The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Can anyone help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dixon Posted - 04/05/2013 : 19:13:46
Hi,

This is off topic as it is about my Bairds rat snake but as I have been told they share similarities with Corns I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

My Baird has not eaten since February and I took it to a reptile vet last Saturday who thinks it may be in an extended period of brumation. He examined it and says it is in perfect condition and is active and healthy.

The last couple of days I have noticed that it is rubbing it's jaw against the ground with enough pressure to make the neck/jawline expand and then it rubs the side its body against the rocks, hides etc. in the viv. It appears to arch its body and goes quite rigid as it moves around before eventually going back to normal.

The snake is probably about 5 years old but certainly fully grown I would think at 5.5 feet and 1 kilo in weight and I do not know if it is male or female as it was found in north London and given to me.

I have never seen my Corn or any of my other snakes do this and wondered if it was a sort of mating ritual, even though it is housed on its own.

Has anyone out there had any experience of similar behaviour in their snakes.

Cheers
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 05/05/2013 : 10:42:11
If this were a cornsnake I'd say it's down to the breeding season for sure.
I wouldn't think there's too much difference between the corn and the rat snake when it comes to breeding behaviour?
Auld Baldy Posted - 05/05/2013 : 03:03:16
If it checked out OK with the vet then it is probably just breeding season behaviour. Don't worry too much about not eating, they can easily go 4 months without anything. Just keep the water dish fresh.Try and get an accurate weight for reference.

My Kings, Corns and Grey Rat are all at some stage of non-feeding and nose scrubbing just now.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000