The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermostat range

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Redware Posted - 28/04/2013 : 08:32:03
Hi all.

First of all I decided I couldn't wait any longer and have got my snake . Lovely little caramel girl she is cb12 and about 6 months old (photos when she comes out of hiding!).

I have her all set up in her new Faunarium as per littleMick's great sticky.

The thermostat (MICROclimate international ministat 100) is set to ~29oC and is cutting in and out well but seems to have a large temp range for its cut in and out.
It is very consistently cutting in when the temp drops below 28.0oC and cutting out when it hits 31.0oC according to the digital thermometer I have banded to the sensor. Both are flat to the Faunarium floor and positioned just behind the hot hide.

Does this sound about right? The care sheet says to have it at 30oC. I can change the stat if the 3oC range should cover different temperatures.

The snakey (still need a name!) doesn't seem to care anyway she did a lap or two of the Faunarium and has hidden in the cool hide (a coconut hide I cant really see into) since, though I have a suspicion she came out to do a lap or two to spite me while I was out last night and wasn't there to see her.

I'm assuming this is normal behavior for her too, and I should just leave her be to settle in?

Sorry that was pretty much 3 messages in one!

Ben
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 30/04/2013 : 21:47:43
I would personally tweak it down slightly so the top end cut off is around 28~29
Kellog Posted - 30/04/2013 : 06:39:48
As Dancross said, its normal for her to be hiding away while she gets used to her new home and she is probably out exploring when you are asleep. I'm really glad that you're planning on getting her feeding before you handle her . It's what I'd do, but I know others can't resist the temptation to handle before feeding .

Snakes do have favourite hides, I know mine do. If you are concerned and think it could be an issue, it might be worth swapping the hides round, so the coconut hide is in the warm end for when you feed her. That way you can see whether she is choosing to be in it because she prefers it or if she is choosing the hide in the cool end. I had to do that with one of mine. Having said that I know that some corns choose to stay in the cool end, even when they are digesting their meal. There is nothing you can do about it if that's the case, except maybe leave her for a bit longer to digest before you handle her.

As Herriotfan has said, don't worry about being 'paranoid'. We've all been there....and some of us still are despite having had snakes for years ! I also agree with her about your snake being blessed to have you as her owner....someone who really cares about getting everything as right as possible for her .

Xxx
herriotfan Posted - 29/04/2013 : 19:09:22
If it bothers you that the temp might be a bit too high just turn it down by one degree and see how that goes.
Caramels are beautiful snakes. I've bred my caramel stripe with my amber so hoping for some gorgeous wee hatchlings if we get some good eggs!
Please don't worry about being 'paranoid'....it's great that you want to get it right. Your snake is one of the lucky ones who will reward you for your care.
Redware Posted - 29/04/2013 : 18:40:06
Thanks Kellog

I will probably get her happy and feeding before I handle her even though I am desperate to! Want her to be settled and eating before then.

Another question, while I have been out at work and so cant say for certain where she has been, she has been in the cold hide the whole time I have been home. She last ate 3 days before I bought her (sat) so she is probably not digesting much (she pooped on the reptile shop keeper so that meal has found its way through .) Is this normal?

Just concerned because the hide in the hot end is more open (exo terra reptile cave small) and so I am worried she is not going there because she finds it too exposed and so is staying in the much more confined coconut shell hide at the cold end.

Prob just being paranoid but any thoughts welcome, I just want to get this right!

Thanks
Kellog Posted - 28/04/2013 : 20:36:00
Firstly, congratulations on getting your caramel . She needs a name!! Secondly, I'm not at all surprised you couldn't wait any longer !

I had the same issues Razee mentioned with my microclimate on/off, it was cutting out at 30oC but not turning on until it had dropped to 25oC . I wasn't happy with such a temperature drop so changed it for a Habistat pulse. Your temperature drop is lots better and within the range of where you want it to be. PERSONALLY I wouldn't want to see the temp get as high as 31oC, but as its immediately cutting out then and not staying at that temp I'm sure it will be fine. You could try tweaking the stat slightly to see if you can get it down a degree without dropping too far out the bottom, but it's not vital.

If you put yourself in her scales it's not surprising she's hiding away....she's had the stress of being moved, a new home with new smells and a great big monster who can't wait to get hold of her !! Give her time and she'll be fine . Might be worth reading the Handling tips while you wait until you can handle her.

Xxx
Redware Posted - 28/04/2013 : 13:44:51
Thanks for the replies all.

Good to know that this is normal for this Stat. Do people think it is better to leave as is or turn it down slightly?
lupi lou Posted - 28/04/2013 : 12:41:48
the micro climate has a 4-5 degree variance between the top end temp and the low end temp, I have micro climates and both of mine do this.If it really bothers you the habistat mat stat is much more stable in its on/off temp range.
Look forward to seeing pics of your new addition
Razee Posted - 28/04/2013 : 12:40:39
You got your stat actually working quite well, compared to what my Microclimate 100 used to do. It ranged around 4 or more degrees within 10 minutes, no matter, whether the probes were on the mat, or on the bottom of the faunarium.... I got so fed up with stressing over it, that I bought the pulse stat ( still a Microclimate ), and that one works really well.
a33272 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 10:52:19
Unfourtunatly this is how the basic on/off stats.
Redware Posted - 28/04/2013 : 09:17:54
No its not consistently at 31C. The second the digital thermometer hits 31.0C it cuts out and drops quite quickly back to 28C (maby over about 3 mins) and then slowly climbs back up again over about 10mins.
Dancross0 Posted - 28/04/2013 : 08:52:56
As long as the temps are not constantly at 31C, you should be fine. You can always turn the stat down a degree if needed.

And hiding away is quite normal for a new snake; it's still getting used to it's new surroundings. Once she is comfortable, she'll come out in her own time...

Congrats on getting a caramel, they're lovely coloured snakes and change a hell of a lot as they get older!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000