydrated and should come off easier.

Hopefully none of this will be necessary and he'll have managed to get rid of that retained shed by now . It may be worthwhile to up his humidity slightly next time he goes blue, so this doesn't happen again. You'll find out how to in Shedding and dealing with shedding problems .

Xxx
anthony_crow12 Posted - 05/05/2013 : 12:06:57
Just sorted the moss out so hopefully he uses it the cloths did help a little, a nightmare of a first shed haha thanks of the advice :)
herriotfan Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:32:36
Use the moss hide, put a damp cloth on top of the hide in the warm end, move his water to the warm end and leave him for a couple days. That may enable him to complete the shed on his own. If not, after the couple of days give him a tipid bath and let him run through a rough old towel. If that all fails come back for more suggestions!!
Mamma Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:20:07
how did you and the snake get on?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000